Dreams...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
...are a trip.

Last night I dreamed I was singing a song in Italian. I woke up and repeated it to my wife (who's Italian) and she laughed. I asked her if it's a song and she said she'd never heard it.

So I googled the first line I was singing-

"In un vortice di polvere, gli altri vedevan' siccità'," (in a vortex of dust, others saw drought)

A me ricordava la gonna di Sally in un ballo di tanti anni fa (to me it recalled the skirt of Sally in a dance many years ago)

I got the name of the girl wrong- it was Jenny not Sally. It was a song by a famous singer song writer. I must have heard it at some point. But if you ask me to to sing the lyrics of any other Italian song I would only know "Fratelli, Italia.." first two words of the National Anthem and "Gelato Limone.." the first two words of some stupid pop song that got stuck in my head in 1981.

The whole thing was weird. even my wife thought it was really weird.

Last edited:
Reactions: _____ and K1zwark

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Crazy how the subconscious can retain something random like that for so long.

On the other hand, the lyrics are profound enough to be worth hanging onto.

How are you doing with maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity these days?

EDIT - Only asking because I find that my dreams are often a window into waking life or a reflection thereof. If I had that dream I would be wondering if there was some aspect of my life where I was seeing drought instead of dancing Sally's skirts.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Crazy how the subconscious can retain something random like that for so long.

On the other hand, the lyrics are profound enough to be worth hanging onto.

How are you doing with maintaining a positive attitude in the face of adversity these days?

EDIT - Only asking because I find that my dreams are often a window into waking life or a reflection thereof. If I had that dream I would be wondering if there was some aspect of my life where I was seeing drought instead of dancing Sally's skirts.
Yeah, the experience somehow is letting me know that everything we experience is lodged into our gray matter much more indelibly than we think.

I just went through a surf drought because of an injury but was back in the water the past few days and the surf was good. So I'm more in the "dancing Sally's skirt" mindset, than a drought mindset. Thanks for asking though.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
As a disaffected youth in my teens, tried to keep a daily journal (women keep diaries, men journals :p ) from age 16-17. Filled up 9 or so spiral notebooks. Still have them for some reason.

Read one this summer past and besides being totally self-absorbed, disaffected, horny, melodramatic, found some occasional sign of intelligence and direction, but also found a few recollection of dreams. (Seems the more often you write them down, the more you dream...probably just training yourself to remember than dream more often.)

Anyway, one of the dreams I wrote down had me on the back of an elephant (geared up like the war elephants in Lord of Rings) with a green skinned topless alien woman with an ability to blaze out beams from her golden eyes). We were headed into battle on a non-Earth planet (the landscape reminds me of Death Valley with full on jungles in some of ravines, bare desert and stone in the open). I had a crossbow that reloaded automatically and a sabre strapped to my back and had already picked off a few scouts. She was talking in an unknown language that I seemed to understand, the gist of which was after battle, should we survive, much snu snu was to be had.

Boy, Heavy Metal (magazine) did a job on me. :jamon:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
This early morning, I dreamt of being in Los Angles.

It was early evening. I was in that that part of Los Angles that looks like a mix between Alphabet City in the late 80s, the Bronx from the 70s, Century City in that Planet of the Apes prequel, a smidge of Blade Runner, alternately packed full of people on one street like in Soylent Green, devoid of others on the next corner per any apocalyptic zombie aftermath, weather is snowing-turning-to-hail-turning-to-night. When I got out of my vehicle to go to a hole-in-wall club, it was that calm that happens after the hail stops suddenly. The club entrance was was festooned with neon-day-glow graffiti, no signage and no one was outside the door.

Once inside, there was a short line to get through security, wich seemed to consists of someone staring out you. I think they were supposed to be psychic. In front of me was a Darryl Hannah type (from her Splash days) mixed with Carmin Miranda (of 1940s singing fame). She is with some friends and it seems to be they are doing some sort of bachelorette party.

We strike up a conversation and she says we should go, leave her friends to do their thing, and go for some dinner.

I agree, but mention that I think it will soon be raining, and maybe we should take my car. She agrees and we leave. Her friends glare at me.

