Drum kit advice

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I know hal is a drum animal

maybe there are some others here

my son is starting to take drum lessons. he's 12. he had one lesson already and is very pumped on it and has scheduled 2 more lessons this week. he wants to play rock, which I think is pretty wild as rock is not even on the radio anymore. maybe there's hope for the future after all..

anyway, wondering about any recommendations regarding drum kits

I really know nothing

On guitars, my experience is that very cheap guitars have gotten so good that they are totally fine for beginners

I don't know if the same is true for drums

they seem pretty complicated-- lots of components

if its a difference of spending slightly more to get something that he won't immediately view as obsolete garbage, I'm willing to spend a bit more.

However, I wouldn't spend thousands on a kit for a beginner kid, so needs to be more on the cheap end.

thanks for any insight!

Reactions: Ifallalot

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA

my son is starting to take drum lessons. he's 12. he had one lesson already and is very pumped on it and has scheduled 2 more lessons this week. he wants to play rock, which I think is pretty wild as rock is not even on the radio anymore. maybe there's hope for the future after all..

I really know nothing

On guitars, my experience is that very cheap guitars have gotten so good that they are totally fine for beginners

if its a difference of spending slightly more to get something that he won't immediately view as obsolete garbage, I'm willing to spend a bit more.

However, I wouldn't spend thousands on a kit for a beginner kid, so needs to be more on the cheap end.

thanks for any insight!
PM me Where you live. My son may have an extra kit (my 8 year old grand son has been working on his drumming for 5-6 months I think). If one of the kits is available I’ll get back to you with details. John. (Encinitas/Cardiff)

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Yamaha makes good cheap drums.

Does he have a drum pad?

Try to find a used set?

I gave mine to goodwill to make room in my dungeon and they didn't want it. It was a decent set.

Is this the son who uses his retard super powers to get girls?

If he learns how to play drums he will be able to hose down the entire village with his cum making sure every pretty girl gets a taste.

You guys can start a band.

Good rock drumming is an amazing thing.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

I really know nothing

thanks for any insight!

You're correct, lots of overseas kits are very high quality and sound great. And if you have an halfway decent ear you can even make a garbage kit sound great.

So......on to suggestions......there are so many good ones to choose from.

Any idea what size you'd be looking for? I usually start with he bass drum and work up from there. Standard rock kits pretty much all have 22" bass, 16" floor tom, and one or two rack toms usually 12" and 13".

A 20" kick will get you any sound from jazz to rock and they're a little more portable and take up less space.

Even an 18" kick on a little jazz kit will pack a punch.

If you want to get a used kit, look on FB marketplace, reverb, ebay. If you're looking for new, there are plenty of places online.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Autoprax sometimes it comes across like you think you're helping.

I am not sure everything you wrote here is helping.

But I could be wrong.

Drums are loud.

I'd get pads and have him continue with lessons.

Earplugs sold at drug stores.

See your doctor for the good sh!t.

• Dislike
Reactions: afoaf

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
So, on to suggestions (sorry for double posts, but this is a critical issue, IMHO).......

Autoprax is correct. You can almost never go wrong with Yamaha. I'd take a look at the stage custom line. You could buy that kit and literally get decades out of it.

Crush drums has been making some killer stuff, and at a great price. Reviews have been very good for these drums (https://reverb.com/item/34400705-crush-drums-chameleon-jazz-drum-kit-blue-sparkle-set-w-18-inch-kick)

Ludwig element is decent, you can usually find them for a few hundred used. You can even find an 80s ludwig rocker kit for like $250 and those are pretty high quality.

Gretsch Catalina are another good option. You can usually find kits used for a few hundred.

As for cymbals, probably start with a left crash and a ride on the right. Paiste PST 5 or PST 7 are really high quality entry-level cymbals. I've seen touring musicians use those. Or just look online for old zildjians, you can usually pick them up cheap. Got with 14" hi hats, that's the most common size.

More than anything else......practice rudiments at least 3-4x a week.

Also, what price range are we talking? You can PM me if you don't want to say on the open forum.

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
I picked up a used Gretsch renown kit on Craigslist for $600. Complete set with 3 Tom's, 2 crash, 1 ride, throne, double kick pedal and it sounds awesome. Got my girls playing and they're really loving it too. That said, I'm glad we got the acoustic set.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
What do you call a drummer who’s girlfriend dumps him? Homeless.

I’ve been out of it for a long time so my info may be about a decade behind but...Just starting out probably fine to get a cheap used Tama Rockstar or Pearl equivalent kit. I would think a kick, floor Tom, rack Tom and snare could be found under $300. Put some new heads on ‘em and tune ‘em up and bash away.

Cymbals can get pricey quick, but I think Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste all make cheap starter packs. They sound shitty but unless he’s recording a demo it won’t really matter at this point.

Hardware like cymbal stands, hi hat stand, throne, and pedal are where it’s worth it to spend a little extra. You can take those with you if you upgrade the kit. (Same with cymbals). I liked double braced, sturdy hardware that doesn’t move around or scoot away (rubber feet). You may want an area rug to put everything on too. It should keep the kit together and will collect all the wood shavings from the sticks.

I always hated playing on electronic kits but I never played on a really high dollar kit with good feel to it. But if being quiet is a must it’s probably the best way to go.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Electronic kits are like boning with a condom: it's not as good as going in bareback, but at least you don't get the girl pregnant.

DW makes great drums.

Reactions: hal9000

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
PM me Where you live. My son may have an extra kit (my 8 year old grand son has been working on his drumming for 5-6 months I think). If one of the kits is available I’ll get back to you with details. John. (Encinitas/Cardiff)
Thanks man. I'm on the east coast. I'm guessing it probably doesn't make sense to ship across the country but I do appreciate the offer.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Lots of great advice-- thanks

We're probably going to buy used since there seem to be a lot of entry level kits around-- just wanted to get sense of what to look out for. We already found a couple of people trying to get rid of sets locally.

I had a feeling Yamaha might be a good option as they seem to do cheap instruments well across the spectrum

my feeling is just get him something basic that will allow him to get the rudiments down and then if he sticks with it we can upgrade.

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

practice pad kits are fun, especially if you like to play at night, or have a new baby in the house, or if you live in an apartment or condo. but nothing beats loud acoustic drums and rumbling the entire house.

dream kit, which I already have, albeit in mix and match colors.

Ludwig 26" bass, 18" and 16" floor tom, 14" rack tom.

Paiste giant beat cymbals:
15" hi-hats
18" crash
20" crash
24" (but sometimes use a 22") ride

My version has a red sparkle 1969 ludwig bass drum and all the rest of the drums are early 2000s made in USA ludwig. It's a banger.

Careful buying drums, they are habit forming. My name is Josh and I am a cymbalholic.

Lots of great advice-- thanks

We're probably going to buy used since there seem to be a lot of entry level kits around-- just wanted to get sense of what to look out for. We already found a couple of people trying to get rid of sets locally.

I had a feeling Yamaha might be a good option as they seem to do cheap instruments well across the spectrum

my feeling is just get him something basic that will allow him to get the rudiments down and then if he sticks with it we can upgrade.
absolutely. the best thing is just to get him behind a kit and start practicing. he'll figure out as he goes what he wants to change or modify.

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Pearl Exports are great, Yamaha lower to mid-range is great, as are Gretsch Catalina. Watch some of Steve Gadd's YT videos on how to tune them. Definitely avoid off brands like CB. Cheap cymbals do sound pretty cheap but nice ones are rather expensive. Cheap cymbals won't matter if he's any good though. A good kick pedal you can adjust easily is very important. This one looks really clean https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP50--tama-the-classic-single-pedal. Oh yeah and spend a few extra on a nice throne that's sturdy, easy to adjust, comfortable and doesn't squeak. A good one should last a very long time.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Pearl Exports are great, Yamaha lower to mid-range is great, as are Gretsch Catalina. Watch some of Steve Gadd's YT videos on how to tune them. Definitely avoid off brands like CB. Cheap cymbals do sound pretty cheap but nice ones are rather expensive. Cheap cymbals won't matter if he's any good though. A good kick pedal you can adjust easily is very important. This one looks really clean https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP50--tama-the-classic-single-pedal. Oh yeah and spend a few extra on a nice throne that's sturdy, easy to adjust, comfortable and doesn't squeak. A good one should last a very long time.

+1 on the pedal. that pedal will do fine, you don't need anything too fancy. Bonham played on a speed king, which, by today's standards, would be kind of a garbage pedal. I have a speed king and love to play it. Like anything else, it's most the archer, not the arrow.