Drew Brophy - in ICU w/ COVID fighting for his life

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
What's my narrative?
the harrowing tale of the brave covid patient and his wife who defied conventional wisdom and survived the ICU and beat covid and lived to tell about it in a gofundme that will ever stand as a monument to one man's determination to defy conventional wisdom and survive the ICU and beat covid as they boldly go forth and get funded? or something like that.

actually, i was kind of winging it there but you can use it as needed. :waving:

Reactions: Woke AF

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
the harrowing tale of the brave covid patient and his wife who defied conventional wisdom and survived the ICU and beat covid and lived to tell about it in a gofundme that will ever stand as a monument to one man's determination to defy conventional wisdom and survive the ICU and beat covid as they boldly go forth and get funded? or something like that.

actually, i was kind of winging it there but you can use it as needed. :waving:
Uh, no.

I've spent the better part of the past 2 years taking care of these patients in the ICU, from the time they get intubated til the time they die.

<30% survive COVID in the ICU, so there are very few people that live to tell about it.

That makes his perspective on his time there somewhat unique.

I think he really nails the COVID ICU experience, something few people are able to do.

I expected a lot understandably ignorant babble like you hear/read from most ICU sickies who were there for whatever reason but it was actually the opposite.

I'm far from a heartwarming/uplifting/sensitive guy so could give two fucks about any inspiration because I don't get inspired by medical perserverance.

As for the people shitting on the guy

I don't know anything about his thoughts on anything related to COVID or vaccines or whatever, nor would I care.

Why would I?

Much illness is related to poor choices - drug abuse, smoking, diet, lifestyle etc...

"They made their choice/shoulda known better so fuck 'em" (?)

Maybe he's a piece of sh!t IRL, I dunno.

Like I said, my only reason to top this thread is I thought he really nailed it in the first half hour.

Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
He decided to take a gamble
You're taking a gamble either way. That's what ACIP does - compute risk vs reward of the vaccine vs. COVID. Unfortunately, the risk of the mRNA vaccines outweighed the reward for young, healthy men under 40:
1656774568903.png

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
Like I said, my only reason to top this thread is I thought he really nailed it in the first half hour.
Not quite, you were asking for proof of his antivaxness and that suggest an anti-confirmation bias of some sort, for some reason. Maybe a bit of hero worship or something for his survival and ability to articulate the ICU experience.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
He wasn’t wrong

It’s like getting mad at someone for getting attacked by a shark or hit by lighting

The odds aren’t are your side
If there was a vaccine that protected you from shark attacks I would probably take it. I’d definitely take it if I ever surfed more shark infested spots.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think he’s over 40 and we don’t know what his health was prior to Covid.
He was a cancer survivor over the age of 50 AFAIK. Were I him, I would've gotten the vaccine. In fact, I did get one.

nimby

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 15, 2011
Older surfer like myself at our beach shared the same experience I had in boot camp...walk through a long tent open on both sides, get hit with 8 vaccines in a matter of minutes..diptheria, dengue fever, etc...'these vaccines will protect you and your fellow soldiers"
Said friend? Refused the vaccine, caught covid early last year, still f'd up, classic long hauler issues with overall weakness, fatigue, shows up at th beach occasoinally, looks at the surf, complains of his health, goes back home. The same guy who took 8 vaccines in boot, wouldn't take one decades later cause it was a matter of principal.
A million dead in the US, and that number likely an undercount due to red state reporting restrictions, the vast majority of them unvaxxed. Tens of millions long haulers whse health has been permanently f'd.
1656776324306.png

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Not quite, you were asking for proof of his antivaxness
Not really.

After I posted people started screeching replies to me about how he was an outspoken antivaxxer.

Thus - I asked where this information is coming from.

and that suggest an anti-confirmation bias of some sort, for some reason.
Not really.

"He's outspoken an antivaxxer" has been reapeated here for a million posts yet no sort of evidence has ever been posted.

That's pretty fckin weird.

For all we know he was vaxxed.

For all we know he was just your typical "I don't need it, I'm healthy."

Maybe he was a guy on a streetcorner waving signs? I have no idea.

