East Coast Flatness

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
That peir shot = KROK Rodney Crankenheimer!!
I thought this fall has been OK-OK+ by mid Atlantic standards.
There is forcast to be waves to ride for several days after the weekend. However local schools closed again and then the holiday so the better spots will be at least occupied if it gets gooder, but it probably won't be any gooder than OK-

When it gets all the way flat is pretty remarkable, the little undulations lapping at the sand and any slight change you can notice right off until one ripple will overtake the other ripple and then a chop will warble it's way into the picture and that will become engulfed by a building swell and an even bigger swell will overtake that one and before you know it it'll be like a maxing thigh high time to get pitted!!.

That's how we roll here anyway.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Gotta love sitting at the beach on a flat day and watching those rodent-sized Gulf/East Coast barrels roll on in.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The flattest ocean I ever saw was in the South Bay. Hermosa Beach dead flat. No motion at all. Is the South Bay ever rideable?
Yes.

Pretty rare. Usually the day or two after a storm front moves through. Long period swells will close out the beaches but light up the reefs and points.

This is down the street from me (maybe Butthole surfer makes a cameo here?)-

or you could surf Lunada-

Reactions: ~rwright~

Ricknj

OTF status
Feb 29, 2008
nj
It was major wind slop, but rideable.

But to Greg's point, Florida kids learn how to make do with less. It is way easier to surf a head high, well groomed pacific swell than the typical east coast mess.
very true same goes with the ski slopes, east coasters always kill it esp when they go out west to a real mountain w real snow

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
It was major wind slop, but rideable.

But to Greg's point, Florida kids learn how to make do with less. It is way easier to surf a head high, well groomed pacific swell than the typical east coast mess.
I live for November. And March. For this. This is why. Mixed up, waves everywhere. Just, waves. All over this bitch. To and fro; hither and tither. No people. Nein. Nyet.

Personally I find stuff like this the easiest to surf. There's a chip in on takeoff, it's not too closed out, no people.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
very true same goes with the ski slopes, east coasters always kill it esp when they go out west to a real mountain w real snow
Yep, grew up skiiing/racing in NH/VT. Then did a couple year patrolling at Mammoth, could not get enough of the deep snow and real terrain.

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
I live for November. And March. For this. This is why. Mixed up, waves everywhere. Just, waves. All over this bitch. To and fro; hither and tither. No people. Nein. Nyet.

Personally I find stuff like this the easiest to surf. There's a chip in on takeoff, it's not too closed out, no people.
True. I never know what to do the first couple waves on those rare lined up days that just wall up but don't close out. It's like "Oh sh!t, I have time to actually think and set up my wave and not just react to that section coming down in front of me". No fighting offshore winds and spray in the face on the takeoff in lieu of a little chip in is nice too.

:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
True. I never know what to do the first couple waves on those rare lined up days that just wall up but don't close out. It's like "Oh sh!t, I have time to actually think and set up my wave and not just react to that section coming down in front of me". No fighting offshore winds and spray in the face on the takeoff in lieu of a little chip in is nice too.

:ROFLMAO:
My first trip to California surfing Trestles I remember how strange it felt to get to my feet and have to actually wait for the wave to set up. The change in timing was a trip compared to surfing at home where its usually pedal to the metal to get that first pump for speed going.

Reactions: bobwarren

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
good monday mornin' ya east coast boyz+girlz!
i'm still caffeinated @ 3:31am L.A. time,
err that's 6:31 your time, hahaha,
i should try to get some sleep~ie,
but can not, errrr...

it's been kinda flat here too, though,
so i feel your pain!!!

that said,
if ya know where to sit,
you could score, maybe...

AK1J0723~ST.JPG

ps ~ thee photo above,
is of Tony, he who Youth~Mentors inner cities L.A. kidz, even bringin' 'em out, into thee surf...
it was shot a few dayz ago, on thee 19th day of this November, 2020, kinda fun, out there!
:waving:

Last edited:

bobwarren

Nep status
Feb 24, 2016
Neptune Beach FL
Waves again this morning in Northeast FL. However, it was the worst, water/air temp and wind combo in my mind. 69 degree water, 65 degree air with a very stiff late fall NNW wind. Too warm for a full suit, definitely chilly enough to freeze my balls off in trunks and 1.5 mill top. I'd rather it be 63 water with a similar or even colder air temp. Just put on the 3/2 and be warm.

random photo from the report:

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
good monday mornin' ya east coast boyz+girlz!
i'm still caffeinated @ 3:31am L.A. time,
err that's 6:31 your time, hahaha,
i should try to get some sleep~ie,
but can not, errrr...

it's been kinda flat here too, though,
so i feel your pain!!!

that said,
if ya know where to sit,
you could score, maybe...

View attachment 101307

ps ~ thee photo above,
is of Tony, he who Youth~Mentors inner cities L.A. kidz, even bringin' 'em out, into thee surf...
it was shot a few dayz ago, on thee 19th day of this November, 2020, kinda fun, out there!
:waving:
NIce shot. Is that the blvd throwing out?

I go three in and out tube rides this morning and all is right with the universe again.
Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord.

• Love

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Waves again this morning in Northeast FL. However, it was the worst, water/air temp and wind combo in my mind. 69 degree water, 65 degree air with a very stiff late fall NNW wind. Too warm for a full suit, definitely chilly enough to freeze my balls off in trunks and 1.5 mill top. I'd rather it be 63 water with a similar or even colder air temp. Just put on the 3/2 and be warm.

random photo from the report:

You don't strike me as much of a sitter, but I could see getting chilly during lulls. I went to Mayport in the morning and the Pier in the afternoon. I surfed far enough down the beach at Mayport I was alone; it looked biizzzzzy up towards the Poles. Pier had enough waves coming through to keep fed.

I think this movement kept me good in the shortsleeve top. For me, 68 water with air in the lower 50s. You put on a spring suit, you'll be cold-soft if we have an actual February. You sport the heavy top, the instant your ballsack touches water....

Reactions: bobwarren