Egg Dimensions Help

Morning guys,

I live in SoCal and almost always surf SanO at the point and Blackies/lower jetties.

I’m 6’2 and 185-190lbs. Mainly on the 185 side.

Been surfing for 3 years 2-3 times a week. Have snowboard background and skating.

Coming from a performance log @ 9’4 x 21 3/4” x 2 7/8” and another @ 9’4 x 23” x 3” (BOTH 2+1’s)

Recently discovered the egg shape. Wanting something in the 8’0 range so I still have paddle power but waaaaay more maneuverability.

I went with a over easy by Tim Stamps. Dims are 8’0 x 22 1/4” x 2 3/4”

I was torn on those or going 8’0 x 22 1/2” x 2 7/8”

I just don’t want a corky board. I’ve surfed them before and they’re the worst. You can’t dig the rail and it just trims.

Are my original dims too small or good for my size?

I would trust whatever Tim recommended. He has always been right IME.

Any aspect of his boards I didn't like were my own doing.
It is a 2+1. He recommended that I go with that. I trust the dude for sure.

It’s just that his site has basic dims for his Egg.

7'6" x 22 1/4" x 2 3/4"
7'8" x 22 3/8' x 2 13/16"
7'10" x 22 1/2" x 2 7/8"
8'0" x 22 5/8" x 3"

I went with the 8’0 but 7’6 dims. Just fearful it won’t be enough paddle or won’t be stable. It may just be me being paranoid about a new board purchase in a territory I’m unfamiliar with.

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Sounds perfect

Are you going 2 plus 1 or 5 fin convertible?

I think it's better to have thinner rails on the 5 fin option boards since you have more fin area on rail

View attachment 80986View attachment 80987
It is a 2+1. He recommended that I go with that. I trust the dude for sure.

It’s just that his site has basic dims for his Egg.

7'6" x 22 1/4" x 2 3/4"
7'8" x 22 3/8' x 2 13/16"
7'10" x 22 1/2" x 2 7/8"
8'0" x 22 5/8" x 3"

I went with the 8’0 but 7’6 dims. Just fearful it won’t be enough paddle or won’t be stable. It may just be me being paranoid about a new board purchase in a territory I’m unfamiliar with.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I wouldn't deviate from his standard dimensions in those lengths. At your stature you have no reason to.

Here's the thing about volumes and float - you only need enough to do what you're doing. After that the extra is just getting in your way.

If you have technique you'll be able to duckdive a 7-6 a lot more easily than an 8-0. Presumably you're going to be breaking this board out in bigger conditions than you'd surf your 9-4 in, so just getting out to the lineup becomes a factor. Paddling through 10-wave sets in shoulder high conditions will call for some duckdiving.

With smaller boards it becomes more about positioning and timing than about running the wave down from 50ft away. I'd go so far as to suggest that more length becomes more of a hassle than a help in those conditions.

Last edited:
I wouldn't deviate from his standard dimensions in those lengths. At your stature you have no reason to.

Here's the thing about volumes and float - you only need enough to do what you're doing. After that the extra is just getting in your way.

If you have technique you'll be able to duckdive a 7-6 a lot more easily than an 8-0. Presumably you're going to be breaking this board out in bigger conditions than you'd surf your 9-4 in, so just getting out to the lineup becomes a factor. Paddling through 10-wave sets in shoulder high conditions will call for some duckdiving.

With smaller boards it becomes more about positioning and timing than about running the wave down from 50ft away. I'd go so far as to suggest that more length becomes more of a hassle than a help in those conditions.
I surf 2-6’ if I’m lucky the 6’ range. So what you’re saying is to stay with the stock dims from Tim?

I’m not concerned about duck diving or getting to the lineup. I’m concerned about the board feeling corky and stiff. I’ve surfed some wide and thick boards (all logs) but they felt terrible. So bulky and I was fighting it.

I know foam is your friend but it can also prevent you from progressing you know?

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
The extra length will help in paddling
If the dims you wanted are out of whack tim would steer you away from them & suggest something better.

The extra length will help in paddling
If the dims you wanted are out of whack tim would steer you away from them & suggest something better.
That’s what he told me when I went from 2 7/8” to 2 3/4” on the thickness. He said it will still give me plenty of float and paddle with the length and width.

I LOVE my 9’4 @ 21 3/4” x 2 7/8”. I straight rip on it and will drop in on anything. Even head high and over. I’m very confident on it.