Now it is really night-time out, and it there is an ominous presence in the air, a feeling of dread. I can't tell where it is coming from until we walk past a dilapidated church next to a bombed out gas-station and power-substation, when she says, "That feeling you have, sorry, I'm radiating, it won't kill you, but it will make you sick."

Suddenly real life intrudes, and remember I'm married. I am instantly consumed with guilt and jolt awake.

I lay there, thinking, 'What the hell is going on with my conscience? I jolt awake for that yet in another dream, where I at my dead friend's funeral, I get to re-experience/live-through all those feelings again and not wake up?" Boy, the mind is a trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: centrlcoastkook

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
I had a dream that I could speak and understand spanish. My wife's niece was telling me to give it to her in the culo. I woke up thinking she must want me......

When I was a kid I had a deram that I won a candy apple red 1957 Chevy Bel Air. So pissed when I realized it was a dream.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni and PJ

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A constant in my dreams is wild architecture. I dream of being in fantastic buildings with unique layouts and extravagant features, like oversized complicated doors, level changes, atriums and water features, full room showers, indoor bridges....Often they don't make sense from a practical design stand point, which is one of the things that can cause me to realize that I am dreaming (the other is trying to use my phone, and finding it to be impossible to get it to do what I want). The locations will be recurring, while the other content of the dreams is not. It can be fun to play around with in particularly lucid moments. My guess is that a lot of it comes from all of the hallucinogenic drug use.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Since I retired from teaching earlier this year, I've been having teaching stress dreams. Last night I dreamed I decided from now on I'll have the students grade the work so I won't have to. So I passed out other student's work to a group of students and told them their homework was to grade the papers by tomorrow and then dismissed them. After they left I realized a large percentage of the class were knuckleheads and would probably lose the papers before they even got home.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
After plugging the jug, Drinking dreams sucked balls…But man that feeling of relief when you wake up and realize you didn’t actually get black out drunk and do some awful sh!t or whatever nightmare the drinking dream became, that feeling of relief was SO sweet. That being said, I was not sorry one bit when the drinking dreams mostly went away. now I have one maybe every several months, and it’s still kinda traumatizing, but nearly as much as they were in the early days of sobriety

Reactions: stringcheese

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I used to have dreams where I was smoking cigarettes, and would be like, oh sh*t, I forgot I quit smoking!
Now that I’m writing this, I think maybe I still have them
But more often, it’s that I’m eating pizza, regular normal pizza, and I’m like, oh s*t, I forgot, I can’t eat pizza!
other than that, I’m not talking about my dreams. Clearly they are some sort of representation of my deepest fears, or desires, or something like that
And, like sbd said, that’s none of your goddamned business

Reactions: Boneroni and Subway

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
After plugging the jug, Drinking dreams sucked balls…But man that feeling of relief when you wake up and realize you didn’t actually get black out drunk and do some awful sh!t or whatever nightmare the drinking dream became, that feeling of relief was SO sweet. That being said, I was not sorry one bit when the drinking dreams mostly went away. now I have one maybe every several months, and it’s still kinda traumatizing, but nearly as much as they were in the early days of sobriety

When I stopped drinking in solidarity to help a friend who had to quit boozing, about a week in, had a dream in which I had become a alcoholic vampire that needed to drink the blood of drinkers in order to live. It seems like I remember having this feeling of relief when I woke up that I wasn't a vampire that needed to drink alcohol enriched blood to live.

Told my buddy this and he tells me he had been having drinking dreams for most of his adult life.

PS
Took about a year of stops and starts for him to finally get off the sauce. I should ask him about drinking dreams as in, "Do you still have them or have they faded away?"

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have dreams there are good waves breaking in Mexico. And I am in the trees looking for my board and I can't find it.

And I'm super bummed out.

I have sex dreams like that where the super hot chick is ready to go and right as I'm going to bone I wake up.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I'd be curious. I haven't had one in ages, last one may very well have been a couple of years ago. There were plenty of other anxieties and uncertainties to clog up my subconscious in the last 18 months lol

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
I have a recurring [non] surfing dream where I'm on the beach and the waves are great, but I don't have a board. I'm then looking around for one to borrow, or even a piece of plywood or something. I never get out there.

What's wrong with me doc?