***The Official Dog Thread***

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
He was found at roughly a year old at a construction site. The crew brought it to the office and my mom took him home.

He was dope and, honestly, the most handsome Chow I've ever seen (no smooshed nose, probably not purebred, obviously).

We did a sh!t job at training him. He would sprint out of the house if the door was left open and wouldn't come back for days. He'd terrorize any other dogs he came across. He bit a few people. A friend's 7 year old that got too close to his food, a neighbor that got too far into the front yard, another neighbor that got too far into the yard. When he bit me when he was probably 6-7, my parents took him in to the pound. I was 12, my mom had a baby on the way, and they weren't trying to find out what might happen adding a newborn crawling and walking around to an aggressive dog that we never effectively trained and had already bitten several people.
I was about to say 'found mutt dogs' are the best, but then you ruined it with the rest. :cursing:

:p

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
a lot of poodle mixes don’t take on the non-shedding trait. The day we ended up with pickle we were actually going to meet another dog. Some sort of terrier poodle mix. He sat on my lap for ten minutes and I was covered in white fur. Then we met pickle who is supposedly a Maltese/Yorkie comboand we fell in love. He really doesn’t shed at all. Will leave the occasional hairball if he’s chewing on hot spots but we seem to have gotten those under control. No more eggs for pickle.
Tea tree oil on hot spots give the pooch some relief and, it usually curtails chewing on the hot spot In my experience with a life time of dogs in the home.

Reactions: $kully

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I was about to say 'found mutt dogs' are the best, but then you ruined it with the rest. :cursing:

:p
Yeah, I paid the $50 adoption fee for my second dog, but all my other dogs were "found"/ given away.

Looking back, it was our fault, not the dog. Sure he had some problematic behaviors, but we really failed at creating an environment to shape his behavior. We didn't make the yard safe so he wouldn't run out if he wasn't tied up, We didn't walk him regularly. We didn't commit to training. We basically treated him like a junk yard dog and he did a great job at playing the part.

My dog training has come a long way. My last dog was a lab/husky mix I was talked into taking from a back yard litter at 2 months) was fucking rad, but I let the ex take her (best decision ever on multiple levels). Learned my own boundaries so I could make hers, crate trained her (best call ever), worked with her off leash, all the stuff. I'm ready when I finally get another one.

Reactions: Mr Doof

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
2 schools of thought. rescues are great for yah sav-a-hoes cred and sometimes are great dogs too.

my brother got his dog from a breeder- labradoodle. sh!t ton of blow back from his rescue the dogs peers.

he was like fuck you all, if imma going to put in the years, i at least want an inkling of a chance at knowing pooch's temperament going in.

most people get dogs on impulse, but really youre picking out your best friend for the next 15 yrs.

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
2 schools of thought. rescues are great for yah sav-a-hoes cred and sometimes are great dogs too.

my brother got his dog from a breeder- labradoodle. sh!t ton of blow back from his rescue the dogs peers.

he was like fook you all, if imma going to put in the years in, i at least want an inkling of a chance at knowing pooch's temperament going in.

most people get dogs on impulse, but really youre picking out your best friend for the next 15 yrs.
Whats worse are the rescue agencies. They're almost entirely run by overzealous do-gooders who can make adopting a dog a frustrating and disheartening venture. Despite wanting to rescue, GF and I came very close to giving up and calling a breeder. If you rescue first and foremost try the local pound/kill shelter. They don't have the scrutiny that the more boutique rescues have. But...unless you're looking for a pit or a larger shedding dog you're probably sh!t out of luck. At least here in SoCal. We were in the market for a small non-shedding dog as we live in an apartment with no yard and I have allergies. We found that the only small dogs in the kill shelters were once with major medical problems that would cost you thousands out the door. I admire anyone willing to take that on, but not for us. So we ended up looking into some of these boutique rescues. Most are run by one or two crazy ladies with instagram feeds and they utilize meeting areas at Petsmart and other pet shops for weekend adoption fairs. They're doing a good thing but somewhere they got crazy and lost sight of the vision. They're no longer looking to place dogs in safe, stable, loving homes. They're looking to put dogs in the absolute best possible home. Which means pitting applicants against each other, insanely invasive scrutiny into your lives including home visits and really shitty questioning. It was bananas. Our applications were accepted for three dogs we were interested in for us to be "beaten out" by other applicants. We were always the "runner-ups". The second time I asked why and the lady said it was because we didn't have a yard and a doggie door. I live in coyote territory. My 13lb dog would be toast if he had free access to a backyard. In the end we found a more laid back agency who placed our dog with us in one visit. So despite all the bullshit I couldn't be happier with the way things ended up. I just wish I knew to expect such scrutiny and heartache in the process. I just thought you saw a dog you liked, signed a contract and made a donation and took the dog home. Not so.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Whats worse are the rescue agencies. They're almost entirely run by overzealous do-gooders who can make adopting a dog a frustrating and disheartening venture. Despite wanting to rescue, GF and I came very close to giving up and calling a breeder. If you rescue first and foremost try the local pound/kill shelter. They don't have the scrutiny that the more boutique rescues have. But...unless you're looking for a pit or a larger shedding dog you're probably sh!t out of luck. At least here in SoCal. We were in the market for a small non-shedding dog as we live in an apartment with no yard and I have allergies. We found that the only small dogs in the kill shelters were once with major medical problems that would cost you thousands out the door. I admire anyone willing to take that on, but not for us. So we ended up looking into some of these boutique rescues. Most are run by one or two crazy ladies with instagram feeds and they utilize meeting areas at Petsmart and other pet shops for weekend adoption fairs. They're doing a good thing but somewhere they got crazy and lost sight of the vision. They're no longer looking to place dogs in safe, stable, loving homes. They're looking to put dogs in the absolute best possible home. Which means pitting applicants against each other, insanely invasive scrutiny into your lives including home visits and really shitty questioning. It was bananas. Our applications were accepted for three dogs we were interested in for us to be "beaten out" by other applicants. We were always the "runner-ups". The second time I asked why and the lady said it was because we didn't have a yard and a doggie door. I live in coyote territory. My 13lb dog would be toast if he had free access to a backyard. In the end we found a more laid back agency who placed our dog with us in one visit. So despite all the bullshit I couldn't be happier with the way things ended up. I just wish I knew to expect such scrutiny and heartache in the process. I just thought you saw a dog you liked, signed a contract and made a donation and took the dog home. Not so.

