Effects of Family Structure on Crime

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Was it the people or the traditions that were the problem?

Probably can't break it out into 100% this or 100% that, but could you give us a weighted split?

Last relationship fizzled out with a whimper because I didn't want kids and she heard the buzzer non-stop.
That's exactly how it went. We didn't disagree on much else other than the one issue. The irreconcilable difference was that issue was her litmus test - one of the core principles around which she aspired to live her life. And as a true believer she couldn't do that without me being on board with it. I could deal with her values on the day-to-day - they're not bad values by any means - but she couldn't deal with mine.

My current wife isn't religious so we don't have that conflict. Or any other conflict that we can't easily manage.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
So, there are more viable single parent households than viable "traditional family" households?

Really?

LOL!

Please, tell us about the virtues that make having one parent so much better than two.:geek:

I said I agreed that, "Good single parenting is more viable than shitty "traditional family" parenting which is way more prevalent."

Don't twist my very simple words

Two stupid parents is worse than one good single parent.

Reactions: FecalFace

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
Single parenting is always inferior, same goes with same-sex marriages. Kids have to grow up with both genders in order to become well-balanced adults.
I don't know about same sex marriage per se. I think kids do better with one parent who is stronger at nuturing and another who is stronger at disciplining. We see hetero couples where those roles are reversed so I don't see why gay/lesbian couples would be any different.

What I don't believe in is a large percentage of fathers who can do both roles equally well or a large percentage of mothers who can do both roles equally well.

The other thing I have noticed is that my role as a father came into play a lot more often as these kids got older, while my wife's role came into play less often; whereas when they were younger it was the other way around. They needed their mom more when they were younger and they needed me more when they were older.

It's all fun-n-games until the kid hits puberty and their brain advances to abstract thought. Maybe that's why it appears the single moms of the young kids are making it work. Their role is still more critical at that stage. Check back in on them when the kid is 15 and the mom trying to teach them how to deal in the world might not look so rosy.

That's what makes it so unfortunate when a dad checks out on his kids when they're 10yrs old. Unless he's the nurturer of the team and his role is in decline he's leaving them right as his role is taking on more prominence.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I said I agreed that, "Good single parenting is more viable than shitty "traditional family" parenting which is way more prevalent."

Don't twist my very simple words
Reread that quote and tell us what it means then.

"shitty 'traditional family' parenting" that is is more prevalent than what?

What is "shitty 'traditional family parenting' "exactly?

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Single parenting is always inferior, same goes with same-sex marriages. Kids have to grow up with both genders in order to become well-balanced adults.
Two average parents is better than one average parent is agreed with, but two crappy parents instead of one single good parent is not better.

You agree with this as well, as does anyone with some world experience.

Two crappy parents suck. Having one good one makes world of difference.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
What is "shitty 'traditional family parenting' "exactly?
Pay attention to the first word.

Shitty parents (this means TWO shitty parents) ruin the 'two is best' dynamic, and two parent is the tradition.

Not tough.

Raised by one good (notice the word good, not saying average) parent is better than being raised by two (the traditional two) shitty parents.

What is so tough about that?

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
So what are your feelings about one good or average parent AND one shitty parent? Still worse than the one good parent working solo? Or how about the prevalence of one shitty parent working solo BECAUSE they're a shitty person?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Pay attention to the first word.

Shitty parents (this means TWO shitty parents) ruin the 'two is best' dynamic, and two parent is the tradition.

Not tough.

Raised by one good (notice the word good, not saying average) parent is better than being raised by two (the traditional two) shitty parents.

What is so tough about that?

Then I agree.

Keeping in mind the poster that wrote the quote, it sounded like the insinuation was traditional families tended to be shitty households when compared to single parent households.

i.e. a lot more shitty two parent households than shitty single parent households - if I'm not mistaken I think he did indeed say something similar in this clusterfuck of a thread.

Either way the quote doesn't make a whole lot of sense any way you read it.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
So what are your feelings about one good or average parent AND one shitty parent? Still worse than the one good parent working solo? Or how about the prevalence of one shitty parent working solo BECAUSE they're a shitty person?
The point was that's it's not all black and white as you like to paint it.

Hitler and Stalin came from traditional families.

Steve Jobs was dumped by both parents.

Trump came from a traditional family.

Obama came from a "broken home".

Who's a better parent of those two?

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
A lot of kids these days just don't give a fvck and a lot of parents are so fed up with them that they don't give a fvck either.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
My uncle Brice was a shitty Carmel brat until he got drafted, sent to Indiana after an aptitude test and ended up as a radioman gunner on a B17 in WWII. 28 missions over Germany. Came home and went to work for American Can Company. Became senior VP of their Mexican operations supplying cans to Mexican Breweries. A penthouse Apt in Mexico City. A home in Encinitas on the cliffs right above Swamis.