Dual foil keels— does anyone prefer them?

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
If so, why?

Are there fish design elements (eg, wider tail) that make dual foil as opposed to flat inside foil fins better?

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
Have a stretch 2win fish and rode a bunch of fins before setting on the Alkali Ellis Twins. They have a 70/30 foil.

Not keels (they are pretty upright) but the inside foil helped a lot compared to other upright fins I rode with that feeling you get on twins where the board breaks free suddenly and stops you from pushing thru the arc of the turn.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
From what i was told the dual foil fin complemented the idea that you were riding 2 pin tails

Reactions: oeste858

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
From what i was told the dual foil fin complemented the idea that you were riding 2 pin tails
I get it as an initial concept but post 1967 or whatever does it still have any merit?

I rewatched the “Fish” documentary yesterday and I wish they would’ve spoken about this specifically

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
There was a session many years ago at lowers

One CC true skip fry style keel with dual foil geppies
One Stamps modern fish with flat (asym) foil keels

It was very clear that I would never ride a dual foil keel again

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
So I can imagine that if you were just going straight like on a single fin maybe on a barreling wave maybe the dual foil would make sense

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
I have not had any luck w/ single foil keels, either removable or glassed on. My best twin fish experiences have all been w/ glassed on double foiled keels.
That said, I’m going to find out for sure soon, b/c I just put a double fish order in w/ Brian Wynn. Identical boards, one w/ Futures (in which I’m going to run the Captain CC keels) & one w/ True Ames Geppy #2 in bamboo.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
double foil more hold and drivey but maybe that's cause they're usually larger in size.

my mitsven (single foil) felt better in larger and steeper surf, hanel (single) mas rippable

Reactions: JDJ

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I have not had any luck w/ single foil keels, either removable or glassed on. My best twin fish experiences have all been w/ glassed on double foiled keels.
That said, I’m going to find out for sure soon, b/c I just put a double fish order in w/ Brian Wynn. Identical boards, one w/ Futures (in which I’m going to run the Captain CC keels) & one w/ True Ames Geppy #2 in bamboo.
so what do you like better about the double foil?

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
so what do you like better about the double foil?
they feel faster w/ less input from me. Single foils I’ve had have all felt dead & that they needed a lot more input to generate speed than the double foils.
I once took a great 5’10” fish w/ bamboo Geppys back to the shaper & had him grind them off & replace them w/ bamboo Hobies. Killed the board. I had another, a 5’8” w/ similar template to the above 5’10” w/ marine ply Hobies that just would not go. Had a few moments where I could see what the board wanted to be, but just couldn’t get it there. Ive had a couple others that I ran the much-beloved Rasta keels in & just found them to be lackluster compared to my fish w/ double foil keels. The boards have had a variety of templates & dims...the only common denominator in the duds are the single foil keels.

Reactions: Bman76

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
they feel faster w/ less input from me. Single foils I’ve had have all felt dead & that they needed a lot more input to generate speed than the double foils.
I once took a great 5’10” fish w/ bamboo Geppys back to the shaper & had him grind them off & replace them w/ bamboo Hobies. Killed the board. I had another, a 5’8” w/ similar template to the above 5’10” w/ marine ply Hobies that just would not go. Had a few moments where I could see what the board wanted to be, but just couldn’t get it there. Ive had a couple others that I ran the much-beloved Rasta keels in & just found them to be lackluster compared to my fish w/ double foil keels. The boards have had a variety of templates & dims...the only common denominator in the duds are the single foil keels.
so you don’t think this is driven by fin shape, base measurements or glass on vs fin box?

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
Good point BIlly,
Most dual foil fins have no toe and can't is at a 45 degree angle ( no can't )

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
so you don’t think this is driven by fin shape, base measurements or glass on vs fin box?
I’m sure those things play into it to some degree, hence my experimentation w/ a variety of templates...TA Hobie (removable & glass on), Rastas, Futures K1 & K2, etc...thus my preference for double foil glass on keels.

Reactions: Billy Ocean
Feb 22, 2019
SB
I feel the same way. My first fish had geppy #1s and that board carried through turns, was drivey, had more hold and felt more connected than the three prior to retiring it. All of them I experimented with. Some were quads, had boxes for single foil keels, two were sidecut and my most recent was asymmetrical. None as good as the first and I’ve gotten much better at surfing!

RattimusBeach

Nep status
Jun 2, 2014
Torrance, CA
My Burch classic fish has dual foil (50/50) and it goes great in good surf. Definitely doesn't have the drive I want in weaker surf though. Same goes with a set of Burch upright fins I have with dual foil. No drive in weak stuff but holds and turns well in better waves.

Any preferences 80/20 vs 70/30? I have the Salty Merchants Electric Keels with 80/20 and they've been fun. Surprisingly goes well in weaker stuff which goes against my observation above. Maybe the template makes a big difference. But it looks like they changed their Electric Keels from 80/20 to a flat foil...maybe feedback wasn't good on it?

Reactions: Bman76

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
My Burch classic fish has dual foil (50/50) and it goes great in good surf. Definitely doesn't have the drive I want in weaker surf though. Same goes with a set of Burch upright fins I have with dual foil. No drive in weak stuff but holds and turns well in better waves.

Any preferences 80/20 vs 70/30? I have the Salty Merchants Electric Keels with 80/20 and they've been fun. Surprisingly goes well in weaker stuff which goes against my observation above. Maybe the template makes a big difference. But it looks like they changed their Electric Keels from 80/20 to a flat foil...maybe feedback wasn't good on it?
I've always wanted to try some of those electric keels. I have been using the alkali EE keel fins and like everyone here suggests, they do well in better surf.