always about the humans. expect a reputable breeder to vet out clients as well.

the contract for our (now 3yr old) ddr pup stipulated that if we were ever unable to care for the dog, he had to be returned to the breeder for re-homing. no giving away or dumping an 85lb stasi at the pound

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
IMG_0172.JPG

11 year old Japanese Spitz. Got him as a puppy. Amazing dog with kids. Fought Jamie Obriens dog on the beach at Pipe. Has two girlfriends. Almost had congestive heart failure last October, now on heart meds and been fine ever since. Grateful he survived that and grateful to have him during COVID. White hair everywhere. Raw dog food and table scraps. Chillest dog ever. Has the lateral movements of a young Barry Sanders.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Ask your kids what happens when they move out. My parents asked me, I asked my kids, you know what I’m talking about.

Our current line up youngest to oldest
ABC48EAA-EB35-40C1-967F-D12ED9B68A1D.jpeg
La Vitola. A little over a year. Part chihuahua, part unknown. She’s turned into an excellent cow dog. Grabs ‘em by the tail, Ole! Relentless little fuckwit.
C2C14277-BE60-4FDC-9562-C2DCD353450A.jpeg
La Cuchi. Close to two. Grandkids dog. This picture doesn’t do justice to how ugly the “piglet” is. Poor thing. Decent with the cows, good dog. Damaged, but good.
41DDFA66-4C82-4534-94F0-C0B834F86D93.jpeg
Rita la perrita. Grandkids dog. 2 1/2. Tiny. Fearless. Not especially fond of gringos.
82B331E9-0C29-4AEA-9A70-CE32EE728D79.jpeg
La Tombee (little girl in Zulu). 11 - 12. Her mother and father were sister and brother. Most likely goes beyond her parents, but we’re not gonna judge. Good cow dog, good watch dog. Moving towards fat and lazy.

They live on 2 1/2 acres plus outside the fence but know they’re not supposed to wander off under penalty of the missus reedumacating them.

We’ve been lucky not to have any close neighbors so like the Dylan song, “Dogs run free” but that’s coming to an end as people start building.

The little fucktards don’t know it but tonight when they eat mole con arroz they get a pill for ticks/heart worm/parasites, and whatever. Heart worm is a big problem here.

Who’s your daddy you little retards!

El mole
A971A560-28AE-4EE6-A713-5BF0C05C6F56.jpeg

Geopac

Billy Hamilton status
Jul 28, 2003
Ballast Point
My boy Duncan, Yorkie-poo. Picked him up from the San Diego airport when he was 5 weeks old not knowing what to expect. He's now 10 and has brought nothing but joy and unconditional love to my life... and many honeys, he's the ultimate chick magnet. The best decision I ever made!Dunks.jpgDD.jpgDuncan_3.jpgDuncan7.jpg

Last edited:

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
a lot of poodle mixes don’t take on the non-shedding trait. The day we ended up with pickle we were actually going to meet another dog. Some sort of terrier poodle mix. He sat on my lap for ten minutes and I was covered in white fur. Then we met pickle who is supposedly a Maltese/Yorkie comboand we fell in love. He really doesn’t shed at all. Will leave the occasional hairball if he’s chewing on hot spots but we seem to have gotten those under control. No more eggs for pickle.
We got lucky, not a single dog hair from our doodles. Gotta groom though. Mostly the misses and daughters hair everywhere instead.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
All dogs should be off leash trained
So true. And I pretty much completely failed with these two. Not for lack of trying either. VERY smart animals. And VERY obedient until they decide not to be and then all hell breaks loose. I have thoroughly enjoyed the experience of owning Huskies, but probably wouldn't do it again unless I move back out into the the Alaskan bush.

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
When I was a kid I had a timber wolf GS cross. Long story as to how I got him. Super smart. Cunning. He would listen to me off leash, but every now and then, he just had to go. Clear a six foot fence and be gone for 3 -4 days. He did that once in Pacific Beach only it was over a week. He'd always walk back in and lie down like it was no big deal. The dog drank like a fish, loved weed and parties in general. On one disappearance I got a call from a certain bar in south mission. They had pulled my phone number off his collar and called me. I told them I would be right over on my bike to get him. The guy told me to bring a car. "He's pretty drunk." Dog lived to 14 years old.

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
No thanks. A mtn lion just ate our neighbors cat before we got home from Colorado. They showed us the backyard cam footage of it walking past their slider. This was 5 min after their cat walked by. Hasn't been seen since.

Update: went against my better judgement and put a $150 deposit down. Booked flights. Could've bought a new titanium frame instead. Idiot.

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni