Dwart Fin Setup?

Mar 13, 2019
Been awhile since I posted on here. Might be my last chance to take advantage of the collective wisdom now that Surfer is RIP.

Recently picked up a Dwart cheap on CL and have been trying to dial in the fins. Been running KR Parko's both as thruster and as quad w/ GXQ's rear. After a few sessions, the board felt a little lackluster both ways. It's FCS, so I can't run any of my Futures that I'd like to try :foreheadslap:. Before I start burning sessions on fin tests, I thought I'd see if anyone here has any advice on what worked best for them. Quad or thruster? Any fav setups? Thanks.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Quad fin = stretch set
Truster = big merrick sides and m5 or m3 center depending on how much back foot pressure u apply.

If its similar to normal hpsb volume it can be extremely hp, in the high volume range its more cruiser like

Mar 13, 2019
Thanks CasaM and retodd. I have some PC's that I think might be similar. I'll give 'em a try. The board's a 5'6" but it's a bit more volume than I usually ride. My very first session on it I thought it should be 2-3" shorter. Had it out on a head high day and it was fun, but the last few sessions have been waist-to shoulder and feels a little sluggish. Not quite ready to give up on it though.

Truster = big merrick sides and m5 or m3 center depending on how much back foot pressure u apply.
Almost threw a set of MR T-FX fins in there but it just seemed too much and almost sacrilegious with that tail shape.Some boards I only ride as quads or only as thrusters, and some I ride both depending on conditions. Still trying to get a sense of what this board likes best. Much appreciated.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
Even with that tail? Good to know. Then I guess I'll give 'em a try after all. Thanks.
my board didn;t have the wings like the dwart so maybe not as hp but same sort of midpoint forward rounded pin tail outline similar to a hypto krypto. definitely thought the 2+1 loosened it up a lot. going with the smaller center like retodd suggested should help similarly

Last edited:
Reactions: HotHail
Mar 13, 2019
my board didn;t have the wings like the dwart so maybe not as hp but same sort of midpoint forward rounded pin tail outline similar to a hypto krypto. definitely thought the 2+1 loosened it up a lot.
I had a Hypto for a little while. That's a good example of a board that was night and day between quad and thruster. Total dog as a quad. They shouldn't even sell it with a 5-fin option, IMO.

The board outline is only one part of the equation though. Fin placement on two identically shaped boards can make a big diff. I'm not opposed to mixing it up and giving it a try though.