Dune

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I couldn't quite make it through the old one.

Every time I saw this guy...

1636820354045.png

It made me miss this girl...

1636820481150.png

• Haha
Reactions: Sharky

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Whole family went opening night. Had not read the book but still enjoyed the movie. First half seemed slow, second half was great. The cinematography and visuals along with sound are pretty much as good as a movie can get. Was so well done.

Son is huge Dune fan and enjoyed it so much he went back and watched in a second time that week. We are all looking forward to the next movie. :shaka:

Reactions: mundus

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I was impressed with it. Read the book and Dune Messiah in my late teens since
my dad was so frothed out on them. Great stories and very transporting.

I love David Lynch‘s work so I still hold a special place for his take on Dune regardless
of how dated it looks and how ridiculous the script is. There is so much wrong with it
it just seems right in a Lynchy kind of way.

The new film is visually stunning. I’m pretty jaded by entertainment these days and was fully
prepared to be bummed out by too many explosions and CGI overload but this film
succeeded on many levels for me. Really looking forward to the next part.

Reactions: Mr Doof
Jan 4, 2016
If you are interested in Dune, there's a documentary that came out about 10 years ago called "Jodorowsky's Dune". Alejandro Jodorowsky is a cult film maker of the most insane kind. If you want to check out his finest works, watch "El Topo" and/or "The Holy Mountain".
Anyway, he spent years and a small fortune to get his version of Dune to the big screen, however it never happened. He refused to compromise on any part of his vision of the film, including the running time, which clocked in at around 8 or 10 hours. He had Mick Jagger, Orson Welles, David Bowie and Salvador Dali and a few other notables cast as main characters. His own son was going to play Paul Atreides, and he made his son take years of martial arts in preparation for the roll. H.R.Geiger and Chris Foss were in charge of the visual production.
They show a lot of production renderings in the documentary, like Lynch's version, not sure it would have done the book justice but it would have been a very interesting version.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I keep falling asleep when I’m watching it
Says more about how early I fall asleep than about the movie
I had to read the book for a sci-fi lit class in college. Read the rest of the series for fun
And I was no reader and had no interest in sci-fi.
It was just a really good storytelling

SlicedFeet

Miki Dora status
Dec 17, 2004
Swarm Diego
I watched the original recently and laughed....it was like green screen 1.0

it was also a David Lynch film...soo...extra weird and elliptical

I bought the book; I've been on a sci-fi jag lately.

I'm looking forward to this and the new Wes Anderson flick
But dood...Sting on speed!

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
"Paul Atreides, a brilliant and gifted young man born into a great destiny beyond his understanding" ....feels like it's written for 11 year old boys. What, Harry Potter too recent to re make?

bogusmedia

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 17, 2008
santa bruta
www.morganmaassen.com
i thought the new Dune was good but not great. lots of pretty cinematography but pretty poor story-building and dialogue. had i not read the books and seen the original i think i would have been lost about who the houses were and why the surprise attack happened.

big hawaiian growly man was almost a dealbreaker for me, he's like the Rock or chris pratt... they just play themselves in movies and suck any seriousness out of a film.

Reactions: mundus and afoaf

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
did you ever see Peter Jackson's "Bad Taste"?
Enjoyed it at the midnight viewing.

Early 90s saw a great double feature of Meet the Feebles and Dead Alive at the Red Vic. Great cinema? I don't know about that, but certainly bizarrely funny and clever (in their own manner).

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I thought the cinematography was awesome and will probably win all the Oscar awards. Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho was cool too mainly because the Atredies are from a water rich planet so it makes sense that a pacific islander should be in the main cast and it makes sense that action movie star should be the man at arms. Plus, Duncan Idaho makes a reappearance in later books as a man whore not to give away too much, which is probably why they added so much more to his part of the story in Part 1. The best character so far is Stilgar, Javier Bardem is super cool and perfectly cast. Allot of greek and spanish mediterranean imagery was used as well, which is what Frank Herbert was alluding to in the books for house Atredies. I wasnt sure about Timothy Chalemet as Paul at first, but after watching "The King" I knew he would be great for the role. I was worried the grotesque element from the Lynch version would be missing, but the Sardukar and Harkonnen were awesome. I kind of liked how Byzantine the Emperor's entourage looked, but they completely left out any of the Emperor's scenes in Part 1, most likely he and his family will make a grand appearance in part 2. The spice guild was missed, I liked how the junior guild members look in Lynch's version with hoses sticking out of their heads and all that, and the actual navigators were truly grotesque, gave me nightmares as a kid. I think the dudes with orange spice in their helmets were the spice navigator younglings in this version and they looked cool but not as evil as the Lynch version and really played no role as of yet. I did not like the Mentats in this one at all. They seemed more like cyborgs rather than meth heads as described in the books. I mean the entire point of the book is to draw the analogy that drugs in the future will be our source of technology as opposed to computers, which is why there was the whole Butlerean Jihad in the first place to eliminate robots. It seems to me allot of the movie that would fill in some gaps were left on the cutting room floor. The same fate if not worse happened to Lynch's version, which is not so bad if you can find the 3 1/2 hour cut. I hope a longer cut will be released later next year before Part 2 maybe for HBOmax direct to stream instead to fill in some details about the Guild and all that back story. I do like some of the changes that were made to help keep the sci-fi element and action up for the movie. I hope they fix the ending in Part 2 with the final battle because in the book and in the Lynch movie it really doesnt make any sense. The only good thing about it is Aliah being super creepy. The entire book series is more like reading the bible than a sci-fi action thriller. The Lynch version was like a bad acid trip while wandering down the wrong hallway in a catholic monastery with bdsm weirdos chasing you. This version is more fantasy island trip through Morocco high on hashish. Denis Villenue said he purposely wanted to make Paul seem less god like in his version, but I think the religious overtones in the book and Lynch's version adds to the horror element that is kind of lacking in this version. Hopefully, they go more darker in Part 2 and not worry about getting a pg 13 rating.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho was cool too mainly because the Atredies are from a water rich planet so it makes sense that a pacific islander should be in the main cast
Only Duncan Idaho is not from Caladan. If I remember right he’s from Giedi Prime, homeworld of House Harkonnen, and by all accounts a very uptight planet. No aloha spirit on that world.

Yes, I‘m a nerd for knowing that. :geek:

Last edited: