Dogs and Dead Seals

warble2

Gerry Lopez status
May 5, 2008
New puppy found his first dead seal today went in like I've never seen before. Fully enveloped in the rotten body cavity with only four paws exposed, shooting to the sky, nestling deeper in the liquified putridness. By the time I ran over and yanked him out of there, he was covered in slime and oils. Grinning ear to ear, I swear he got high off it.

First driveway hosedown and regular pet shampoo bath did nothing. He still smells like death. Before I mix up some vinegar/water/baking soda solution I figured I'd ask if you guys have any tricks.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
New puppy found his first dead seal today went in like I've never seen before. Fully enveloped in the rotten body cavity with only four paws exposed, shooting to the sky, nestling deeper in the liquified putridness. By the time I ran over and yanked him out of there, he was covered in slime and oils. Grinning ear to ear, I swear he got high off it.

First driveway hosedown and regular pet shampoo bath did nothing. He still smells like death. Before I mix up some vinegar/water/baking soda solution I figured I'd ask if you guys have any tricks.
Vinegar and baking soda can cause quite a bubbly experience. Acidity from the vinegar. Sci 101

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Rotting organic material is a big old combo of a lot very sticky molecules.

You're going to need some reasonably strong detergents.....hand soap isn't going to cut it.

Start with a quality dish soap. Dawn is used on oily sealife for oil spills, so maybe start there.

Most pet soaps are like Baby Shampoo, and that stuff is super mild.

Reactions: stringcheese

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I can't remember the exact concoction, but I think it was dawn dish soap, baking soda, and hydrogen peroxide? We used to have a boxer that would roll in anything dead, and never met a skunk he didn't like.
That's what I've used for skunks. Lucky our dog isn't into dead seals - feel like we dodged a bullet. Recall covering the dog with baking soda, adding dawn dish soap, then putting hydrogen peroxide on to scrub it out. Also heard Coca Cola works instead of the hy-per, but wouldn't know.

That or as suggested earlier, you should really try peeing on him first.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

Hahaha, that SUCKS. Our dog is into dead seals. Or otters, or birds or whatever.

I don't know. Multiple washings with dishsoap is our usual MO. Good luck.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Seals? I laugh in your general direction!

My dog became a seal, shortly after discovering a half of a baby whale carcass that had been munched upon by either white sharks or orcas, based on the size of the bite marks. She dove right in, fully disappeared for a couple of minutes, then came out the opposite side she entered from so immersed in slime, guts, entrails and blood she was unrecognizable. :barf:I laughed. She was high as a kite, pupils fully dialated, and I did probably the absolutely stupidest thing one could, picked her up and tossed her into the ocean. Regretted it as soon as I did, thinking chit, I just turned my dog into an hor's derve!

She swam to shore got out and shook gunk everywhere.

Took a LOT of baths, and time, to completely get rid of the odour.

My Susi....

IMG_20200515_083003_903.jpg

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
My dog did the dead whale deep-dive once while I was out surfing. I lived about a mile from the beach in a small central coast town, so I just drove home super slow and made her run alongside my car all the way. Multile baths and she still stayed outside for a few days.

• Wow
Reactions: $kully

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't miss this part of being a dog owner.

My work has been getting hit by skunks this week. My room smelled awful. I think a kid got nailed by a one.

Then a different building was lit up.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
We have a long trail through a marsh/forest opposite our hood. It's inhabited by coyotes, otters, gators, bobcats and every creature that lurks in the Lowcountry. My dog invariably finds the nastiest carcasses and feces and whatever out there to roll around in. The worst was a huge, gelatinous fish carcass that something had dragged up on the bank and eaten half of. I swear it does make her high as a kite.

• Haha
Reactions: Subway and Boneroni