Ear plug recommendations

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I'd like to try the Surf Ears 3, problem is I'm afraid they won't fit.
They have 3 sizes covers all shapes and sizes of ear drums and the wing really helps keep it inside ear and help to get out as well but be careful decompress first before you pull out. Like I mentioned great customer service I broke wing on one plug and ask to buy replacement wing and SE sent me a whole new set:shaka:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
I have had the chisel method in my right ear around 40, but left was OK perhaps from the added variable of NW winds. It was 90+ and left me with tinnitus as I have mentioned in a similar thread. Grew up surfing cold water in Rhode Island and have been surfing Oregon for almost 30 years now with a stint in HMB, Ca. So basically cold water all my life. Many of those years I surfed hoodless, with a hood down or without and started wearing plugs in my late 20's before it was to late.

I've tried most of them and currently back on Docs. Even though I have used the silicon and trees, I prefer vented and to be able to hear especially with crowds becoming a factor. Also now I have tinnitus I notice the ringing more with a full seal. They seem to be quite effective with a hood on too which I rarely surf without these days as temperature plays a part as well. So keeping the ear warm is also good. Recently I tried the Surfer Ears 2 and they fell apart. The membrane peeled off as the glue failed. Design just has to many components IMO and Docs are simple and bullet proof if they fit well. May get a pair of custom Westones next year with my Flex Spending account funds as they look pretty good and my ear doc recomends.

Otherwise I have my ears cleaned and checked at least once a year and I am 30 in left and 15 in right, which has been my baseline since getting surgery and religiously wearing plugs and hood so all good. I did have an issue a few moths ago with my right ear filling full and clogged after and thought oh no its closing up again! But the doc just pulled out a big ole gnarly ball of wax that was the culprit. He said the scaring from the surgery may have affected the ears natural ability to transport wax out. As a working stiff I am lucky to have good bennies to be able to make regular visits to my ear doc.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
colder temperatures and or heavy wind i wear the silicone puty and a hood, i have small ears so i use the kids+you get a free tattoo.

spring and summer moths i wear those cone numbers, the string is nice and can attach to a chest zip quite easily.

still searching for the perfect plugs come to cost, i dont feel comfortable paying for something i might loose and because of that i invest in different hoods
Swivel hook or SE has nice leash never had issue and would be pretty easy to copy:waving:

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Custom molded are probably the ultimate solution (as with musicians plugs) but the westone and acs swim plugs don't appear to be vented? I imagine they would be hard to hear with.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Custom molded are probably the ultimate solution (as with musicians plugs) but the westone and acs swim plugs don't appear to be vented? I imagine they would be hard to hear with.
The problem is having to wear a string.

I lost mine in a matter of days, fortunately they were made for a steep discount.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
The problem is having to wear a string.

I lost mine in a matter of days, fortunately they were made for a steep discount.
Why? SE rubber string to necklace or my doc plugs with swivel hook attached to my zipper never have got in my way even on bigger days:shrug:

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I had custom molded plugs, which were able to magically drop the water's ambient temperature by at least 10 degrees and transmit the freezing headache sensation directly to my skull. I've tried almost everything and I use a fresh pair of Mack's every time I get wet when the water is below 68º or it's windy.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I have the surf ears 3.0. They work fine, just wish they didn't effect my hearing. Hearing myself breathing adds drama to scrambling over larger outside sets and doesn't let me take in all the natural sounds around me that probably helps me relax. Its my only gripe, but they do their job.

Also I always wondered what the thinking was on the color coding. I always think Red=Right because the R relation. But their blue plug is for the Right side.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i just wear the macks silicon plugs religiously. I never take my hood off, even when I'm overheating. I've had a couple times where my left ear gets a little achy and I will use some drops of 50/50 iso alcohol/white vinegar which clears it right up. Most of the old guys around here never wore plugs and have all sorts of ear issues. I'm really hoping to avoid getting chiseled or drilled later down the line.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
I have the surf ears 3.0. They work fine, just wish they didn't effect my hearing. Hearing myself breathing adds drama to scrambling over larger outside sets and doesn't let me take in all the natural sounds around me that probably helps me relax. Its my only gripe, but they do their job.

Also I always wondered what the thinking was on the color coding. I always think Red=Right because the R relation. But their blue plug is for the Right side.
I feel the opposite, on windy days the plugs calm my mind down and allow for focus on the breath. I don't use surf ears, had a pair and didn't think they were worth the $. cheap drug store ones work just fine.