Do You hate Jewish People???

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Then you know absolutely no poor people.

The entry level workers I know don't have new iPhones, cars, new clothes, etc. They rent a bed, in a shared room, and eat poorly. Ride a bike, or beg a ride to work.
Do you pay them $15/hour?

$17/hour?

Shouldn't you try and change their lives by raising their wages? You have the ability to, you're an employer

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
AFAICT the majority of the increase in the minimum wage over the last 5 years has gone directly into rents, which has had the disparate impact on the people who were working when compared to the people who don't. When you enable everyone on the low side to pay more in rents then thats how the competition for apartments gets waged.

Especially in the rent control areas. The further apart the market rents get from the rent controlled rents the more it makes it feasible to reset those rents with an eviction-for-refurbish. I think the increases in the minimum wage is one of the driving factors in the increase of homelessness among the working poor.

And because I know how the argument is going to go, I'll just ask you to use a little common sense. How do most renters choose their units? Regardless of their income bracket, most people figure out how much the have left over after they meet all their other living expenses - that will be their ceiling for how much they can spend on their housing. For many people, their housing budget is the residual of what's left over after food, clothing and transportation needs are met. For people who are doing better they add other stuff like their phones and entertainment and the better car and so forth.

The people who get ahead by hard work only get ahead because of the premium they earn which is in excess of what everyone else beneath them gets. It's not the number itself that counts; the number is just an expression of the currency. it's the leverage of the *additional purchasing power* that counts, and you wipe that out when everyone gets the same number.

The poor aren't poor because the number is currently 12. The poor are poor because they make a fraction of what everyone else makes, whether than fraction is a .90 or a .09.

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Do you pay them $15/hour?

$17/hour?

Shouldn't you try and change their lives by raising their wages? You have the ability to, you're an employer
I pay my lowest entry laborer $24. You aren't going to be able to shame me.

Now if you would honestly reply to what I'm telling you from first hand experience, you might learn something.

Reactions: mundus

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Then you know absolutely no poor people.

The entry level workers I know don't have new iPhones, cars, new clothes, etc. They rent a bed, in a shared room, and eat poorly. Ride a bike, or beg a ride to work.
If he knew any poor people he still wouldn't give a sh!t.

Because if he overcame the extreme adversity of growing up in Norilsk Vallejo, anybody can.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I pay my lowest entry laborer $24. You aren't going to be able to shame me.

Now if you would honestly reply to what I'm telling you from first hand experience, you might learn something.
And they're still unable to buy a car or not share a room?

Pay up you greedy bastard

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Says the same person who said $1200 won't do anything for families

Which is it?
Hmmm

I’m not entirely sure what you and lil cakita are fecalizing over but I believe maybe it was over virtue signaling following the tax cuts.

Families don’t need a one time payment of your example of $1200, they need wage increases. My implication was that it is a shallow and short sighted solution you and the groupies were getting so excited about. A $2 /hr increase in wage is worth a hell of a lot more; and is what most families need more than a one time feel good virtue signal to get the groupies excited.

that being said, $1200 is significant to the vast majority of families. But in comparison to a wage increase? That’s about $0.60/hr increase.

Last edited: