***The Official Dog Thread***

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
We have:
A 90-lb boxer mix, 9 yrs and a 22 lb poodle mix, 5 yrs.

The groms want a trail dog that fetches/swims. Gsp, weimaraner-type.

Pros:
-wife and I are both home and we have time to deal w a new pup;
-found relatively cheap gsp/weimy mix litter, all black, which is what we like.

Cons:
-we have 2 dogs already;
-the older dog is going to get beat up by the pup when she should be able to relax in her final years;
-dog is in south dakota, so we would have to fly out there (flights are stupidly cheap though);
-groms will be out of the house in college in 5-6 years.

We have 1/5 acre of land w a hill that groms are currently building a trail on.

Said pup:

Should or should not?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Look at that little guy in the picture. How can you say no to that face?

Had weims growing up. Incredible family dogs. Insanely good in the mountains and rivers.

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
I cant believe Im saying this but I wouldn't do it. We currently have two dogs, no kids, and are on a 1/4 acre. Theres already enough poop to pickup with the 2. I don't see the value in getting a 3rd dog but thats just my .02. Sounds like the groms have plenty to be stoked about.

Reactions: ghostshaper

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
We went with a labradoodle who is incredibly friendly and loyal loves the water and going after anything thrown (thanks to the lab) and is as smart as they come thanks to the poodle in her make-up. I think a new pup would really extend the time on earth of your older gal and, she may become that ‘mother’ substitute. If I had more room than our postage stamp size lot, I would go for a second pooch in a minute.

We took our doodle to the beach on our daily walks almost every day. She loves the ocean. On one of our RV journeys, I backed up to the Snake River in Idaho. Let the dog out who ran to the river bank and sat, looked at us just waiting for the OK. Told her to go for it and she jumped in like a kid on Christmas morning with lots of goods under the tree. The hilarious look on her face when she lapped a little water was priceless. She cocked her head to the side, looking at us, looked at the water and looked at us again probably thinking “where’s the salt?” Oh yeah, don’t throw tennis balls into the Snake River, the ball goes just a little faster than the dog’s paddle! Get the pup for crying out loud! John

Last edited:

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
I say you get it,
we have a 1/4 acre and 2 dogs, three wouldn't be too big of a stretch, my youngest keeps asking to get a little dog, I am saying no to that until she picks up the dog poop for a year straight. puppies are so fun, and such a pain in the ass, but like someone said way easier to train when you have a protege to show them the ropes, we only get a puppy to add to the family at the start of the summer because i don't work in the summer and I can get up with the pup through the nights when we crate train them, we have had 4 dogs at this house over the years usually 2 at once, but the old pound pup boxer/pit mutt pictured below was an all star, i really thought i was the dog whisperer the way i trained this dog to do anything so quickly, she was smart, fierce, and a true member of the family, we often tell our current dogs your pretty good but you are no kirra. lol i think they understood because the dug a big hole right in the middle of the front yard after I told them that one time.

kirra used to sit on my old 79 coupe deville and nap.
kirra caddy.jpg..

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I found it funny how picking up poop is a big factor for so many. After 2 kids, dog poop is nothing. Our dogs don't get human food. The groms are on poop patrol, anyway.

Found airfare for $250 for 4 (kids under 15 fly free on frontier).

Pretty one sided consensus so far. Lot of dog people here. This will be our 8th dog my wife and I have had together, if we decide to go through.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Some advice from the Pointer camp.

We have a Hungarian Vizsla, and everybody gasps and frets about the supposed hard work keeping them sane and fit. That is only an issue if you don't know how to train a dog, or can't be bothered. Super fun to train, and to run with, play with, chill out with etc etc.

Ours is 10 years old now, and he still bounces up and down like a pogo stick when you say "Walkies!" He looks like a 4yo, apart from the greying muzzle. We love him to bits, and can wholeheartedly recommend the breed. Very loving with children, too, and with smaller dogs.

I suspect GSPs and Weimaraners are very similar.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I found it funny how picking up poop is a big factor for so many. After 2 kids, dog poop is nothing. Our dogs don't get human food. The groms are on poop patrol, anyway.

Found airfare for $250 for 4 (kids under 15 fly free on frontier).

Pretty one sided consensus so far. Lot of dog people here. This will be our 8th dog my wife and I have had together, if we decide to go through.
I love hunting dogs!

For me the first choice is a Brittany Spaniel. I had a really good Black Lab growing up and trained him at Coto De Caza hunt club and that was a fun experience.

Another good hunting dog is Springer Spaniel. Also a good dog.

All I'm saying is that hunting dogs need to run and let their natural instincts have access to open space to do so. They need to run and they want to hunt but they are still good pets even if you can't provide that.

Now I just have cats that kill everything but I don't have to pick up poop so that just works for me better.

My cat just killed another monarch butterfly as I was typing. LOL. Little sh!t!

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
you guys might remember 6 years ago my dog Ruby got out and was lost in the canyons and streets of our town for 11 days until she was found, wish i had a gopro on her when she was playing frogger on the streets and outrunning the coyotes.... da mutts kirra and lucy pup.jpg

the only 11 days of living here without a dog..

6 years later Ruby at the beach...

ruby at the beach.jpg