e-bike's?

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
Mike Rad*** grew up around here, used to ride his homemade electric bike to golf practice. He's done quite well for himself with those Rad bikes. He also helped develop the Golf Board that Laird helped make famous. His bikes are very high quality, that's why they're expensive. Good kid, good company.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Keep in mind that e-bikes are almost as dangerous as motorcycles in traffic. Some people just don't pay attention
Yesterday, my brother-in-law was hit by a car making a right turn, they weren't paying attention and he was proceeding straight and they turned in front of him sending him over the hood and onto the pavement separating his shoulder. His helmet saved his melon.
They RAN!
He's a SB sheriff and was able to get the license plate via a traffic cam at the intersection.
Someone is in DEEP $HIT! :foreheadslap:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I was literally just about 2 feet from hitting a kid on an e-bike in Encinitas an hour ago. Rode right in front of me. No looky.

All I'm seeing anywhere are e-bikes. All the kids have them.

Jun 3, 2014
I bought a RadRunner back in August. Tons of storage options and just pure fun when you want to cruise around.
How does this thing handle sand/riding on the beach? Tires wide enough?

There's a south facing beach near me I've been dying to check out on certain swells, but it requires either a $28 ferry ride (without cars being allowed) or ~8 mile one way beach walk to get to. I guess I should check it out first but I've been eyeing the fat tire e-bikes for this purpose. Just wondering if this one would work though.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
How does this thing handle sand/riding on the beach? Tires wide enough?

There's a south facing beach near me I've been dying to check out on certain swells, but it requires either a $28 ferry ride (without cars being allowed) or ~8 mile one way beach walk to get to. I guess I should check it out first but I've been eyeing the fat tire e-bikes for this purpose. Just wondering if this one would work though.
I take my daughters rad bike on sand. Works perfect. Throw my little guy on back too. Hes 9 so handles some weight with us both.

Reactions: bubbs and CutnSnip

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA

This one works on sand according to san o guys. Cheapest one around.
The model that I bought(RadRunner) doesn't do well in deep, soft sand without some serious peddling, but it's fine in shallow sand(like 1"-2"). There are other models with larger and fatter tires that might be better for that. I use mine to ride 2-10 miles(on average) to check the surf, putt around town, etc....

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
The model that I bought(RadRunner) doesn't do well in deep, soft sand without some serious peddling, but it's fine in shallow sand(like 1"-2"). There are other models with larger and fatter tires that might be better for that. I use mine to ride 2-10 miles(on average) to check the surf, putt around town, etc....
Same-didn’t figure people were considering soft sand runs.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
I have a super 73 and my kid has a Rad. Real fun to rip around town, throw a board on for a quick surf etc. Some kids around town drive em like they stole em. Not smart.

1611075856004.png

Reactions: CutnSnip

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Keep in mind that e-bikes are almost as dangerous as motorcycles in traffic. Some people just don't pay attention
Yesterday, my brother-in-law was hit by a car making a right turn, they weren't paying attention and he was proceeding straight and they turned in front of him sending him over the hood and onto the pavement separating his shoulder. His helmet saved his melon.
They RAN!
He's a SB sheriff and was able to get the license plate via a traffic cam at the intersection.
Someone is in DEEP $HIT! :foreheadslap:

Yes. Blowing stop signs while heading up hill under e power really changed the game here. Lots of people who have no idea what they are doing that would normally never have that kind of consistent speed moving around. The e scooters are pretty bad too. I've seen multiple people with no experience eat absolute sh!t on them. Knees locked, feet together, weight forward, heading downhill, looking the wrong way, splat (they are often women. just sayin.)

I doored a guy on a Lyft e bike a year ago. Bent my door and sent hi to the hospital. Luckily he wore a helmet. He was under power, one carlength from the stop sign, about to blow through it and I didn't see him when I opened my door. I felt terrible.