Eating for Soft Tissue Recovery

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Was playing frisbee with my boy on the beach two nights ago and something popped behind my left knee, leaving me unable to use the knee as normal (i can stand on it, i can flex it, ride a bike etc but i can't walk on it or put weight on it, in motion). X-rays show nothing abnormal, doc recommends RICE and NSAID's. it has improve significantly in 36 hours but i'm assuming i'm out of action re: surfing, skating etc for some period of time. was wondering if there is anything i can add to my diet that might help speed up recovery? thanks!

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Eat plenty of high-quality proteins your body actually needs more calories to aid in the repair of soft tissue so don't cut calories! This is a decent article with a few suggestions. https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-for-injury-recovery-infographic
thanks, that's great stuff! i actually had cut back on calories because i've been relatively inactive all month due to the knee problem and tend to put on weight easily when i'm not moving. will adjust accordingly - thanks again!

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Food. Everything else is basically speculation. How about a "balanced diet." For a slightly more targeted approach.
probably so. fwiw, my dad was a prominent and well-respected MD in his day - i used to bounce things like this off him all the time and he would pretty much say the same thing that you did. he told me once (and i've told this story here before, so apologies if you heard it before) that probably the last actual significant definitive breakthrough in nutrition science was the discovery that vitamin C prevents scurvy. an over-simplification, probably, but he was making the point that direct links between certain foods and good health were hard to come by.

Reactions: SurfDoc

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I know burn victims are fed high protein diets as part of the initial recovery from wounds and grafts. I remember Travis Barker had a challenge here because he is vegan.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I know burn victims are fed high protein diets as part of the initial recovery from wounds and grafts. I remember Travis Barker had a challenge here because he is vegan.
The Dalai Lama is a vegetarian, but he will eat meat when traveling as a social grace to his hosts. Some Buddhist enclaves are omnivorous in regions where meat is plentiful and fruits/vegetables hard to come by.