Dock Starts

Apr 4, 2020
On the 7/26/20 Progression Project Podcast, Dylan Wichmann recommended doing dock starts to improve pumping and to learn how to do breach turns.

So I was recently in the Perris Lake area, and I stopped off at the boat launch to practice my dock starts. I was using the Takuma 1300 LOL with stock tail for my dock start attempts. I improved to where I'm at least landing properly on the board, but then the foil sinks before I can get pumping.

Right when I felt like I was about to get the timing right for the first pump, the damn Park Ranger tells me stop jumping off the dock. I replied that I'm NOT diving off the dock (which is strictly prohibited). The Park Ranger then says that it's after 4:30PM and even kayaks are not allowed to launch after 4;30. I complied and left.

So is there a dock in the So Cal area that would be good for doing dock starts?

I live in Oceanside but the harbor bans hydrofoils. Maybe when I can actually do a dock start, I'll try a rock start off the Oside jetty :)

Reactions: grendel95

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I know some guys have been learning to wing up at Lake Castaic and one of them did a dock start there, but they waited for the harbor patrol boat to be gone before trying.

I know guys in Marina Del Rey have done them too. I think it's more about just finding a nice dock owner and waiting for no harbor patrol around.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Just for fun....here's some friends who decided to try some dock starts locally this weekend. One is a first timer, sup foils, wing foils, but never surf foiled. Other guy has done 1000s of waterstarts off a step ladder. See if you can tell who's who.

Reactions: JonnieTyler
Apr 4, 2020
not sure if the public dock is still closed. I'll check tomorrow when I drop off the grom for sailing.
Ghostshaper and I toyed with the idea of trying dock starts at the Dana Point pier near baby beach/ocean institute.
I never even heard of Baby Beach until now. The next time I'm in that area, I'll have to try some dock starts from the SUP rental dock (after closing time) if there is no public access dock.

Reactions: ghostshaper

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I never even heard of Baby Beach until now. The next time I'm in that area, I'll have to try some dock starts from the SUP rental dock (after closing time) if there is no public access dock.
The public dock is on the other side of the beach. I'll let you know and maybe join you.

Reactions: JonnieTyler

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Sounds good. I'll check out Baby Beach on Saturday or Sunday after surfing at Trestles.
the public dock was open yesterday evening. one guy fishing off it. you can park in the lot before the ocean institute, and you'll be right in front of it.

I'll be dropping off the grom around 1:00 on Sunday. If you're going Sunday, I might give it a go.

Reactions: grendel95
Apr 4, 2020
the public dock was open yesterday evening. one guy fishing off it. you can park in the lot before the ocean institute, and you'll be right in front of it.

I'll be dropping off the grom around 1:00 on Sunday. If you're going Sunday, I might give it a go.
Thanks for the info. I'll post in the thread if I go on Sunday. Hopefully nobody will be fishing off the dock. I'm sure they will get mighty pissed if we start jumping off the dock while they are trying to fish.

My backup plan if somebody is fishing off the public dock will be the SUP rental dock or attempting beach starts.

Apr 4, 2020
Last Saturday afternoon, I checked out Baby Beach in Dana Point.
• Tried beach starts, I couldn't get enough speed/lift to get on the board. It does look like a good setup for beach starts for somebody younger/more athletic than me.
• People were fishing on the pier next to the public dock so I tried the out of service dock that was nearby. There was no dock ladder. I tried 1 dock start. Too much effort to get back on the dock for multiple attempts.
• I then went to the SUP rental dock. Good session for 1.5 hours. I improved a lot. I mostly got rid of the nose dives. However, I was still stalling. I need more initial speed or a quicker initial pump. On a few, I got a decent glide, but lost balance and fell off before getting a good pump.
• Right when I was about to leave, some bitch complained that the dock was closed. She then complained to a nearby cop. Cop gave me a warning and said I could be cited for trespassing.
• The public dock next to the fishing pier could an option, but it needs a dock ladder or some floating platform (longboard/rescue sled) to help climb back onto the dock.

The next time I want to try dock starts, I'll go back to Oceanside Harbor and keep my sessions short to stay under the radar. I feel like on old-school skater trying to poach sessions in empty neighborhood pools.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
• The public dock next to the fishing pier could an option, but it needs a dock ladder or some floating platform (longboard/rescue sled) to help climb back onto the dock.
Could maybe find one of those cheap portable ladder that is used to add to boats with high gunnels. Or could even just attach a short step ladder with winching roof rack straps.