East Coast Swell Forecasting?

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
EC newbie looking for a fairly reliable source for information. Do I pony up for a Surflie subscription or is there another place to source the info. Not really looking for wind data, have a good handle on that.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Swellinfo is good about 80% of the time, the other 20% it's totally fucked for some unknown reason

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Swellinfo is good about 80% of the time, the other 20% it's totally fucked for some unknown reason
actually, SI is fucked for some very good reasons, which is why you would choose Surf Captain. Surf Captain is run by the guy who created SI, which went to pieces a few years ago when he sold it to a big outdoor media conglomerate that had no idea how to maintain it.

Dekerwild

OTF status
Jul 28, 2017
Where are you located? In N Florida, I follow surfstation.com, Dabuh on Instagram (hard to follow but he’s generally on point 3-5 days out) Windy.com and surf captain help to fill in the missing pieces. I generally skip Surfline and Magic due to their ability to underscore or over hype a lot of swells.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Dabuh is nuts, in a fun way. his rants are epic, and his random movie quotes, bible quotes, etc

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Where are you located? In N Florida, I follow surfstation.com, Dabuh on Instagram (hard to follow but he’s generally on point 3-5 days out) Windy.com and surf captain help to fill in the missing pieces. I generally skip Surfline and Magic due to their ability to underscore or over hype a lot of swells.
Central Coast Maine

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What does the local Coast Guard put out? What do local fisherpeoples use? Talk to them or they probably have some kind of internets forum?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i think this website has covid. (n)
no, what it does not have is this guy. he had the surfer/developer/meteorology chops to write all the predictive algorithms that extract all the NOAA data that made Swell Info the go-to site for many years (at least for the EC). after he sold it, i think they brought him back for a while to fix it, but since he went off and started Surf Captain couple years ago and the SI forecast has floundered ever since.

fwiw, besides Surf Captain, https://www.surf-forecast.com is pretty reliable for my local. ymmv.

Reactions: wedge2

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Teddy D’s surf forecast through heritage :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I miss the high school days of calling collect from a pay phone in Between periods to catch the first 20 seconds of the report recorded on an answering machine. Ron at spellbinders, ric from rick’s aloha classics, Kenny at body language, Greg/George at supplies. Man, the nostalgia.

the FNMOC website warning always freaks me out. Russians are out to steal my info through my surf addiction.

Reactions: GromsDad