Do surfers hearts develop differently?

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Swimmers do and surfers exert themselves similarly. The key issue is muscle development with respect to blood pumping laterally (swimmer/surfer)
and blood pumping vertically (runner/basketball etc.). Seems gravity counts.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
acnjusa said:
Swimmers do and surfers exert themselves similarly. The key issue is muscle development with respect to blood pumping laterally (swimmer/surfer)

please cite your source.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
mine did
I was told last week after my angiogram that my right artery is abnormally strong/big and unusually feeding into the left side of the heart to compensate for a clogged left that needs a litle rotorooter angioplasty cleaning this coming friday

because of where my clog is (At the split of the left major artery and in the major just after the split) they normally would have preferred a cabbage (coronary bypass) but since the right has seemed to grow/adjust to take some of the load from the left, stenting at the joint should be fine

the doctor felt it was nature's way of compensating for a defect i have apparently had for sometime

The right is usually for the lungs and left artery the main body gas line so maybe surf paddling created some requirements for this natural adjustment that may have occurred otherwise but its a guess. Unfortunately its unforeseen blockage of the left that kills most (widowmaker artery)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
oneula said:
mine did
I was told last week after my angiogram that my right artery is abnormally strong/big and unusually feeding into the left side of the heart to compensate for a clogged left that needs a litle rotorooter angioplasty cleaning this coming friday

because of where my clog is (At the split of the left major artery and in the major just after the split) they normally would have preferred a cabbage (coronary bypass) but since the right has seemed to grow/adjust to take some of the load from the left, stenting at the joint should be fine

the doctor felt it was nature's way of compensating for a defect i have apparently had for sometime

The right is usually for the lungs and left artery the main body gas line so maybe surf paddling created some requirements for this natural adjustment that may have occurred otherwise but its a guess. Unfortunately its unforeseen blockage of the left that kills most (widowmaker artery)
My Cardiologist can't explain why my myocardial bridge's symptoms (chest tightness) manifest at the onset of exercise and then go away. He hypothesizes that the other arteries take up the slack, kind of like you are describing.

Hope your procedure went well.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
VaB said:
acnjusa said:

please cite your source.
Science Times in NYTimes.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
oneula said:
mine did
That was last Friday.

How you doing, oneula?

surfflexx

Nep status
Jan 28, 2004
usa
Visit site
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/03/well/move/heart-health-swimming-running-exercise.html?keplerid=249784550&dclid=CLKr1pqJoOMCFUzzyAodVG0Crw

In theory, those differences should allow blood to move from and back to the runners’ hearts more rapidly than would happen inside the swimmers’.

But these differences do not necessarily show that the runners’ hearts worked better than the swimmers’, says Jamie Burr, a professor at the University of Guelph and director of its human performance lab, who conducted the new study with the lead author, Katharine Currie, and others.

Since swimmers exercise in a horizontal position, he says, their hearts do not have to fight gravity to get blood back to the heart, unlike in upright runners. Posture does some of the work for swimmers, and so their hearts reshape themselves only as much as needed for the demands of their sport.

The findings underscore how exquisitely sensitive our bodies are to different types of exercise, Dr. Burr says.

They also might provide a reason for swimmers sometimes to consider logging miles on the road, he says, to intensify the remodeling of their hearts.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I wouldn't say they develop differently, but there are observed differences in an athletes heart than that of a non athlete. Degrees of left ventricular hypertrophy are common in athletes and can differ slightly in athletes of different sports, like a runners heart vs a powerlifters. Left ventricular hypertrophy also occurs in people with hypertension but this is easily distinguished with other easy and available testing methods.

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Correct VonMeister. Develop is the wrong terminology. Response to repeated exercise would lead to better conditioning and vascular supply supposing there aren't genetic or lifestyle driven risks to a normal physiologic challenge.