Done with Xcel. Need a new warm hooded 5/4

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a 5/4 cyber.

It was pretty stretchy and warm. It had a stupid velcro entry that was more trouble than it was worth. It also gave me pit rash and it didn't last any longer than an oniell or whatever (1 season). The smoothskin was super fragile. It also didn't have anything to keep the cuffs from folding up during a wipeout.

It seemed like a cold water suit designed by people who don't surf cold water.

Do Axxe even make a hooded suit?

Reactions: ehiunno

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I have a 4/3 Volte and I've been pretty happy with it. Looks like they have a 5/4 hooded with smoothskin on both sides

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Don’t have too many great shots of the suit but here they are. Mine sounds completely different from Aruka’s. It had slimmed/tapered cuff things that worked really well. Lasted a solid 3 seasons for me as well. Front zip entry. All of these things are customizable - from cuffs, entry, liners, smoothy/jersey material. Mine was almost all smoothy (except for thigh area) and lined throughout.
E4C2E2D5-269A-4B51-8120-DAA9A6163F2E.jpeg
7A1A094D-D03C-4835-9D30-B82A2DA5E347.jpeg

4C0E5289-91C5-4C96-85E1-0CED3352340C.jpeg

6FE34BAA-CA87-4626-9BC1-9AFB8F5EA199.jpeg

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
I had a 5/4 cyber.

It was pretty stretchy and warm. It had a stupid velcro entry that was more trouble than it was worth. It also gave me pit rash and it didn't last any longer than an oniell or whatever (1 season). The smoothskin was super fragile. It also didn't have anything to keep the cuffs from folding up during a wipeout.

It seemed like a cold water suit designed by people who don't surf cold water.

When are you going to bust out photos of the wetsuit quiver?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Don’t have too many great shots of the suit but here they are. Mine sounds completely different from Aruka’s. It had slimmed/tapered cuff things that worked really well. Lasted a solid 3 seasons for me as well. Front zip entry. All of these things are customizable - from cuffs, entry, liners, smoothy/jersey material. Mine was almost all smoothy (except for thigh area) and lined throughout.
View attachment 105594
View attachment 105597

View attachment 105595

View attachment 105596
Nice. I'm glad you had a better experience. I just checked my emails and it looks like I got mine in 2013. Sounds like they made some improvements. Maybe they took some of my feedback to heart.

Reactions: daave

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I had a 5/4 cyber.

It had a stupid velcro entry that was more trouble than it was worth.
I don't think they're using that entry any more unless by request.

It also gave me pit rash and it didn't last any longer than an oniell or whatever (1 season).
Pretty much every wetsuit I've ever owned has rashed me at some point. Sometimes at the beginning, other times at the end. TBH I often wonder if it's the salinity or other stuff in the water.

I'd say I get about 2 seasons out of mine. Current suit is my first 3/2 that I requested a liner, I'm interested to see if it extends the life a bit.

The smoothskin was super fragile. It also didn't have anything to keep the cuffs from folding up during a wipeout.
I think you had told me it was getting torn on twigs and stuff so if people hike through brush or wooded areas (PNW) or let their suit scrape the asphalt in the parking lot or have stripper nails it's probably not the best idea to get a lot of smoothie. But you can customize - no smoothie all the way to full smoothie.

Attached hood is an option on some of their suits.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
You do have to be somewhat careful with the smoothy. I can change in my shower after most of my winter sessions at home. I'm sure that makes a difference. I'll also say the neck gasket stuff is a little more bulky than some suits. But it kind of goes well with a full smoothy/fully lined suit - pretty much as warm and watertight as you can get.

To tie it back to the thread title, even changing in shower and taking great care of my suits, recent Xcels have all started leaking/breaking down within 5-10 sessions.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka