Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Your statement belies an understanding of human behavior in a social environment.
Dude, are you fucking retarded?

Let me break it down for you.

Scenario #1…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. Government forces him to close. He did not choose to close. 0% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

Scenario #2…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. No government intervention. He closes. He made a choice. 100% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

Scenario #2b…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. No government intervention. He stays open. He made a choice. 100% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

See? With nobody forcing you to close or stay open you have to make that choice yourself.

Reactions: SurfMission

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Scenario #1…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. Government forces him to close. He did not choose to close. 0% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

Scenario #2…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. No government intervention. He closes. He made a choice. 100% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

Scenario #2b…

Guy owns a restaurant. COVID hits. No government intervention. He stays open. He made a choice. 100% of restaurant owners in this scenario made the choice to close or stay open.

See? With nobody forcing you to close or stay open you have to make that choice yourself.
Funny that you are picking restaurants given the facts.

The National Restaurant Association estimates a 20% success rate for all restaurants. About 60% of restaurants fail in their first year of operation, and 80% fail within 5 years of opening.

Do you have data on the
failure rate during the pandemic?

The covid probably put them out of their misery more quickly.

Never forget!

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

Scenario #1…

Scenario #2…

Scenario #2b…

You’re leaving out some big details…

1. PPP loans. Without ppp loans a lot of businesses would have suffered sans government intervention. Your selective memory forgets that there was a time when restaurants had to shut their doors because none of their staff was healthy.

2. Local government relaxed laws about things like zoning for outdoor dining, takeout liquor sales etc. looking back at the pandemic I watched some restaurants shut their doors and I watched others adapt and pivot their business model and thrive. One of my favorite restaurants in my old neighborhood crushed it during the pandemic and they now have outdoor seating and the ability to serve about 200 more people in a shift than they did before the pandemic. I’m pretty sure they’re not complaining.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Funny that you are picking restaurants given the facts.

The National Restaurant Association estimates a 20% success rate for all restaurants. About 60% of restaurants fail in their first year of operation, and 80% fail within 5 years of opening.

Do you have data on the
failure rate during the pandemic?

The covid probably put them out of their misery more quickly.

Never forget!
First of all, I picked a restaurant because I thought it would be example that you would understand.

Replace restaurant with barber shop, it doesn’t matter.

Secondly, my point isn’t about failure or success, it’s about individuals being allowed to make their own choices.

Im beginning to think that you are in fact retarded.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You’re leaving out some big details…

1. PPP loans. Without ppp loans a lot of businesses would have suffered sans government intervention. Your selective memory forgets that there was a time when restaurants had to shut their doors because none of their staff was healthy.

2. Local government relaxed laws about things like zoning for outdoor dining, takeout liquor sales etc. looking back at the pandemic I watched some restaurants shut their doors and I watched others adapt and pivot their business model and thrive. One of my favorite restaurants in my old neighborhood crushed it during the pandemic and they now have outdoor seating and the ability to serve about 200 more people in a shift than they did before the pandemic. I’m pretty sure they’re not complaining.
I’m talking about choices vs force. I used restaurant as one example of one business.

Im pointing at the moon and you’re staring at my finger.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
First of all, I picked a restaurant because I thought it would be example that you would understand.

Replace restaurant with barber shop, it doesn’t matter.

Secondly, my point isn’t about failure or success, it’s about individuals being allowed to make their own choices.

Im beginning to think that you are in fact retarded.
Sometimes in the name of public health, you have to override the needs of the individual to be free to choose for the nee of the society. It's a balancing act.

In Africa, during the Ebola out break, traditional burial practices helped the virus to spread.

People didn't care. They chose tradition over public safety. Which helped the virus spread.

Sometimes, the freedom of the individual to choose is superseded by the needs of the society in a public health situation.

In a pandemic it's all about success and failure.

I get it.

You don't care about the society if it doesn't affect you.

That seems like a widespread view in America these days.

My take is so many American grew up in a time when they didn't need to make temporary sacrafices for the good of the society.

Reactions: dietz

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Sometimes in the name of public health, you have to override the needs of the individual to be free to choose for the nee of the society. It's a balancing act.

In Africa, during the Ebola out break, traditional burial practices helped the virus to spread.

People didn't care. They chose tradition over public safety. Which helped the virus spread.

Sometimes, the freedom of the individual to choose is superseded by the needs of the society in a public health situation.

In a pandemic it's all about success and failure.

I get it.

You don't care about the society if it doesn't affect you.

That seems like a widespread view in America these days.

My take is so many American grew up in a time when they didn't need to make temporary sacrafices for the good of the society.
Go back the original point I made and what I was responding to.

A poster said the outcomes would be NO DIFFERENT if the government didn’t lock us down. I stipulated to that opinion and even if that’s true then there‘s no justification for the lockdowns.

as for me not caring if it doesn’t affect me, the exact opposite is true. My work was deemed “essential“ and I suffered no economic loss whatsoever, yet I have empathy for those who were forced out of business. I helped people financially, I provided internet access to high school kids that had none at home. We had a kid live with us because his parents bailed back to Mexico due to there work place being closed.

You and your ilk seem to lack that empathy.

“But what about the dead and their families?” (your obvious retort).

The answer there is back to the original point. The lockdowns made no difference. Lockdown or not they all would have died just the same.

Last edited:

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Correct, so the government suspending many of our civil rights wasn’t justified at all.

Why is this so hard for you to understand?

If you’re going to force school closures, business closures, church closures, skate park closures, arrest people for paddle boarding, etc. the onus is on you to justify it all.

That justification never materialized and a bunch of us knew it never would from the beginning.

If people decide on their own to close down their lives then so be it. I still see people wearing worthless surgical masks over their mouths (nose exposed) every day around here. Cool. Good for them. They are making the choice to do that. it’s dumb but it’s their choice and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
What civil rights did you have suspended?

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Here's the list of vaccines we got hit with going from station to station in a single session in boot camp. And not one of us whined even when our arms were so sore we couldn't lift them, and we all felt like we had the flu from hell with some guys puking their guts out for 24 hours. Because we all understood the vaccines not only protected us individually, it kept the rest of our squad healthy as well.
The anti-vax whiners on this forum? Be crying for their mommies if they had to walk through that line. Not that they would being the new breed of wimp ass Trump patriots, big on talking the talk, micro on walking the walk.
  • Adenovirus, Types 4 and 7
  • COVID-19 *
  • Influenza (Flu Shot)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus-diphtheria
  • Varicella

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Here's the list of vaccines we got hit with going from station to station in a single session in boot camp. And not one of us whined even when our arms were so sore we couldn't lift them, and we all felt like we had the flu from hell with some guys puking their guts out for 24 hours. Because we all understood the vaccines not only protected us individually, it kept the rest of our squad healthy as well.
The anti-vax whiners on this forum? Be crying for their mommies if they had to walk through that line. Not that they would being the new breed of wimp ass Trump patriots, big on talking the talk, micro on walking the walk.
  • COVID-19 *
  • Influenza (Flu Shot)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus-diphtheria
  • Varicella
the people on here bitching about this sh!t still are all vaccinated :shrug: :crazy2:

Reactions: tacos and sussle

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
  • COVID-19 *
  • Influenza (Flu Shot)
  • Measles
  • Meningococcal
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus-diphtheria
  • Varicella
I hope you don’t die