Dogs and Dead Seals

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
give him some poop to roll around in
I was fly fishing out at Benton's Crossing on the upper Owen's River a few years back and I heard my wife yell at our dog Cojo.
I went to see what the problem was.
For those that don't know the area, you have to cross a big cow pasture to get to the river.
Cojo had come across the biggest, wet, smelly cow pie imaginable and took a good roll in it.
He was absolutely covered in cow sh!t. :poop:
Needless to say, he went for an unexpected swim.

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
For reference, the Skunk potion is Baking Soda, Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide. And, it works better than tomato (and leads to a happier dog and owner), I've done both.

I once had to drive home from the beach in a small SUV with two dead seal stinkin' dogs, that was actually much worse than driving home with a skunked dog in the car.

Funny, last year my wife and I were posted up fishing on a local leash-free dog beach. There was a dead seal within site of where were were. The vast majority of dog owners were paying literally zero attention to their dogs, and we watched dog after dog go for the treat, often getting pretty deep before their horrified owners realized what was happening.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Decades ago, a certain 8 year old looking for shells along the Del Mar beach was observed walking back from the hunt with about a 3’ sand shark carcass slung over the shoulders. Watched beachgoers and kids run up to see the shark but turn away in horror. The stench was overpowering. Asked what the reason was for carrying that thing so far and with such a smell. Said the goal was to take it to Jake’s (beach restaurant) and sell it to them (for food!). Helped dig a hole in the sand near the water line and bury the carcass. Then, off to the showers (which didn’t help). Advised any recurrence involving a carcass would result in a ride home in the trunk. Reply? “RAD!!!”

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
New puppy found his first dead seal today went in like I've never seen before. Fully enveloped in the rotten body cavity with only four paws exposed, shooting to the sky, nestling deeper in the liquified putridness. By the time I ran over and yanked him out of there, he was covered in slime and oils. Grinning ear to ear, I swear he got high off it.

First driveway hosedown and regular pet shampoo bath did nothing. He still smells like death. Before I mix up some vinegar/water/baking soda solution I figured I'd ask if you guys have any tricks.
Roomate's dog in Santa Cruz did the same thing. You will have to deal with this for awhile

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
Lots of potential here, but fortunately a combination of high tide and a SE wind took this dead and nearly putrid dog attraction away before it got really bad.
Not a seal, but what the heck. LOL

DogsAndDeadSealion.JPG

Take care.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Does the dog want to make you happy by smelling like dead animal?
"Smell me! I'm a killer! I fvcked shlt up for you man!"
Or is it for other dogs?
"I smell like dead seal for a reason bltch! Don't mess with me/do mate with me!"
Wolves don't do it, domestic dogs do.:unsure:
"Bring them to the groomer" was the best answer to the problem. If you want to understand your dog as a person, though, we have to figure this out from a dog psychology perspective. Then next time, if you love your dog, maybe you'll be inclined to jump into the seal with them. You both have a good time, and the only one with a problem...is your wife.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
In my life I've had 3 Irish Setters, 2 Golden Retrievers, and 3 Labs. Every single one of them has absolutely loved rolling in dead animals and cow sh!t.