Efoil vs jetski for complete beginner

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I took it out to Oceanside harbor yesterday for the first time and there is a sign that says "No Foil Boards." I had never seen it before and I always go down there on my friend's boat.
Yeah autoprax! The harbors seem very odd in their rules about efoils. It seems to greatly come down to who is on duty that day.

Beach launching shouldn’t be to difficult after. Few sessions. Great line about adventure! Love it.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was just cruising on my stomach and my knees and at the lowest setting and it would hit this point where the wing, even not flying, would increase the efficiency. You could really feel it. Then I would have bad position and it would bog.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah it does that paddling a prone board too. Paddling into tiny one footers actually feels like paddling in on a 9 foot longboard at times. Pretty fun toys.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
If you launch at the lagoon, there's a wave to ride at the jetties. Someone down there posted him riding it all the way under the bridge (prone foiler).

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I know of a few guys who got in on the original kickstarter for them. They're fine. They're not of the same quality as Lift, Fliteboard. There's a whole thread on foil.zone about them. Hard to say if it's anymore or less of only people who have an issue post about it online.

If you want to use one to tow someone, go with lift. If you have any DIY electronics experience, build your own and it'll be better.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I've been thinking about this. I'm going to work on a diy kit that you can use with any board/foil. You'll have to wear the battery in a dry sack (backpack), if you want to keep the board small. Maybe built into a pfd vest. And you'd have to use a leash shorter than the cable. I've had the motor parts in my Amazon shopping cart for over a year.

Reactions: xmesa
Mar 22, 2020
I took it out to Oceanside harbor yesterday for the first time and there is a sign that says "No Foil Boards." I had never seen it before and I always go down there on my friend's boat.

I put it in the water and tried it out for about 20 minutes anyway. I kept looking over my shoulder for the harbor patrol.

It totally makes sense that you can't do that in the harbour. I fell off and the thing almost his some boats on the dock.

But still.

The plan was to strike out from the harbor and surf in Pendleton.

I got the little one so it was squirlly for me to go from knees to standing up. I have a permanently messed up foot so my balance is a little wonky.

I was thinking about it all night in my sleep. Figuring out what to do. That is the fun. I just need to practice. I'm sore too from the 20 minutes of trying to learn something totally new.

I'm going to get a scooter/wagon and beach launch it from the beach out front.

It seems like that is illegal too.

I guess you can do in the Carslbad lagoon.

I just need to have practice time without looking over my shoulder for the Man.

I felt weird about spending all that money.

But it's like an adventure.

And when you get older you naturally shy away from adventure.
Yes go to Carlbad lagoon, then you can also I guess launch from an harbor going slow not flying, just go slow to the outside if there is not too much swell.

Reactions: Autoprax

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
I know of a few guys who got in on the original kickstarter for them. They're fine. They're not of the same quality as Lift, Fliteboard. There's a whole thread on foil.zone about them. Hard to say if it's anymore or less of only people who have an issue post about it online.

If you want to use one to tow someone, go with lift. If you have any DIY electronics experience, build your own and it'll be better.
hah, i guess i could use another project...

is there a popular DIY forum/resource?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Foil.zone That's a website. All the DIY efoil advice you could ever want. Look at the "tow boogies" they're all the rage right now.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
^ i searched it after reading on here... hilarious concept. holy sh!t I had no idea the efoils were so far along and so DIY. thank you!

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Foil.zone That's a website. All the DIY efoil advice you could ever want. Look at the "tow boogies" they're all the rage right now.
Thanks for the tip. Wow, just went down a 4 hr rabbit hole early this a.m.

@Autoprax are you getting the folding prop? Even though it's crazy $$$, I think I'd get it. Maybe by the time I'm ready to put a rig together, they'll be some competition for folding props.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

@Autoprax are you getting the folding prop? Even though it's crazy $$$, I think I'd get it. Maybe by the time I'm ready to put a rig together, they'll be some competition for folding props.
I will get it eventually. But not yet.

I like having the shroud on the prop now.

Reactions: ghostshaper

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I get it. But it was funny walking down to the dock the first time and seeing the sign. I did make some waves too the board almost floated into some docked boats.

I thought I couldn't launch from the beach but I guess if there is no one around it won't be an issue.

Today would be perfect out front.

I got the board up at Canyon Lake.

The lagoon at Carlsbad is illegal too.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I thought I had posted that site here before. They made me a moderator over there since it's some of the LAFC guys. If you want grendel banned just let me know :)

Also I think there are some 3d print files for folding props on there if you search hard enough. Honestly though all the efoil stuff is over my head so I only pay attention to it enough to keep my unread thread count low.

Reactions: ghostshaper
May 15, 2017
Watch out that lagoon had a bacteria that ate a part of someone's calf.....a wakeboarder who had a cut and a bacteria got in

You should launch from oceanside harbor....straight into pendelton
You will love towing in...its like an amazing dream you never thought would actually happen

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
You should launch from oceanside harbor....straight into pendelton
You will love towing in...its like an amazing dream you never thought would actually happen
That was the plan.

You can't foil in the habour anymore.

I wanted to ask the harbor master if I could launch from the launching area and then head straight out to Pendleton.

I will check out after the holiday break

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Watched 2 guys w efoils launch from the beach last weekend in VC.
launched prone out beyond waves, got up to speed and tried to stand up, went over a little bump and board slapped down endoed? and they went over the bars. Funny shittt! They proceeded to go around in s turns outside of the closed out wave line for about an hour. Looked fun but really boring, like not engaged, and just waiting and trying not to fall. Not surfing for sure. No typical foil pumping exercise. I don’t know, for the price I’d probably rather get a wave runnerAND a normal foil board setup.