I'm an evidence guy.

Maybe a bit of hero worship or something for his survival and ability to articulate the ICU experience.
Hardly.

He got lucky.

Reactions: PRCD

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Uh, no.

I've spent the better part of the past 2 years taking care of these patients in the ICU, from the time they get intubated til the time they die.

<30% survive COVID in the ICU, so there are very few people that live to tell about it.

That makes his perspective on his time there somewhat unique.

I think he really nails the COVID ICU experience, something few people are able to do.

I expected a lot understandably ignorant babble like you hear/read from most ICU sickies who were there for whatever reason but it was actually the opposite.

I'm far from a heartwarming/uplifting/sensitive guy so could give two fucks about any inspiration because I don't get inspired by medical perserverance.

As for the people shitting on the guy

I don't know anything about his thoughts on anything related to COVID or vaccines or whatever, nor would I care.

Why would I?

Much illness is related to poor choices - drug abuse, smoking, diet, lifestyle etc...

"They made their choice/shoulda known better so fook 'em" (?)

Maybe he's a piece of sh!t IRL, I dunno.

So, don't you want to take the weekend off?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Not really.

After I posted people started screeching replies to me about how he was an outspoken antivaxxer.

Thus - I asked where this information is coming from.

Not really.

"He's outspoken an antivaxxer" has been reapeated here for a million posts yet no sort of evidence has ever been posted.

That's pretty fckin weird.

For all we know he was vaxxed.

For all we know he was just your typical "I don't need it, I'm healthy."

Maybe he was a guy on a streetcorner waving signs? I have no idea.

I'm an evidence guy.

Hardly.

He got lucky.
I can’t find any evidence of his vaccine status.

anyways, this was a typical erBB thread - both sides presented their facts/opinions which did nothing to change the other side, then we started talking about drugs and women followed by more yelling at each other, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I can’t find any evidence of his vaccine status.
See cstreet's post - "A bunch of guys on the erBB who didn't know the person said IT IS SO, so it must be."

anyways, this was a typical erBB thread - both sides presented their facts/opinions which did nothing to change the other side, then we started talking about drugs and women followed by more yelling at each other, etc.
I think we're turning a corner here with cstreet though...he seems like a real intelligent guy who's on to something...

Something like "The mob made an accusation so they must be right!"

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I think we're turning a corner here with cstreet though...he seems like a real intelligent guy who's on to something...

Something like "The mob made an accusation so they must be right!"
My money is on “unvaccinated” but I’ve heard from plenty of vaccinated people who had Covid hand their ass to them and Brophy was an older cancer survivor so I’m not sure we can judge his vaccine status from the fact that he went to the hospital.

the vaccine trials had data integrity issues I documented elsewhere and drugs always seem to perform worse than advertised, perhaps because there’s a revolving door between the FDA and the drug companies. Even Bill Gates is now saying they performed poorly, and he’s a big moderna shareholder.

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
So a bunch of people making a claim about someone they don't even know without providing any evidence = evidence?

:unsure:
You're misinterpreting my amusement. It's funny that an "evidence guy" would claim that people in this topic can be quoted as saying "He's [Brophy] outspoken an anti-vaxxer" a million times. Can you show evidence of even one instance of this, Mr. Evidence Guy? Even if that is a direct quote you're claim is still a gross mischaracterization, obviously.

I remember looking it up when this topic started and it appears that Mrs. Brophy is the more outspoken one in the family. She's a Trumpist and did make some anti-vax statements on social media. She probably deleted them, for obvious reasons. She's the marketing manager for the Brophy brand, which I know because I read most of her book, and it's very much her job to manage Brophy's image. Refusing the vaccination because of some stupid political position and living through the consequences of it as Brophy did does not play well with the larger market. I imagine that there's a small market share of idiots who could regard Brophy as a kind of anti-vax hero in some weird twisted way.

kelpcutter

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 24, 2008
Evidence and intelligent conversation are overrated.

I'm sure his ICU experience was horrific and he was lucky to survive. Wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Carry on ...

Reactions: PRCD and Autoprax