Ear plug recommendations

absoludicrous

OTF status
Nov 2, 2010
north oc
I'm a fan of the Mack's purple rubber ear plugs. They don't have the strings like Doc's but I have only dropped them (but not lost) out of the water. I have a pair of Doc's but they are a little difficult to put on and take off. I feel like water still gets in with the Doc's in my ears but the Mack's keep everything out pretty well. They're a bit snug though but you get used to it.

channingw

Nep status
Oct 9, 2012
LA
Been using JBL (the speargun co.) Hydroseals for a year or so now. Very comfortable, and haven't lost one yet despite my predilection for going over the falls. Don't keep ears 100% dry but they do keep out enough that water never gets deep in the ear canal. Like the fact that they're vented. Highly recommend them to anyone using/considering earplugs. $20

LoganV

OTF status
Sep 29, 2010
ludicrous said:
I'm a fan of the Mack's purple rubber ear plugs. They don't have the strings like Doc's but I have only dropped them (but not lost) out of the water.
Me too. I like them the best. Cheap and do the job well.
http://www.macksearplugs.com/details/ear-plugs-for-swimming/aquablock-earplugs

PabloCruz said:
Been using JBL (the speargun co.) Hydroseals for a year or so now. Very comfortable, and haven't lost one yet despite my predilection for going over the falls.
I liked them but unfortunately lost them pretty quickly. I think i would have to use a leash for them.
But i'm totally happy with my purple mack's aqua blocks.

B94

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 4, 2012
PabloCruz said:
Been using JBL (the speargun co.) Hydroseals for a year or so now. Very comfortable, and haven't lost one yet despite my predilection for going over the falls. Don't keep ears 100% dry but they do keep out enough that water never gets deep in the ear canal. Like the fact that they're vented. Highly recommend them to anyone using/considering earplugs. $20

Agree 100%. Comfortable and just stick to your ear. I've never lost one and I've never had any water get in. The sizing is exactly the same as DOC earplugs, so if you've used those and know your size it's a no brainer.

Best vented Earplug out there.

channingw

Nep status
Oct 9, 2012
LA
The yellow plastic definitely makes them stiffer than the Mack's purps. Prefer the JBLs to either, way more comfortable. A drop or two of water can get past the JBLs on occasion but never enough that it's a problem. Didn't think I would like wearing ear plugs at first. Don't miss having my head fill up w/ cold water after a nasty wipeout, ears getting cold from wind, etc.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
whats everyone using these days? Had my right ear done last year and surgery for the left in a couple weeks-Doc can just barely see ear drI’m. Didn’t start using plugs until a yr n a half ago-too little to late.

Been using the Mack’s purple-comfy but do seem to let a bit of water in so not great.

Jul 20, 2008
I've been alternating between Doc's Pro Plugs and TYR. TYR's are very cheap and both work pretty good but I do find when I take them off there is a little moisture inside. I have not lost one yet in surf up to head high. If I know I'm going to be doing a lot of duck diving and it's bigger I sometimes wear a thin squid lid for added protection.
Silicone Molded Ear Plugs (tyr.com)

Reactions: Swallow Tail

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I use Surf Ears 3. Positives: comfortable, can still hear and talk well, lots of sizes of fittings so you can dial it in. Negatives: Bougie and expensive.

I've used soft silicone ear plugs as well as some other swimmers ear plugs (including the JBL hydroseal recd above). Soft ones plug you up so you can't hear or talk and personally it throws me off. I found it hard to get the other swimmers plugs to fit right and be comfortable under a hood. With SE3 I actually used different sized inserts on L and R ears which may explain why regular plugs were uncomfortable. I can wear the SE for hours and hours and forget I have them in.

FWIW I use custom molded musicians earplugs for live music and the SE come close in terms of comfort and clarity of hearing.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The "plug" type plugs tend not to fit in my ears. So they're a no go for me.

I had some custom plugs made, lost them within the first 5 sessions. Surprised me because they fit so snug and weren't the easiest to take out.

Silicone work decent, I find they lose their ability to mold and stay in after a few uses.

So Doc's continue to be the standard.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I use Surf Ears 3. Positives: comfortable, can still hear and talk well, lots of sizes of fittings so you can dial it in. Negatives: Bougie and expensive.

I've used soft silicone ear plugs as well as some other swimmers ear plugs (including the JBL hydroseal recd above). Soft ones plug you up so you can't hear or talk and personally it throws me off. I found it hard to get the other swimmers plugs to fit right and be comfortable under a hood. With SE3 I actually used different sized inserts on L and R ears which may explain why regular plugs were uncomfortable. I can wear the SE for hours and hours and forget I have them in.

FWIW I use custom molded musicians earplugs for live music and the SE come close in terms of comfort and clarity of hearing.
SE 3+1 worth the $$$ and great customer service been using now for 3+ years:shaka: I use to use docs and have to change them every year SE last.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
+1 on the Surf Ears 3 as well

Grew up surfing no hood in cen cal and so now have to religiously wear earplugs regardless of water temp

docs were great for me from but i consistently lost ~5 a year or so (my fault, i hate the leash)

gave the surf ears a try and made it a full season without losing an earplug, I can hear great as well

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
+1 on the Surf Ears 3 as well

Grew up surfing no hood in cen cal and so now have to religiously wear earplugs regardless of water temp

docs were great for me from but i consistently lost ~5 a year or so (my fault, i hate the leash)

gave the surf ears a try and made it a full season without losing an earplug, I can hear great as well
Secret to docs leash is loop knot (same as leash string) swivel hook and attach to zipper of suit.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Oh I forgot my biggest pet peeve with the SE3... RED is LEFT and BLUE is RIGHT:cursing:

As anyone who has ever done anything with music knows, RED is RIGHT. Half the time I put them in wrong at first because they're the opposite of everything for no reason.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Oh I forgot my biggest pet peeve with the SE3... RED is LEFT and BLUE is RIGHT:cursing:

As anyone who has ever done anything with music knows, RED is RIGHT. Half the time I put them in wrong at first because they're the opposite of everything for no reason.
Reminds me of front zipper suits some left and some right to close:drowning: O'Neill left easy for right hander but my pataguchi and 'bong close right.