East vs. West

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I would say a better comparison would be East vs El Porto. Both look great in photos from the right angle at the right time....but at the end of the day both are just dumpy beach break close-outs with the occasional hero claim or fly away.
Indeed, coupled with the lack of consistency it's no comparison. But when conditions align which may be less than 5 days a year you'll likely get some of the best beach break tubes around.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
This swell had some of the most horrendous drift I've ever seen. South windswell with honking south wind then SSW wind then SW wind made for a river current on the inside and no relief once outside the impact zone. The waves honestly were not that good except for the handful of rides making the rounds on social media. So many better days. Literally following the guys I was shooting at a fast walk pace to stay into position. Rinse and repeat. Nearly a two mile walk back to the car at the end of the day. Way overhype as a result of lengthy flat spell, youTube and Instagram.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I reckon there’s a few spots from that last NJ swell that might have actually been about as good as they get, just a bit smaller so the insta cred drops a bit.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I reckon there’s a few spots from that last NJ swell that might have actually been about as good as they get, just a bit smaller so the insta cred drops a bit.
I don't think anyplace was good as it gets when you factor the current and wind. Mostly what you're seeing is a handful of mutants ridden by east coast pro level guys who put in a ton of water time that day and more or less lucked into being in the right spot at the right time thanks to the crazy current with their filmer or another filmer being equally lucky. The beack looked like Pipeline with all the big lenses on it too. Good on them for getting the goods on such a faw wild day.

Last edited:
Reactions: manbearpig

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I’m thinking of a spot up north that seems to cut down the size on the big days but can make that up with quality if it’s doing it’s thing.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
I’m thinking of a spot up north that seems to cut down the size on the big days but can make that up with quality if it’s doing it’s thing.
I know where you mean. I didn't go that far north. I was in the same zone where all of footage and clips you are seeing on social media came from. The following morning was actually better than the big day. It rated highly on the perfecto-meter.

Reactions: manbearpig

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Joisy does have a few spots that offers more than closeouts at this size Mr Von , my 3 rd bottom turn on this wave . Howdy Groms Dad !
Great shot. That reveals the reality of the size too. If not for my son amping to chase mutant barrels with his friends believe me I would have been looking for something like that. I even wonder what a few spots close to my home that favor SW wind looked like late in the day.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
The best day of the year on the EC (in any given year) is just a day with waves on the WC. While it has moments, the EC in general just doesn't compare to any real-wave destinations. It's just not comparable given the bathymetry, lack of variety, consistency, weather etc. You can almost literally do more actual surfing (feet on the board) in one session at, say, K38 than you would in a month or more here. It's still fun, but good attitude is crucial.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
This swell had some of the most horrendous drift I've ever seen. South windswell with honking south wind then SSW wind then SW wind made for a river current on the inside and no relief once outside the impact zone. The waves honestly were not that good except for the handful of rides making the rounds on social media. So many better days. Literally following the guys I was shooting at a fast walk pace to stay into position. Rinse and repeat. Nearly a two mile walk back to the car at the end of the day. Way overhype as a result of lengthy flat spell, youTube and Instagram.
If you could get on them and make the drop there were some barrels as heavy as we get and makeable, But you only would know this being in the water.

Last edited:

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Checked it, just as big and not as good. Current even worse.

lruc

OTF status
Nov 10, 2016
One of the big fall swells last year , Ranga . Pretty accurate about the EC too except I live where the wind is predominantly offshore . Perhaps a dozen swells like that a yr , a one day window . As one who went to PT Loma high , spent 10 yrs in the Islands , surfed the Ranch for years it does have a few days that its hard to believe its the EC .

Reactions: Boneroni and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The problem with EC is it goes from complete flatness to the rare overhead crunching beachbreak, no mattter how much you train, hard to stay ready for all the paddling and duckdiving.

Reactions: bvendley