Do you have a SHTF board?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Jeez. The sky is falling.
I thought this stuff was kept to the General Discussion Forum, where it seems like opinions can only be extreme- one side or the other. No middle ground.
Back to the bunker! :shaka:

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
I think what you're asking is do we have a magic board that is in 9/10 condition we are saving to ride? I have 16 boards, all in excellent shape. All but a few are custom. If I could never get another board I would be fine but I do have one. It's a 5'10" thinned out SpeedDialer Pavel handshaped for me. I was in the shaping room with him. I have other quad fish but this one I knew I wanted to put away after the one and only session I had on it. I feel like it would help me rip as an old guy. That's my thinking.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
My 5'8" moonlight glassed VS Shadow has been on ice for about 4 years. Weird, I know.

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
5’8 Wynn quad fish...classic outline w/ slightly more pinched rails vs a full retro shape...goes in pretty much everything I’m going to paddle out in

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Not a FireWire. From Bert Burger who came up with the parabolic rail tech used by FireWire though.
Sunova 8ball.
8' x 15&3/8" x 21&5/8" x 14&3/16" x 2&11/16" @51l.
Balsa panels over eps.
ad_3_1585706770958.jpgad_0_1585706770950.jpg
I fit into the older part in the video description. Very refined foil. Look at the rail at 1.50min mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: One-Off

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
With the economy set to completely collapse in a way we've never seen except in maybe places like Zimbabwe, I'm curious who here has a board you might never ride but you've been keeping for when surfboards stop being produced?

Mine is a 5'10 CI Rob Machado single fin.
Don't worry Casa, production of surfboard materials and the finished product hasn't stopped in Australia, we will be able to export you some. Despite a tardy start to the lockdown the virus has been controlled and our state and federal leaders waking up to how contagious the virus is, so I am confident production will continue here.

Even if we were to recruit the devil's advocate and point out that some of the Australian public are badly behaved e.g the crowded beach scenes of Bondi, then you will still be able to get tufflites from Thailand. They were recognised early into the pandemic as an at risk country and taken effective action.

http://instagr.am/p/B_UQItBHssO/

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Apologies for previous post, I was unable to take your question seriously although I am taking the coronavirus threat very seriously.My serious answer to your question is that it is not the end of US surfboard production, no economic collapse lasts forever and I don't believe there is going to be an economic collapse which matches the great depression.

The GFC has done us us a favour to prepare for this crisis - some banks and lending practises were rotten to the core and the rot has been removed. Our governments have also come a long way since the great depression and are more willing to prime the pumps in times of strife. Even those of us who keep our jobs will pay for this for sure - less retirement fund than if the crisis had never happened, higher taxes to pay back all the money our governments threw at the situation, reduced standard of living through inflation perhaps, but thats not the end of the world and surfboard production.

I have promised myself that if I come out the other side with my job intact I will buy a local (Regional Vic) custom surfboard even though my two pu/pe Chilli boards look like they last a while. I'm sure there are others with a similar idea.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
If the poop hits the fan there will be no surfing
Beach closures made me decide to upgrade all my parts on my bike instead of build new boards .
I ride 9 miles everyday its not raining and many times twice , even when the trail was closed
Surfboards will be worthless if surfing is not allowed - dats da way it works -

Reactions: Mr J

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If the poop hits the fan there will be no surfing
Beach closures made me decide to upgrade all my parts on my bike instead of build new boards .
I ride 9 miles everyday its not raining and many times twice , even when the trail was closed
Surfboards will be worthless if surfing is not allowed - dats da way it works -
Night surfing remote spots.