But my other 9’4 is very cruisy and a trim machine. Even with a 6” True Ames Power fin. I love It but it feels bulky at 23” x 3”.

I don’t want this board to feel bulky. That’s my main fear. I want just enough float to give me paddle power and maneuverability.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I'll put it another way: *at your stature* if you can catch a 4ft wave on an 8-0 then you probably won't be missing anything on a 7-6. If you were older or rounder and float was more of an issue I wouldn't say that but at your dimensions you should be able to get a board going pretty fast.

Either way, you will need to be closer to the right spot in order to catch the wave and you'll need to be quicker on your transitions. What you won't be able to do as well is to compete for position with the longboarders.

You could probably also do it on a 7-0 if you were willing to work harder. I've seen middle aged guys who made that transition.

And don't discount the importance of a decent duckdive technique, either. That stick the nose down and rely on the wave to "slap the tail" thing isn't a thing. You will need to get the tail under too, if you want to get a midlength through a long set. They don't have enough paddle speed to simply wait between sets and paddle out that way. The shorter boards require less leverage.

I'll put it another way: *at your stature* if you can catch a 4ft wave on an 8-0 then you probably won't be missing anything on a 7-6. If you were older or rounder and float was more of an issue I wouldn't say that but at your dimensions you should be able to get a board going pretty fast.

Either way, you will need to be closer to the right spot in order to catch the wave and you'll need to be quicker on your transitions. What you won't be able to do as well is to compete for position with the longboarders.

You could probably also do it on a 7-0 if you were willing to work harder. I've seen middle aged guys who made that transition.

And don't discount the importance of a decent duckdive technique, either. That stick the nose down and rely on the wave to "slap the tail" thing isn't a thing. You will need to get the tail under too, if you want to get a midlength through a long set. They don't have enough paddle speed to simply wait between sets and paddle out that way. The shorter boards require less leverage.
Thank you for the response! I definitely don’t want to go shorter than 8’0. With only 3 years surfing and coming from two 9’4 boards I feel It will be the best to transition to. Not to mention, both my spots are mainly LB spots so I’ll have to sit on the inside and get aggressive and I’m cool with it.

I’m just torn on the width and thickness. His site has stock dims I just fear they could be too much for me and it will feel corky. That’s just me though!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I don't want you to take this comment the wrong way; just think about it for a bit.

I've watched a lot of surfers in your situation over the years spend tons of money on boards that they outgrew in a matter of weeks, if they were ever the right size for them at that moment or not. I watched a 40-yr old guy in your weight range go from the 7-6 thruster egg (a violation of the laws of nature, IMO) that he had been riding for years to a 7-0 quad egg and was kicking himself for not doing it years earlier. He hardly gave up any waves when transitioning to the shorter length.

Now think about this: The only surfers I've ever seen stick with an 8-0 length for more than a couple months have been reasonably skilled surfers who didn't *need* the length to get their waves, but just wanted to fill in the blanks in their longboard quiver or who were shortboarders who wanted something to surf in longboard conditions but didn't want to deal with an actual longboard.

We have a few of both on this forum, and they seem to love their midlengths in certain specific conditions. I doubt hardly any of them are using one as a daily driver.

There are a bunch of used midlengths listed in Craigslist at any given time, many of them priced at $300 or less. Most of them are barely used - that right there should tell you something.

My suggestion is that you at least try the general length out before you buy a new board. Not to see how it surfs as such, but how it paddles, how it floats and what it takes to get one into a wave. And how hard or easy it is for you to get a good duckdive going on one of them. Maybe call around and see if you can rent a beater from one of the shops for a weekend.

You're not necessarily going to be looking to score waves or fine tune your preferences with it, but just get a realistic idea of what the size will and won't do for you. Figure out what general size will pose the best compromise for you at this stage of your progression and THEN go spend your money on a new custom. Stamps is a great builder, so you can't go wrong there.

I don't want you to take this comment the wrong way; just think about it for a bit.

I've watched a lot of surfers in your situation over the years spend tons of money on boards that they outgrew in a matter of weeks, if they were ever the right size for them at that moment or not. I watched a 40-yr old guy in your weight range go from the 7-6 thruster egg (a violation of the laws of nature, IMO) that he had been riding for years to a 7-0 quad egg and was kicking himself for not doing it years earlier. He hardly gave up any waves when transitioning to the shorter length.

Now think about this: The only surfers I've ever seen stick with an 8-0 length for more than a couple months have been reasonably skilled surfers who didn't *need* the length to get their waves, but just wanted to fill in the blanks in their longboard quiver or who were shortboarders who wanted something to surf in longboard conditions but didn't want to deal with an actual longboard.

We have a few of both on this forum, and they seem to love their midlengths in certain specific conditions. I doubt hardly any of them are using one as a daily driver.

There are a bunch of used midlengths listed in Craigslist at any given time, many of them priced at $300 or less. Most of them are barely used - that right there should tell you something.

My suggestion is that you at least try the general length out before you buy a new board. Not to see how it surfs as such, but how it paddles, how it floats and what it takes to get one into a wave. And how hard or easy it is for you to get a good duckdive going on one of them. Maybe call around and see if you can rent a beater from one of the shops for a weekend.

You're not necessarily going to be looking to score waves or fine tune your preferences with it, but just get a realistic idea of what the size will and won't do for you. Figure out what general size will pose the best compromise for you at this stage of your progression and THEN go spend your money on a new custom. Stamps is a great builder, so you can't go wrong there.

I’ll tell a little more about me to possibly help you guys get a good picture.

32 years old. 6’2 and 185. Workout 6 days a week. Running and HIIT training. Lean and mean is what I like consider it. Haha.

Started on the 9’4 performance log. Purchased it at Used Surf in San Clemente without know sh** about surfing. Haha. But I was lucky and it worked for me. Really WELL.

I love to go right and left. Flow up and down the face of the wave. High lines and bottom turns. I’m not interested in cutbacks or smacking the lip. I’m definitely not an aggressive surfer and don’t want to be one.

I just want a board shorter than a log with MORE maneuverability. I still want that paddle power and the wave catching to compete with logs at my LB spots.

8’0 just seemed good to me. I can’t see myself on a 7’0 or even a 7’6 at Doheny or SanO. It just won’t work in those conditions. Maybe I’m wrong!

I’ll take all the advice I can get!

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Your fitness level and what you're describing leads me to question the choice of an 8-0 even more. It'll be okay for a while, but probably not for long.

Try this - watch the vids and look for the people who are surfing how you want to surf and then see what they're riding. Think about where you want to go before you decide what your current limitations are.

BTW, the kind of surfing and conditions you're describing could be done on a singlefin midlength with a flattish rocker. It doesn't sound like you're even using your side fins. Don't get me wrong, the 2+1 in a (shorter) midlength is the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards, so you can't go wrong there. But surfing a single makes you tune into the wave more - out of necessity - and smooths your style which translates into every other board your surf.

P.S., now that you have some of the basics down, don't worry about wavecount so much. That'll come as you become more proficient on whatever board you do commit to. Someone in your condition and experience could probably go to a 6-2 or 6-4 alternative design like Stamps El Diablo and find yourself getting your waves in short order, so long as you picked the right conditions for it. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but I am saying you probably could do it if you wanted to badly enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki
Your fitness level and what you're describing leads me to question the choice of an 8-0 even more. It'll be okay for a while, but probably not for long.

Try this - watch the vids and look for the people who are surfing how you want to surf and then see what they're riding. Think about where you want to go before you decide what your current limitations are.

BTW, the kind of surfing and conditions you're describing could be done on a singlefin midlength with a flattish rocker. It doesn't sound like you're even using your side fins. Don't get me wrong, the 2+1 in a (shorter) midlength is the Swiss Army Knife of surfboards, so you can't go wrong there. But surfing a single makes you tune into the wave more - out of necessity - and smooths your style which translates into every other board your surf.

P.S., now that you have some of the basics down, don't worry about wavecount so much. That'll come as you become more proficient on whatever board you do commit to. Someone in your condition and experience could probably go to a 6-2 or 6-4 alternative design like Stamps El Diablo and find yourself getting your waves in short order, so long as you picked the right conditions for it. I'm not saying that's what you should do, but I am saying you probably could do it if you wanted to badly enough.
I’ve ventured into the 6ft realm before and I hated It.

Had a 6’2 Groveler 21 3/4 x 2 7/8 as a 5 fin. Didn’t feel stable and didn’t work for me.

Got a 6’10 Greedy Beaver and had the same results.

Both have been sold on Craigslist since. That’s where I’m coming from. I don’t want to go shorter because I’ve been there. Sub 8ft legit scares me that I’ll hate it and yet again turn it over to Craigslist. Then the search continues.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I think you know what you want
Go with it and if you feel you need to change dims on your next board...well, that's fine too