Efoil vs jetski for complete beginner

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Did you friend tow you faster than 8 MPH the first time? I've been hearing for someone's first tow session you have to go really slow. Most driver's won't know that.

Apr 4, 2020
Did you friend tow you faster than 8 MPH the first time? I've been hearing for someone's first tow session you have to go really slow. Most driver's won't know that.
Yes, we watched some How To videos on beginning foiling and tried keeping the pull speed below 10 mph. Speed on the jet ski pull felt good, the main problem was getting enough front foot pressure to keep the foil from popping up too quickly.

I tried getting towed behind the jet ski with and without straps. Definitely much easier to get towed with straps.

For now, I'm prone foiling without straps.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I bought an e-foil last week.

It's coming on Tuesday.

I'm a two minute drive from the Oceanside harbor.

I'm going to use it at Camp Pendleton.

Bye bye surfing.

Bye bye crowds.:waving:

Feel free to crap on my dream.:dancing:

I'll probably drown.:drowning:

I will post on my progress.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Rad. Which one did you buy? You're gonna have fun. At least one guy up here has stopped surfing and only efoils now.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Rad. Which one did you buy? You're gonna have fun. At least one guy up here has stopped surfing and only efoils now.
I got the 5 foot Lift efoil with the surf fin wing.

I'm going to get the folding prop when I get the hang of it.

They have a special 2 Gs off.

Such a deal!

I think you can tow people in on other foil boards. That will be something to explore too.

But I need to figure out how to use first.

Last edited:
Reactions: grendel95
Aug 23, 2020
The price of entry into foiling was a shock as is the arms war...

Not long ago I was.... What!?! $1500.00 for a foil? $900.00 for a board you say? You kidding me?! Ouuch...

OK... guess my daughter will understand... maybe she can go to junior college... I wanna... I gotta foil!

Wait....... now I've gotta get an Efoil? $12k you say? The sliiiiiippery slope just got way steeper. :drowning:

• Haha
Reactions: surfdad
Apr 4, 2020
The price of entry into foiling was a shock as is the arms war...

Not long ago I was.... What!?! $1500.00 for a foil? $900.00 for a board you say? You kidding me?! Ouuch...

OK... guess my daughter will understand... maybe she can go to junior college... I wanna... I gotta foil!

Wait....... now I've gotta get an Efoil? $12k you say? The sliiiiiippery slope just got way steeper. :drowning:
Once I got the hang of controlling elevation and doing S-turns on a foil, foiling behind a jetski is more exciting than riding an efoil. I doubt I will ever buy an efoil.

Then again, I doubt I will ever buy a jetski. It's nice having a friend that owns a jetski and the jetski owner does need a tow partner. :cool:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm of the same opinion. Efoil's look fun. People are all excited about Tow Boogie's now. I don't get that either. If you want to tow just get a ski and do it right. The problem with that is of course where do you Launch a ski. An Efoil you can carry to the water. Other than that a ski seems like a better tool for the job.

Mar 22, 2020
I owne a Efoil (PWR, french company), super easy to use. I have it mostly for business, to get people learn to foil quick, instead of having to use a boat or a jet ski.

Efoil is fun but only on flat water water and to be honest you get bored pretty quick, it is fun but I don't use it everyday. I guess for people living close to a lake, etc... it is a good way to have some fun.

Another thing I have noticed is it takes time to get used to regular foil after too much time on the Efoil, it is not exactly the same feeling.

Hopfully Efoil will become more of an assisted electric, much lighter (small batterie) and with a good use of the wing so we can play in the swell outside, that would mean an endless, empty playground ! I see it just like Ebike.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
fuck the efoil thing looks too easy. i'm glad they're so expensive or i'd buy one.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm w frenchfoiler, when they become lighter and less boaty, it's going to be hard to resist. It will be so simple to beach launch to ride unbroken swells on the outer reefs, vs. launching a boat or ski.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I took it out to Oceanside harbor yesterday for the first time and there is a sign that says "No Foil Boards." I had never seen it before and I always go down there on my friend's boat.

I put it in the water and tried it out for about 20 minutes anyway. I kept looking over my shoulder for the harbor patrol.

It totally makes sense that you can't do that in the harbour. I fell off and the thing almost his some boats on the dock.

But still.

The plan was to strike out from the harbor and surf in Pendleton.

I got the little one so it was squirlly for me to go from knees to standing up. I have a permanently messed up foot so my balance is a little wonky.

I was thinking about it all night in my sleep. Figuring out what to do. That is the fun. I just need to practice. I'm sore too from the 20 minutes of trying to learn something totally new.

I'm going to get a scooter/wagon and beach launch it from the beach out front.

It seems like that is illegal too.

I guess you can do in the Carslbad lagoon.

I just need to have practice time without looking over my shoulder for the Man.

I felt weird about spending all that money.

But it's like an adventure.

And when you get older you naturally shy away from adventure.