Done with Xcel. Need a new warm hooded 5/4

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
The problem with most wetsuits is

a)Surfers have gotten so used to shitty products their expectation of what quality is has become quite low. They also buy into marketing too easy.
b)Majority of big brand wetsuits go to Wavestormers/sunny day hobby surfers furthering this low expectation. One suit lasts them their entire surf career.
c) Most people don't take care of their stuff. Driving around my neighborhood I see tons of suits left drying in the sun for days.

Big brand wetsuits are being made for b and c. Majority of people here are not their target consumer. Product will thus reflect that.
WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO?

ALL SUITS ARE GARBAGE AND LAST TWO SEASONS. JUST THROW THEM AWAY AND BUY A NEW ONE. MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE DUDE.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
MOVE ON WITH YOUR LIFE DUDE.
"Move on with your life."

And yet you keep engaging in discussion.

So not only do you buy cheap shitty products and then complain about them being cheap and shitty

But you also engage in discussion on a topic and then bitch about people engaging with you.

I mean, you could've dropped it.

But you went as far as posting photos.

You really need to work on making up your mind.

You also seem overly emotional.

How are your relationships with women?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Go cheap Rip Curl Dawn Patrol ($269) fits great and has served me well, have an older 5/4 hooded version (third season now) and I can make it through some cold days: Northern New England.
-for me it really tends to be hands then feet that stop my sessions.

Last year for whatever reason I did grab the Body Glove Red Cell 5/4 hooded ($499 to expensive) I've come to like it, not worth the price though, does seem a bit warmer, probably since it's newer, but I think the updated Dawn Patrol, would be just as warm.

Agree Xcel blows, I've really come to dislike a lot of their stuff, and I've had many over the years; the last 6/5 I had also leaked right in the crotch after a year.

Sometimes I wear Xcel 'lobstah' claw gloves, brand new ones this season, with the pruning of my skin the insides start to feel like sandpaper and the tips of my thumbs and index fingers get these nasty nicks/cut on them from the chafing, which is painful when trying to button a shirt or some similar action.

My question is when are they going to make a suit you can throw in the washing machine. Dealing with all of the winter gear in the shower is starting to get old!

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern_Shores

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
The owner of the dive shop by my house turned me onto machine washing my suits. He said only do it if you have a front load (no center agitator) on cold and whatever the gentlest setting is. I don't do it frequently but once the **** stank really builds up or if I'm going to put it away for the season I will wash my suit with a wetsuit shampoo and conditioner. It's hard to say what the long term impacts have been given I don't have a suit I haven't been doing it to, however my suits (mostly O'Neill) last 2-3 years with this treatment and I feel like it leaves the rubber feeling much softer (closer to that new suit feeling) even once it is starting to wear out.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
The problem with most wetsuits is

a)Surfers have gotten so used to shitty products their expectation of what quality is has become quite low. They also buy into marketing too easy.
b)Majority of big brand wetsuits go to Wavestormers/sunny day hobby surfers furthering this low expectation. One suit lasts them their entire surf career.
c) Most people don't take care of their stuff. Driving around my neighborhood I see tons of suits left drying in the sun for days.

Big brand wetsuits are being made for b and c. Majority of people here are not their target consumer. Product will thus reflect that.
You get all custom suits?

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Go cheap Rip Curl Dawn Patrol ($269) fits great and has served me well, have an older 5/4 hooded version (third season now) and I can make it through some cold days: Northern New England.
-for me it really tends to be hands then feet that stop my sessions.

Last year for whatever reason I did grab the Body Glove Red Cell 5/4 hooded ($499 to expensive) I've come to like it, not worth the price though, does seem a bit warmer, probably since it's newer, but I think the updated Dawn Patrol, would be just as warm.

Agree Xcel blows, I've really come to dislike a lot of their stuff, and I've had many over the years; the last 6/5 I had also leaked right in the crotch after a year.

