Dont do this in Japan

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
^I suspect you would catch an earful at the least. If a foreigner gaijin did it a little old lady would emerge out of nowhere with a tiny broom and clean it up. A Japanese would be beaten with that broom by the lady.
wikipedia claims the term "gaijin" is mostly neutral and simply means "foreigner" but my buddy's japanese wife says it carries the connotation of "barbarian"

:roflmao:

my first surfboard ended up on Okinawa

would love to go spend a few months searching for it

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
In this day and age, make sure they remember we were are pretty f-ing barbaric when we want and/or need to be

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I am in Osaka right now and the Dotonburi area is usually as packed as Mardi Gras on Fat Tuesday, but at the end of the night, minimal trash, you don’t even get a hint of **** smell, and the Japanese workers are already cleaning and pressure washing a little after midnight.

One thing I learned about the Japanese after living here, is that even if they absolutely hate you, they are so non-confrontational, that will even try to be as polite as possible to help you. They take a lot of pride in what they do, even those who work the shittiest jobs

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
On the other hand, surfing here is an absolute shitshow. Probably some of the most packed lineups in the planet. On a clean waist high day, I can shake hands with the people sitting out next to me. It drives me nuts, but Japan in general has so much to offer that I have put surfing on the back burner and said F-it and skipped those days, especially surfing on weekends and holidays too

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Even Gaijin barbarians can be loved in Japan:
In Niigata where my daughter lives, skiing was first taught to the Japanese somewhat accidentally in 1911 by an Austrian, an army officer named Theodore Von Lerch. By 1912 there was a Japanese ski club with 6,000 members. It's amazing that today there are statues, cartoons, keychains, dolls of him everywhere. Finally they had something to do in Niigata in winter - and according to my daughter - everybody there skis.
Theodor Von Lurch.jpg

Theodore Von Lerch

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Last edited:
Reactions: Subway

elcalvo

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2004
NE
I finally got around to watching the video.
I would say that people shouldn't do most of those things here either.

Reactions: One-Off

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My favorite thing about modern day Japan is the Living National Treasures program, dedicated to preserving craftsmanship.

Wish we had something like this in the USA. While I was in Italy I got a job doing woodcarving for a furniture maker just south of Lake Como. After 6 months (on a tourist vis) he wanted to get me a legitimate work visa. But it turns out Americans could get a work visa only for certain specializations. Wood carving was considered a manual labor job and not eligible. The owner of the factor complained, "I haven't had an (Italian) young person come in in 15 years asking for a job doing wood carving and you won't let me hire him?" I'll never forget the beaurocrat's response, "If he was Filipino he could get a visa as a domestic worker."

Last edited:
Reactions: tacos

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Saw a busload of Japanese tourists this afternoon, they were walking in single file in perfect unison. Everyone else would stand in awe an click fotos with their cell phones, I couldn't hold back a Standing Ovation to their perfect step.

Reactions: PJ and rowjimmytour