DIY Morocco

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I did.

Just rented a place in Taghazout and would either walk or ride a rented scooter to different breaks. Totally do-able if you don't want to go too far and don't mind surfing the more well known spots. Driving yourself can be pretty intense at times with all the crazy drivers.

If you want to visit some of the spots off the radar, go with a company that can drive you around.

Either way, you'll have a blast.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I suspected the driving would be a little intense. What are the difficulties with going outside of the main waves? Crowds manageable at main waves?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Just knowing where to go at what tide and so on. Obviously the "surf camps" have all the spots wired and could probably get you into some pretty fantastic waves with minimal crowds. It will require a bit of driving (on their part) if your home base is Taghazout. It could also require some 4wd access only depending on the spot.

Anchor Point gets very busy and is very competitive with some really talented local surfers......not to mention all the traveling Europeans. Other spots nearby can get busy as well, but usually less so. Those other spots are a bit more fickle however and can require certain tides, swell directions, and swell sizes to work properly.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Good luck man!

Morocco is an awesome place to visit.

The food is incredible and it's cheap.

The people are very friendly. Just prepare yourself for the street vendors hassling you around town to buy whatever they're selling. They can be relentless.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Rent a SUV and go. Drive like you would in any other turd world country - caution, patience, alertness, moderate assertiveness, instinct.

Also, despite what FecalFace tells you, Google Maps are sometimes WRONG in some areas in Moroc, moreso urbanized areas, so keep that in mind and know it never hurts to have a backup paper atlas.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I hated morocco.

Worst surf trip ever.

I almost got into two fights.

And. haven't gotten into a fight 35 years.

It made me HATE HATE HATE the muslin relgion.

I used to say live and let live

And yes there are cool morrocans, I know.

I met a couple but for the most part I found them awful.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Damn prax. Were the waves good at least?

Ive visited Muslim countries and haven’t had any bad experiences. The aggressiveness of the vendors alone could for sure irk some though.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It was CROWDED! I think if you got off the beaten track it could be good.

I know lots of people who had a great time there. I didn't.

I love lots of other places. Vietnam, South America, South Pacific.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Moroccan surfers can be huge assholes. Same thing with the visiting Euros. And the half-French, half-Moroccan part-time expats. But the waves are well worth it and it's pretty easy to find consistent surf without too much hassle. Just go. If you stay in Tagh you can rent a car at the cafe above Panoramas.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
tell us about the fights
Just young men looking for trouble. I think they were trying to bait me into fighting so they could use it to get me to give them money.

The hassle level was so high.

Maybe because I was traveling alone.

By the end the trip I was vibing them so hard that when they engaged, they back down because they could see I was done.

I heard a story about someone just getting off the plane and getting robbed at knife point and hour later.

At the end of the trip, if that happened to me, I would have said, "come at me bro. I don't care if you kill me with your knife."

I've traveled the world and Morocco is at the top of my all time sh!t-list.

No girls, no alcohol, Isreal surfers.

Maybe they smelled the 25% jew in me?

My parents had just died horrifically too so maybe they smelled the trauma me.

Having your parents die is the worst!

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I went a few years ago and had a great time. Went with a friend, we rented a car, got an AirBnB just outside of town for the first few nights, then winged it the rest of the trip. Just happen to meet some local folk who gave us the details on some spots north. Ended up roadtripping up to Safi and hit some waves in between. Finished up in Marrakesh and went to the souks, even did a day trip to the Atlas mountains. Good times.

Reactions: PPK96754

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I went a few years ago and had a great time. Went with a friend, we rented a car, got an AirBnB just outside of town for the first few nights, then winged it the rest of the trip. Just happen to meet some local folk who gave us the details on some spots north. Ended up roadtripping up to Safi and hit some waves in between. Finished up in Marrakesh and went to the souks, even did a day trip to the Atlas mountains. Good times.
This sounds pretty awesome. What were your feelings on doing it solo?

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Solo is fine. Biggest things to watch out for - petty theft and some chaotic driving on the roads. The driving part wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, except for the couple flat tires we had.

Goingright

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 10, 2009
Just young men looking for trouble. I think they were trying to bait me into fighting so they could use it to get me to give them money.

The hassle level was so high.

Maybe because I was traveling alone.

By the end the trip I was vibing them so hard that when they engaged, they back down because they could see I was done.

I heard a story about someone just getting off the plane and getting robbed at knife point and hour later.

At the end of the trip, if that happened to me, I would have said, "come at me bro. I don't care if you kill me with your knife."

I've traveled the world and Morocco is at the top of my all time sh!t-list.

No girls, no alcohol, Isreal surfers.

Maybe they smelled the 25% jew in me?

My parents had just died horrifically too so maybe they smelled the trauma me.

Having your parents die is the worst!
lol I was going to ask you if you are white looking Stereotypical California dude and then I read your signature..lol
I hated morocco.

Worst surf trip ever.

I almost got into two fights.

And. haven't gotten into a fight 35 years.

It made me HATE HATE HATE the muslin relgion.

I used to say live and let live

And yes there are cool morrocans, I know.

I met a couple but for the most part I found them awful.
I was going to ask you if you are a white stereotypical white dude that draws attention but then I saw your signature..lol . Just kidding. Man, I'm really sorry that happened to you and would like to apologize in advance. I think you would probably had a much better experience if you had stayed with the big surf camps. Those are really fun. They drive anywhere you want with the group of advanced surfers. The food is also good. Tons of Euro chicks and made so many friends over the years.
The vibe is incredible . You meet people from all around the world. Its much easier as all you have to worry about is Surfing.
The guide in the morning will make the call where to surf depending on swell, wind etc

The general rule of thumb, if you are in a very sketch area, always be in company. But generally, you really have dont much to worry about. 10 or 20 bucks a day you can easily find someone who can surf guide you. Those kids are also funny and cool as hell and will show you around the best surf spots.

IMHO, you just got a bit unlucky. The second best option is probably stay in those fancy condos right on water. Pay a bit more around 80-100 bucks a day and you are in a nice spot and safer than the sketchy areas in Taghazout. I wouldnt stay there myself.

Third option is maybe Hyatt Place Taghazout. Its a really classy hotel if you are with the wife and want to let her chill by pool. Really nice spot. The breakfast Brunch is included and incredible. I think its about 100/120 bucks a day. Bunch a security and nothing to worry about. Just need a car to drive to the surf spots. Dinner is massive buffet for about 40 bucks I think.
Food is extremely clean. Hyatt is like a Hyatt you are staying at in US with a touch of Moroccan decor. The rooms are beautiful overlooking the entire bay.

There is another Hyatt Regency Brand being built right on water in Taghazout. Its a nicer location as its on water. I think its due to open this coming quarter.

Having said all that, I think the place that works the best is condos in water all the way over there by right next to mountain.. ;). The place is extremely clean and owner does a really good job. I know her for a very long time. I just watch the Surf all day and time my paddle out depending on conditions tide etc Sometimes you can catch the surf before the crowd gets there or in b/w sessions when the crowd thins out. I dont find the place very crowded to the spot on the right. Surfed it many times with few people out. You can go to grocery store (marjane in agadir), get all your necessities for the week and pretty much dont have to leave the place at all. There is security and feels pretty safe. Restaurant also available. 4 good spots right in short walking distance.

I think in 5-10 years from now, that whole village will get wiped out by the government. They already blocked the entire coastline road and built that massive residential resort with golf courses, hotels etc . Access to Taghazout is all the way around the mountain with that new road they built. Now golf tourists come stay at Hyatt, enjoy modern accommodations, play the nice ocean course, and dont have to worry about problems OP encountered. There is also a four seasons being built. They are going after high end tourists and they are going to modernize the entire area.

The village used to be back in 70's hippies with majority from Australia, europe, US etc and aussies were always instructed to leave boards behind. They would camp there literally for 3-6 months. Even in 90's it was still off the radar. First time I got there, saw this dude walk out from the tent and shower in ocean with shampoo..lol Residential dev took off like wildfire in morocco for the past 20 years. 1 acre lot was probably 30K. Now easily going for 250K+

Last edited: