Let's take a little walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDaQ_UMV1zw

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDaQ_UMV1zw[/video]

:drunk:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
We go to Little Tokyo about twice a month to eat Japanese food. It's amazing what happens in the space of a couple blocks. The homeless are there because the services are there. I used to be part of a group that would feed homeless people, but we would go and find other pockets away from the skid row/mission area. Homeless folks with kids obviously avoid that area and those are the ones we would seek out. Once while giving out food some LAPD officers told us not to. "They are like dogs and if you keep bringing food they will keep coming." The large presence in skid row kind of confirms that.

If I recall correctly the homeless population boomed when Reagan cut subsidies for the mentally ill. I don't remember it being as big a problem before. After that it never went away. When you walk around that area you can sense that a lot of them are mentally ill. I always wondered, "Are the homeless because they are mentally ill? Or are they mentally ill because they are homeless?"

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
patrolman said:
If I recall correctly the homeless population boomed when Reagan cut subsidies for the mentally ill. I don't remember it being as big a problem before. After that it never went away. When you walk around that area you can sense that a lot of them are mentally ill. I always wondered, "Are the homeless because they are mentally ill? Or are they mentally ill because they are homeless?"
Two questions, short answer to both: Yes.

Two questions, longer answer: Yes, but you have to add other factors likes drug use, drug addiction, drug induced psychosis, poor education, poor decision making, unlucky event(s) pushing someone over (like a lost job and no savings/family to fall back on, etc), crime related effects, sex trade, blah blah blah.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
At this point the working poor are literally getting priced out of their apartments. Most people are spending much larger percentages of their income on housing than they were even 10 years ago. Not just in LA proper, but everywhere in the region.

Typical rents for 1bd apartments in So Central Los Angeles in 2005 were in the $500-$600 range for the older units. As of this morning in Craigslist, the lowest priced 1bd is listed for $1100, and there's only the one listing at that price. The majority of 1bd units start at $1275/mo and go from there. So rents have easily doubled in the least desirable part of town. There's nothing we can do with incomes that would keep pace.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Build Thee Wall, All around California!
it'll help keep them migrants out from thee other contiguous 47 states who might be comin' here to the 5th largest economy(*) in the world from entering, people who might have wanted to get a better job, improve their lives, surf even, but probably found it too darn expensive to get a pad, car, insurance, furniture, so they now are slummin' it. We don't want~cha, right?

Los Angeles is what,
the 2nd biggest city in the country? Is it only L.A.{?} who has this street~urchin problem,
where heck, thee trolls also smoke marijuana as they try to survive livin' on the streets?
Bet those pep's also drink a cold~ie or 2 also, might probably explain that smell of urine
the dude in your vid sniffed, or is it just a lack of public toilets, err porta~potties for them poor pep's?
Hmmmm. :hah:

(*) ~ 5th Largest
https://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article210466514.html

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
All the action is in the margins. Adding even 5% more housing units would have a big impact on rents so long as they were replacing like for like. Or, reducing demand. Deport some jobs and you deport their workers, too. If the illegals left there would be plenty of housing in LA. Same with any other population group that comprises 6% of the population.

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
GDaddy said:
If the illegals left there would be plenty of housing in LA. Same with any other population group that comprises 6% of the population.
^^^ Question:
How do you know that those people sleepin' on the streets of down~town L.A.
in tents or kickin' it out~side on their curb in that linked vid
are illegal immigrants?

Old L.A. history:

+ from further south:

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I didn't say that. At all. What I'm saying is that if you reduced the population by 5% that would be of effect on rents. And schools. And services. And other vital resources.

I was doing some work for a non-profit in So Central last year and the director told me that the homeless population in that area had increased by over 20% in the previous year. That doesn't imply to me an increase in crazy people.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
If they're 6% of the population in this state it's probably more in the urban areas. They're all living somewhere.

With respect to redevelopment trends one disconnect I see is that when a property that is improved with (let's say) a 4-plex of 1bd units gets redeveloped, it doesn't get replaced with 1bd units. It gets replaced with much larger 2bd and 3bd units. We end up with a an ongoing *reduction* of the number of entry level units when what we probably need more of are the really small studios and 1bd units.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I would say that African Americans are over represented in the skid row area. And yes a lot of substance abuse.

What's new in LA with the housing crisis are all the old RVs parked everywhere. I guess the choice between living in an old RV or van and living on the streets is a no brainer. LA just passed an ordinance and I think the RVs are relegated to industrial areas. I was in Gardena the other day to pick up a blank from US blanks and the streets were lined with RVs. On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too. All throughout Venice. Those are just areas I've travelled through recently. I'm sure it's widespread.

