Dune

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Saw it last night and was pretty much blown away. Goose bumps again and again and again. I think if you like the books you're pretty much guaranteed to love the movie. They totally nailed it in my opinion.

But here's the thing that really intrigues me... My son has never read the books, said he felt like he didn't really understand what was going on in a lot of the movie... but still says it was one of his favorite movies ever! The cinematography, sound, and special effects are just THAT GOOD! No plot required LOL!

I haven't talked to any chicks who have seen it yet, but I'm sure they will all love it too. Because Duncan Idaho. LOL

Great flick.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Saw it last night and was pretty much blown away. Goose bumps again and again and again. I think if you like the books you're pretty much guaranteed to love the movie. They totally nailed it in my opinion.

But here's the thing that really intrigues me... My son has never read the books, said he felt like he didn't really understand what was going on in a lot of the movie... but still says it was one of his favorite movies ever! The cinematography, sound, and special effects are just THAT GOOD! No plot required LOL!

I haven't talked to any chicks who have seen it yet, but I'm sure they will all love it too. Because Duncan Idaho. LOL

Great flick.
I watched the original recently and laughed....it was like green screen 1.0

it was also a David Lynch film...soo...extra weird and elliptical

I bought the book; I've been on a sci-fi jag lately.

I'm looking forward to this and the new Wes Anderson flick

Reactions: crustBrother

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
When I was in college the books were all the rage. I read them all. First movie was pretty bad. But I STILL watched it multiple times. :roflmao:I was pumped for this one. I loved it, you could get lost in the whole thing. Which is what entertainment is all about for me at the moment. But the first movie was incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't read the books. I wonder if this one isn't suffering from some of the same. The amount of detail in the books is going to be pretty challenging to convey to a 100% new audience. My wife kept asking me questions. But she is also not a sci fi fan, so the attention factor was somewhat lacking. I would be interested in whether a reasonably intelligent and attentive watcher who has no previous exposure to the story would "get it." Visually it's stunning. I have a feeling it is going to send a new generation running for the books. Except this generation doesn't really read for entertainment do they? Oh well.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
My kids are voracious readers! Probably because dad is an asshole and made them wait on the tablets haha.

Going to recommend Dune to my son, he loves sci fi stuff. Great idea!

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Never read the books and not much of a sci fi guy but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was surprised I liked it so much after reading a lot of bad reviews. I was not stocked on the 35 minutes (yes I timed it) of previews before the movie even started which meant I was in the seat for 3+ hours. Thank god for the reclining seats.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Sharky--> Tell her is it Game of Thrones in a different setting; about colliding power (of/from groups and individuals) and how the individuals and groups react, with a touch of, I don't, know, a touch of destiny/fate/random chance. Maybe that will pique her interest more...or not.

afoat--> In the same goofy way I like the old 50s and 60s bad science fiction (way more fantasy/supernatural/fiction than science), I kinda enjoyed seeing the David Lynch version again recently. They should have spent less $ on costume/set design and more on script, but, well, whatever. I view it as a period piece along the same lines of Barbarella. This newer version is better aligned with the book and not as hammy (looking at you, Sting).

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
the first movie was incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't read the books. I wonder if this one isn't suffering from some of the same.
Yeah, I think so. My son hasn't read the books, just saw the new movie, and says he loved the movie but feels like there is lot going on that he just doesn't understand.
I have a feeling it is going to send a new generation running for the books. Except this generation doesn't really read for entertainment do they? Oh well.
Heh. Yup. My son says he wants to read the books now. Fingers crossed. Both my wife and I are HUGE readers and we invested HEAVILY in passing that on to our kids. And totally failed. Its the wierdest thing. Both kids are fine on reading comprehension and the associated academics. But neither of them derive pleasure from reading. I can't figure it out. Makes me sad. I mean reading isn't as good as sex, but its better than drugs, right? Tied with rock and roll maybe? sh!t.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
When I was in college the books were all the rage. I read them all. First move was pretty bad. But I STILL watched it multiple times. :roflmao:I was pumped for this one. I loved it, you could get lost in the whole thing. Which is what entertainment is all about for me at the moment. But the first movie was incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't read the books. I wonder if this one isn't suffering from some of the same. The amount of detail in the books is going to be pretty challenging to convey to a 100% new audience. My wife kept asking me questions. But she is also not a sci fi fan, so the attention factor was somewhat lacking. I would be interested in whether a reasonably intelligent and attentive watcher who has no previous exposure to the story would "get it." Visually it's stunning. I have a feeling it is going to send a new generation running for the books. Except this generation doesn't really read for entertainment do they? Oh well.
Sometimes my students will be reading a book for pleasure in class before we start and I always say, "Do kids still do that?"

Reactions: Sharky

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
When I was in college the books were all the rage. I read them all. First movie was pretty bad. But I STILL watched it multiple times. :roflmao:I was pumped for this one. I loved it, you could get lost in the whole thing. Which is what entertainment is all about for me at the moment. But the first movie was incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't read the books. I wonder if this one isn't suffering from some of the same. The amount of detail in the books is going to be pretty challenging to convey to a 100% new audience. My wife kept asking me questions. But she is also not a sci fi fan, so the attention factor was somewhat lacking. I would be interested in whether a reasonably intelligent and attentive watcher who has no previous exposure to the story would "get it." Visually it's stunning. I have a feeling it is going to send a new generation running for the books. Except this generation doesn't really read for entertainment do they? Oh well.
I got it. I watched it before I even heard any critical acclaim and thought it was one of the best movies I've seen in years. I started telling everyone about it and they were like "yeah I know man."

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
I was going to not watch watch it because the first movie sucked so much and the story is like sci Fi 101, pre Star Wars stuff.
Probably going to check it out now, though.

Reactions: PPK96754

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I find the Wes Anderson movies better the second time I watch.
WA films are eminently rewatchable....visually, there is a lot to see in the background detail

especially his stop motion stuff. I've chewed through Isle of Dogs probably half a dozen times

Going to recommend Dune to my son, he loves sci fi stuff. Great idea!
refer Leckie's "Imperial Radch" series to him....it's a cool contemporary sci-fi series that is very approachable

Reactions: santacruzin

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
WA films are eminently rewatchable....visually, there is a lot to see in the background detail

especially his stop motion stuff. I've chewed through Isle of Dogs probably half a dozen times

refer Leckie's "Imperial Radch" series to him....it's a cool contemporary sci-fi series that is very approachable
I watched Sicario multiple times.

Roger Deaken's cinematography is soooooo good!

It makes me want to do that.

But good art always does.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Dune is so good. The books (well, the one's written by Frank Herbert), the Lynch movie, the new movie. All fkn awesome in their own ways.

It was actually finding the Lynch movie on basic cable while flipping through the channels one day many years ago (back when blindly flipping through channels was a thing that we did) that got me into it in the first place. The absolute unapologetic incoherence really drew me in.

My fiance thought the new movie was great and not too hard to follow though I'm sure there were some details that she didn't pick up.

No previews when you stream it on HBOMAX :shaka:

Reactions: Mr Doof

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The plot is pretty simple.

It's an escape movie.

The hero takes flight.

I guess how you treat the simple plots is everything.

Movies are a visual medium and DV has that part down.

The characters were likeable too. Lots of great actors.

I like that part when the mom beat up the one guy who wanted to kill her and he says "Oh, you should have told us you can fight."

That was funny.

An effective use of reversal.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I was going to not watch watch it because the first movie sucked so much
I saw it in the theaters when it came out and was truly amazed at how bad it sucked. I think I have to watch it again tonight just to see if it is as bad now as it was then.