DIY kit?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
For 3, it'd be amazing if we have a pool of beginner loaner gear, including a FoilDrive.

Buying used gear hasn't so far saved me any money. Wish I hadn't.

Reactions: saucerboy

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
I'd be happy to loan my gear out to others once I'm through with it. I lucked into meeting a guy at the beach here who has generously passed along an old wing and wing board to me. I'd love to pay it forward when I can.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I would use what you have for the time being, while constantly looking for new gear. Did you tell me where you were at? Basically talk to the people at the beach. Foilers are nice and will often let you try their gear, or have a line on other gear for cheap. If they see you're truly trying to learn, they'll help you out and find you something to use.

Reactions: saucerboy and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
A little update on my hunt and info that would maybe help someone some day.

I found a guy with a used GoFoil GT foil for sale. I spoke with Karla at GoFoil. She said that that the old tuttle masts, like mine, can often require a lot of work to get a new foil to fit it. She strongly recommended I try to find a newer mast. Good news is that the guy with the GT foil also has several masts. The bad news is that my board only has a tuttle box.

I spoke with my board maker and, while he could add a track system to my board he didn't recommend it. Plus, the cost of adding the tracks exceeds what a used prone foil board would cost. Everything is not coming up Milhouse.
If cost is a big deal, you can DEFINITELY install your own track box if you've got some epoxy laying around. I'm happy to donate epoxy to your cause/help. Seems intimidating, but if your foil boar is otherwise fine but tuttle-only, it may be worth it. I can't say whether a used board would be a better option.

My choices seem to be:
  • 1. roll the dice with the GT and my mast
  • 2. buy all new (to me) gear including a board
  • 3. just use my current first gen gear and keep learning on that. buy new gear after I'm through the beginner phase
@Hdip have you heard any stories of people using the newer GoFoil wings on older masts?

Edit: BTW, Karla at GoFoil was really wonderful. Super helpful answering questions. Completely encouraging of me finding used gear to learn on. No hard selling, just trying to make sure I have stuff that will work. She offered to rummage around in their warehouse and find some cheaper gear for me to learn on too. Excellent customer service.
Here's how to shim wings.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Reactions: saucerboy and Hdip

saucerboy

Nep status
Aug 10, 2009
Santa Cruz
Thanks for the links @PRCD and the advice @Hdip. After more thought I'm either going try a newer foil in my mast if I can get the right deal on a GT or just stick with what I have and be on the lookout for new gear.

Last edited:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Probably some guys here that you could get in touch with and figure out the local used market. Beasho is a guy that's regular on other message boards. Kyle Pemberton? is up that way and does DW runs, he's on AXIS foils. AXIS is pretty good about getting guys demo gear.