I've heard it is a phenomenon also in the PNW...

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
patrolman said:
<snip>
On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too.
<snip>
I look for breachin' sharks around that area, :shark:
and can tell ya that Rusty + his LAPD boyz do a great job keepin' the rv's outta Thee Palisades,
what you are writin' of is up near Mastro's Ocean Club right before a surfer reachs Topanga. For some reason the Malibu sheriffs do not crack down on those poor pep's livin' 24/7 below the folks who own homes up above in Sunset Mesa. Gotta put 'em some~where, right?

See ya'all,
a bro from OB, down south,
named $ is in town today, gonna try to surf some small L.A. storm slop,
might take a pic or 2 of him. Have a good one...
:wave2:

PSS ~ 'Twas kinda fun here in L.A. with only 2 other pep's in the water a lil' while ago:

+

:jam_on:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
patrolman said:
I would say that African Americans are over represented in the skid row area. And yes a lot of substance abuse.

What's new in LA with the housing crisis are all the old RVs parked everywhere. I guess the choice between living in an old RV or van and living on the streets is a no brainer. LA just passed an ordinance and I think the RVs are relegated to industrial areas. I was in Gardena the other day to pick up a blank from US blanks and the streets were lined with RVs. On PCH near Sunset Blvd there was an area with lots of them too. All throughout Venice. Those are just areas I've travelled through recently. I'm sure it's widespread.

I've heard it is a phenomenon also in the PNW...
RV living on the streets is a nationwide thing.

studog

Duke status
Jan 15, 2003
CA
GDaddy said:
If they're 6% of the population in this state it's probably more in the urban areas. They're all living somewhere.

With respect to redevelopment trends one disconnect I see is that when a property that is improved with (let's say) a 4-plex of 1bd units gets redeveloped, it doesn't get replaced with 1bd units. It gets replaced with much larger 2bd and 3bd units. We end up with a an ongoing *reduction* of the number of entry level units when what we probably need more of are the really small studios and 1bd units.
or update the requirement that 10-20% of new buildings have to have affordable units. that ends up being about 1 unit in new building that's renting 2 bedrooms for $4K/month. The take away I got from KCRW's pretty extensive month long reporting this summer on housing is rents are going up like crazy mostly due to the tech industry coming to LA (Amazon, Google, SnapChat, etc) with higher paying salaries pushing out middle income renters & families from the urban core. combined with an overall low supply. now those lower income people are pushed way out to suburbs & beyond having to commute 2hrs nearly one way each day.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I'm finding more and more in the encampments I ride through that I'm seeing lots of upper middle aged men and women (late 50's to early 70's) who look less like your typical addict or unmedicated psych patient and more like people who are down on their luck and were living paycheck to paycheck and fell out of the job market without a safety net. Sad times. Lots of things are contributing to this problem. It's a shame that people on both sides of the political spectrum don't seem particularly interested in addressing this is issue beyond pointing fingers.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
As I say, the thing that concerns me is that most projects are replacing smaller units with much larger units. Which, that's a no-brainer for a developer.

Seeing as how they now want to increase densities in the residential neighborhoods that might be an opportunity to *limit* the accessory dwelling units in these single family neighborhoods to more basic housing and smaller units that will have less impact on their neighborhoods and services. Spread the 1-2 person households around more instead of concentrating them in the oldest neighborhoods.

That way we could replace more of the studio and 1bd units in these areas without interfering with the other redevelopment trends that are driven by the market. A compromise of sorts.

Region-wide, we need way more of the entry level units than we need of the "luxury" units.

I'd like to see the City develop some stock plans for these ADUs and maybe cut their approval and development fees as a means of encouraging their development. There's nothing wrong with an apartment over garage setup and then add another parking space or two to the side between the main structure and the garage on parcels that have those dimensions.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
GDaddy said:
I didn't say that. At all. What I'm saying is that if you reduced the population by 5% that would be of effect on rents. And schools. And services. And other vital resources.

I was doing some work for a non-profit in So Central last year and the director told me that the homeless population in that area had increased by over 20% in the previous year. That doesn't imply to me an increase in crazy people.
Being homeless makes you crazy.

(Compromises decision making)

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
GDaddy said:
<snip>
There's nothing wrong with an apartment over garage setup and then add another parking space or two to the side between the main structure and the garage on parcels that have those dimensions.
^^^ This!
I've always felt this too,
there was nothin' wrong with havin' a converted garage/apartment above it for a Family member to continue to live on your property, but it always seemed that local L.A. cities didn't like it. Same in your neck ot thee woods? See ya. :)

PS ~ Apology's as I miss~construed your earlier post...
:wave2: