Dr. Seuss dominating Amazon.com Bestseller list?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
What would you suggest?

Aren't you actually talking about something different?

Considering there was nothing unflattering, false, or misrepresentative of a typical Chinese person of that era. (OK, actually 30 million people died of starvation in China around that time - so maybe misrepresents a bit - but clearly some Chinese were indeed eating at that time, as evidence by the photos below)

What do you mean, "typical Chinese person?" There's no such thing as a typical Chinese person. That's racist. Also posting that picture as an example of a typical Chinese family is racist. This could just as easily be a typical Chinese family
1614820091120.png
or this
1614820120751.png
:poke:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm not sure what is going on.

Did a private publishing company choose to discontinue the publishing of one of their books?

Does anyone realize how often this happens in the publishing world?

Who does everyone have their panties in a bunch about?

Reactions: afoaf

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I'm not sure what is going on.

Did a private publishing company choose to discontinue the publishing of one of their books?

Does anyone realize how often this happens in the publishing world?

Who does everyone have their panties in a bunch about?
Karens gonna Karen

• Haha
Reactions: youcantbeserious

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The pulling of a book because of an image of a Chinese man (historically accurate as Casa pointed out) is kind of a joke. Anti Asian racism isn't-

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
It's pretty easy for the Seuss heirs to pull a bunch of his bad titles, but when they come for the Cat in the Hat I bet there will be pushback. isn't that book promoting child abuse by leaving little kids home alone? What if the Cat was a molester? What then, huh?

I kid, I kid. I couldn't really care less in this case.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
The pulling of a book because of an image of a Chinese man (historically accurate as Casa pointed out) is kind of a joke. Anti Asian racism isn't-

good share.

it's interesting how very little of the actual story is being fleshed out here in the discussion.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I know I am generalizing but generally speaking I find the Asians to be a delightful people.

Most of my A students are smart Asian females with killer work ethics.

It's weird when you talking to smart people and they are taking in everything you say.

I always tell my students if they ever become teachers they should try to teach smart people.

Teaching dumb people is sooooo annoying! :monkey:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Profound editorial at the Post:

"For instance, Seuss’s first children’s book, “And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street” (1937), contains an illustration of a young Chinese man that looks like a pre-World War II stereotype. Because it is."

Perhaps Mr. Charles can inform us what would have appropriately de-stereotyped the image?

Maybe make him look more like this? and change the word sticks to fork?

"A Chinese man, who eats with a fork..."

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PRCD