e-bike's?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
The interesting thing is you need a motorcycle license to operate a 49cc scooter but nothing to operate an e-bike.

Loved to see the kids riding into traffic in the bike lane on their e-bikes in Leucadia yesterday. Smart!
Not sure of why some things are licensed vs not but most e-bikes im seeing top out around 20mph..49cc scooter's go faster than that?

Could be the powers that be havent got around to making regulations yet because they are relatively new? Parents should really be educating their kids on safe practices or not let them ride one unsupervised.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not sure of why some things are licensed vs not but most e-bikes im seeing top out around 20mph..49cc scooter's go faster than that?
With current DOT/EPA regulations a 49cc scooter will max at about 35MPH.

Certain ebikes are faster than others and I think the motor is topped off at 30mph per regulation but I've seen them going way faster on the road to Trestles so there must be some way to get around it.

42mph here:

Reactions: CutnSnip

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
A lot of the ebikes have modes is my understanding which is the loophole being used.

“bike path” mode is limited to a certain speed
”no m1/m2“ mode is limited to another certain speed
“dgaf“ mode is free for all top speed.

if you were on one of these, would you ever take it out of “dgaf” aside from nursing the battery?

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
When I got my MTB, a friend said don't even consider an ebike unless you're over 60.
Now on the trails, I get passed by them all the time, annoying as fvk. whatever though....
Ha, yeah. Last summer I rode the Etape du Tour, an event in the French Alps that follows the route of a Tour de France stage. i was about 30 km up a 40 km climb, dying, on my carbon fiber race bike when I passed this Karen on a ladies e-bike. Not a hair out of place.

I actually don't have anything against e-bikes, especially for commuting. A number of countries, including here in France, will give you 500 euros stimulus money to buy one. I expect some day I'll get one, either for commuting or riding when I'm too old to get up hills. By that time there should be more sustainable power generated so it won't be adding net fossil fuels to what's left of our worn out atmosphere...

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Regarding maximum speed, it's not really the top speed that worries me but the ability to accelerate super fast in a crowded area.

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Don't see them on the east coast, though scooters are everywhere (in DC)...Both suck!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do they make all mountain bikes with e-assist now? All the fun and none of the work.

would bang.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
When I got my MTB, a friend said don't even consider an ebike unless you're over 60.
Now on the trails, I get passed by them all the time, annoying as fvk. whatever though....

I am fighting the good fight to not get one until my first heart attack or stroke or cancer treatment or horrible accident because once you taste horsepower it very tough to give it up.

Anyway, there is a neato crowd-source carbon fiber bike that is 3D printed and has no traditional seat tube...the frame is rhomboid shaped. I think you are supposed to supply them with your measurements and they scale it to fit you, so I suppose there is nearly infinite frame sizes. I don't know if they have started shipping them yet and I forget the name, but it will be interesting to see how this tech performs. I do like the idea of future manufacturing making things as needed (based on actual demand instead of forecasts) and with individualization as needed....mass production of a different order.

PS
Some of these Ebikes need to take a lesson in Italian motorcycle design and use the battery and motor part as a stressed member of the frame, like Ducati does with their engines.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
ebikes are the SUPs of the biking world. They are great for running around town, but the mountain bike community is fiercely divided on their use on good mtb trails.
Different strokes for different folks. Here in Laguna they are being used by so called hardcore MTBers and many Rads are on them. But most of us ride illegal trails anyways so its all good.