Sometimes I wear Xcel 'lobstah' claw gloves, brand new ones this season, with the pruning of my skin the insides start to feel like sandpaper and the tips of my thumbs and index fingers get these nasty nicks/cut on them from the chafing, which is painful when trying to button a shirt or some similar action.

My question is when are they going to make a suit you can throw in the washing machine. Dealing with all of the winter gear in the shower is starting to get old!
Good to know! Thanks!

I got a front load and did not wash my suit after my last session, been sitting in my car for two days now, and I am sure it is getting nasty.
-I would think boots and gloves would be fine too, time to experiment.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My go to for winter is to hang suit in shower and leave the shower door open, put boots and gloves on a electric boot dryer on the counter (basically a fan on a timer with 4 stalks with vents for your boots and gloves) and then run a dehumidier in the bathroom with door closed. Keeps the stink down and get's the boots and gloves almost dry. Nothing seems to get them completely dry.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I recently started keeping my gear in our guest bathroom (roommate moved out) instead of in the car or garage. I will never forget the face my wife made the first time she caught a whiff of my bootie stank. It's something special.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and oeste858

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
You get all custom suits?
Fullsuits? Yes.

The difference in price is negligible and it makes a huge difference.

It's one of those things you explain to people and they don't know what they're missing out on til they try it.

Downside is if you ever need to buy an OTR suit nothing fits right and you realize just how bad all the suits you thought fit really fit.

Places like Japan (multiple manufacturers) and Peru (Boz) custom suits are pretty standard for people who surf a lot.

Reactions: jkb and mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Fullsuits? Yes.

The difference in price is negligible and it makes a huge difference.

It's one of those things you explain to people and they don't know what they're missing out on til they try it.
All Japanese? Any recommended brands?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
All Japanese? Any recommended brands?
My experience has been with Cyber (made under Toshi's Marine Project) but I have heard good things about BeWet and of course Axxe (most expensive if I'm not mistaken).

Axxe has several distributors in your area where you can get measured but I have no idea what the OTD price is.

Boz would be the cheapest, I have no experience ordering custom from them but I will likely do so this spring for a s/s full if it's still possible to get measured locally (anyone know?)

If you have decent materials then fit is ultimately the most important aspect of the warmth and longetivity of the suit. Pretty much every OTR suit would be made significantly better if the cut was custom.

Reactions: jkb and mundus

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Does Cyber even make a hooded 5/4? 5/3 hoodless is the thickest wetsuit listed on their website

BeWet seems to have essentially no internet presence.

I respect your perspective here and the suits do seem nice, but this really doesn't seem like a practical solution.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Does Cyber even make a hooded 5/4? 5/3 hoodless is the thickest wetsuit listed on their website
At this moment they do not do an attached hood BUT an attachable hood similar to the Oneill Mutant is forthcoming. As far as thickness goes, I can't remember specifics but the thickness combos are different than standard.

BeWet seems to have essentially no internet presence.

I respect your perspective here and the suits do seem nice, but this really doesn't seem like a practical solution.
In some regions it's going to be hard cause you can't get measured. Of course, you can always have someone measure you if the company can send their guidelines. BeWet has several brands under the label and I see them locally on occasion. I know they make some of the team riders wetsuits for the OTR brands so it would be worth shooting them a message to see if anyone distributes for them in the USA. https://www.bpd21.com/wetsuits/

Axxe is an easy option on both coasts, but like I said, more expensive.

And I have no idea about Maxim. http://www.maxim-craft.com/wetsuits2020ss/index.html

Last edited:

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
I have an Airtight suit from Japan. Smoothskin Arms/chest/back. super warm when new, not the most flexible in the upper chest area though. Still kicking after ~4 years although it's now my backup suit as it's got some minor leaks. Would definitely get one again, but they're a pain in the ass to buy being that the entire website is in Japanese.

Lately I've been rocking a True 5/4 hooded and I am extremely pleased with it. Haven't been cold all winter.