e-bike's?

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Electric bikes could replace cars for most trips 10 miles or less, but then we would all need to have more time, so what would get cut out?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Have thought of doing it for my commute. but even when I lived a mile from work I eventually started driving instead of biking so I figure it will be the same as the past.

if pre-COVID traffic returns it will be entertained. At the moment the commute is no biggie.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I can't remember where you work cas but will you be able to take the trolley when it's done?
I could, the question is to what degree of complexity (time) will it add to my commute?

I based the above 1 hour estimate on the way the trolley is looking right now with the current 55 mph max operating speed of the other trolleys.

I'm doubtful but hopeful.

Last edited:
Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
With what those things cost and California's laws on filtering and lane splitting, sign me up for a used 250 dual sport.

You'll win every bighorn sheep mating rut vs any e-bike, you'll be hilariously faster than them, and if you want to **** off the mtb crew, look no further.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Have thought of doing it for my commute. but even when I lived a mile from work I eventually started driving instead of biking so I figure it will be the same as the past.

if pre-COVID traffic returns it will be entertained. At the moment the commute is no biggie.
You drive a mile to work?

When I was living with housemates in Mission, and before I got a bike, I'd walk to work when it wasn't raining. With all the city traffic, then walking to and waiting at the bus stop, it was maybe 10-15 minutes longer to walk those two miles than take the bus.

Walking also meant i didn't have to deal with bus people.

If you rode a bike, you could get some exercise and wear spandex.:monkey:

Reactions: sizzld1

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
You drive a mile to work?

When I was living with housemates in Mission, and before I got a bike, I'd walk to work when it wasn't raining. With all the city traffic, then walking to and waiting at the bus stop, it was maybe 10-15 minutes longer to walk those two miles than take the bus.

Walking also meant i didn't have to deal with bus people.

If you rode a bike, you could get some exercise and wear spandex.:monkey:
used to. big hill and busy street. biked at first in the summer but dark and cold put me back in the car.

lived in that place less than a year. coincidentally sold my car right after I moved and was biking from further away for a stint.

Reactions: Mr Doof

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara
Christ. Who the fck can afford these?
Just about everyone it appears. Besides Specialized, no bike shops can keep them in stock.

I was against them until I understood their purpose. In dad-mode, time is limited. I can now double-lap some local downhill loops in the same or less amount of time it took me to do it on a regular mtb. So, if the wife gives me 2 hours, I get twice the amount of downhill...twice the fun. I still ride my other bikes just as much or more, but the e-mtb servers its purpose; they are not just for lazy, overweight dentists.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Watch what you say about dentists, when all this passes you will need your teeth cleaned and probably more than that.
Local logistics allowing, If you can afford the time and adopt the temperament to ride anything other than a car to commute, you will be a stronger person, but if it stresses you and screws up the rest of your life, that's not good.
Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder, as was Jerry Lee Lewis's 13 year old cousin. I don't know why that came up but it's a fun fact here 65 years later? Kids and their parents even are like "who?".

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Watch what you say about dentists, when all this passes you will need your teeth cleaned and probably more than that.
Local logistics allowing, If you can afford the time and adopt the temperament to ride anything other than a car to commute, you will be a stronger person, but if it stresses you and screws up the rest of your life, that's not good.
Efficiency is in the eye of the beholder, as was Jerry Lee Lewis's 13 year old cousin. I don't know why that came up but it's a fun fact here 65 years later? Kids and their parents even are like "who?".
Goodness gracious great balls of fire!