Does this technically count as a drop in?

Topazslider

OTF status
Jan 9, 2018
This morning at a local beach break I was paddling for a wave then a guy a little more deeper spun around and started paddling too. I was on a groveler so I was up on the green part of the wave but this guy still kept going and popped up in the white water after the peak broke and was trying to pump to catch up with me. The shoulder swamped so I kicked out.
Did I drop in although he was closest to the peak and I was already riding by the time he was on his feet trying to work his way out of the white water? He was about 5 feet behind/next to me.
Anyway, it didn't look like he was going to make it so I went, rather than waste another wave on a lully morning sesh.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
Topeslide said:
Anyway, it didn't look like he was going to make it so I went, rather than waste another wave on a lully morning sesh.
If you've seen the guy blow waves previous to this, then no. If the guy is catching/riding waves and you still went then yes. Judgement call.

IMO, If you kick out asap.....I'd still have no beef. If you make me call you off the wave....problem.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
obslop said:
easiest way to deal with that is to ask, "you want this one?" polite and avoids unnecessary conflict.
This. Also, forces them to commit, and then if they miss it or don't go, you both know they blew it and next time....uh, no. :shameonyou:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
If they spin after you are committed and paddling - its a tough call
if it is at a spot I surf a lot - I go every time

If a neutral spot - very tough call probably let him have it once - does it again then I'd go

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Truth said:
If they spin after you are committed and paddling - its a tough call
if it is at a spot I surf a lot - I go every time
My son did this to me last Sunday.

I roasted him. :smile2:

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
More art than science. Was the guy already inside of you, or did he paddle that way once you both saw the wave in order to be deeper? I do that all the time, and I never expect anyone to back off. IOW, it's sort of a dick move, so you can't really expect anyone to fully give way.

OTOH, if he was already over there, or even deeper looking for waves going the other way, saw the peak and decided to go your direction, then it's pretty much his.

What makes this all a judgment call is a number of factors, the prime being is it your regular spot and/or was the guy behind you a regular? If no to both, then it's really open. If you're the local and you've never seen the guy, then go. OTOH, you're the visitor and he looks like a local? Better cool your jets first until you suss out the situation.

And as others have said, if it's a place known for peaks breaking both ways, get used to talking &, asking which way the dude wants to go. Most of the time when I paddle behind someone is because they've indicated/called their direction. Great, I just go the other way.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Was he doing a late takeoff where the wave was half broken down the face of the wave? Or did the wave actually fully break and he took off in the whitewater?

If it was the first one, then yes, you dropped in on him.

If it was the second one, then fvck him. That's bullshit.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Surf beachbreak 99.9% time and first question ya might ask your self (see this all the time) were you looking for a shoulder before you even did a cut back or before you even stood up. Peak has priority no matter what then if left/right decide which way among peerz :wave2:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
jkb said:
Was he doing a late takeoff where the wave was half broken down the face of the wave? Or did the wave actually fully break and he took off in the whitewater?

If it was the first one, then yes, you dropped in on him.

If it was the second one, then fvck him. That's bullshit.
This is where I’m at. If it’s full on whitewater, are you even on the wave in the first place :confused2: I was in a similar situation where a guy did the same thing (popping up in whitewater) just so he could ride inside me and try to call me off :roflmao: :trout:

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
He snaked you, which is uncool.

From amateur contest perspective, I believe that if the wave is a predominant left or right and you guys were going in the predominant direction, if you get up and do one maneuver (a turn), before he gets up to his feet, then the wave is yours.

As mentioned by others unwritten rules and etiquette are judgment calls.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
If I'm sitting deeper, I have the right of way. But there must be common sense to make sure everyone in the lineup is having fun.

If you are sitting 6 feet outside of me and thus start paddling 1 second before me, and I am deeper than you, that's a burn.

A low tier pro burned me in this way a few weeks ago, when he paddled back out I asked him "What was that about?"

He had a manufactured answer. "Bro, I was paddling first. If you want to ride behind me that's your business."

I casually explained to him first paddling is not the way it works, and that he is a fvcking kook. He did not respond to my toxic masculinty; I then noticed a Gillette sticker on his board.

Further:

If someone is riding a much higher volume board or is some insane paddler that started paddling 20 feet outside of you that's different, and I will yield. BUT it is their responsibility to not be a wave hog.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
How about who's in line for the next wave?

Being on the inside is no guarantee that it's your wave. If you don't play nice and take your turn, you're going to get burnt.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Maz said:
How about who's in line for the next wave?

Being on the inside is no guarantee that it's your wave. If you don't play nice and take your turn, you're going to get burnt.
Of course, this goes without saying.

I was envisioning a shifting crowded beachbreak where forming a line is kinda impossible.

jbd

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2002
JAX BCH FLA.
jaxbeachgallery.blogspot.com
rice said:
obslop said:
easiest way to deal with that is to ask, "you want this one?" polite and avoids unnecessary conflict.
This. Also, forces them to commit, and then if they miss it or don't go, you both know they blew it and next time....uh, no. :shameonyou:
I try to use this as much as possible. True, forces them to commit and they know you are watching now. If they blow it they usually paddle away in shame.