DIY kit?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Duotone's are top of the line wings. That is a boom wing. So factor in the price of the boom also. Booms are interesting, add a little bit of weight. Never have to look for a handle though. Put your hands at any position you want. Or one hand the wing.
Do you think I can try to get a used one cheaper? Seems like these square designs are better for light winds and pumping. https://gofoil.com/product/go-s-wing/
I don't want to spend a fortune on this but I also don't want to let the "summer" slip by.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do you think I can try to get a used one cheaper? Seems like these square designs are better for light winds and pumping. https://gofoil.com/product/go-s-wing/
I don't want to spend a fortune on this but I also don't want to let the "summer" slip by.
Spend your money on gas. Not on wings. :) It'll be more productive. We've been having a terrible year for wind kind of. Great April. Terrible May. This cold weather pattern will eventually break and we'll get more wind.

You're about to find out that wind forecasts are way more annoying than surf forecasts ever were.

The larger wings are nice. But there is still a minimum amount of wind needed. Plus as a beginner trying to go out in sub 15 MPH is going to be difficult no matter what wing you're on.

Reactions: averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Spend your money on gas. Not on wings. :) It'll be more productive. We've been having a terrible year for wind kind of. Great April. Terrible May. This cold weather pattern will eventually break and we'll get more wind.
TBH I'm not sure we're going to have a summer this year.
You're about to find out that wind forecasts are way more annoying than surf forecasts ever were.
I think I'm there haha.
The larger wings are nice. But there is still a minimum amount of wind needed. Plus as a beginner trying to go out in sub 15 MPH is going to be difficult no matter what wing you're on.
I'm really trying to just extend the amount of the day I can foil at the lakes you've recommended.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
This is starting to look like the best local option:
I read a lot of wind reports all week and nothing near the coast approached rideable near me. I don't really want to drive further south anyway.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Is that you in the LAFC whatsapp now?

What about Olivehain Dam right next door? Almost rideable today. With a 6m and big gear those gusts will get you up and riding from 5-6 PM today.

3 free sensors to check on ikite. Start watching them. The nam3km forecast usually works well for the free sensors.

1685940283266.png

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
This is starting to look like the best local option:
I read a lot of wind reports all week and nothing near the coast approached rideable near me. I don't really want to drive further south anyway.

I saw that spot when I was trying to figure out where you were going to wing

Wind has been wack here this season. Usually way windier. Funky low pressure systems are blocking the gradients.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

What about Olivehain Dam right next door? Almost rideable today. With a 6m and big gear those gusts will get you up and riding from 5-6 PM today.

3 free sensors to check on ikite. Start watching them. The nam3km forecast usually works well for the free sensors.

View attachment 155623
You're not allowed onto that one, but it's close-enough by that that wind meter probably works.

They really need to increase freshwater lake access and that reservoir should be included. This county is already talking about processing all blackwater into potable water, so I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed onto all reservoirs. The other thing they're doing is trying to STAWP the SPREAD of invasive freshwater mussels which is just absolutely futile but makes it harder to put your boats/craft into the water.

BTW, thank you all for your help. I would've gotten nowhere without you. :cheers:

Reactions: Hdip and averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020

View attachment 155623
I could've gone today with the 6.5 m wing I just ordered.
1686179462208.png

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I could've gone today with the 6.5 m wing I just ordered.
View attachment 155853
While, yes, people will claim to be able to foil those wind speeds with a big wing. I would say you're going to be more frustrated than you ever were in your life if you try to learn in that. Go out on a skateboard in a beach parking lot with the wing in that wind. You'll have more fun and learn more.

Wait for the steady line to be 15 MPH minimum to learn. You can't learn to surf if there are no waves. You can't do a windsport if there is no wind.

Reactions: averagejoe and PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
While, yes, people will claim to be able to foil those wind speeds with a big wing. I would say you're going to be more frustrated than you ever were in your life if you try to learn in that. Go out on a skateboard in a beach parking lot with the wing in that wind. You'll have more fun and learn more.
I'm on top of a local mountain. I just scoped out the West-facing side where there are no houses. The cul-de-sac will require a lot of jibing. I can take the road to it on a reach.

Reactions: Hdip

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Finally took a lesson and wish I had done so before buying anything. The guy stuck me on a 170 L inflatable Naish with the mast acting as a centerboard and had me stand on that first, then go back out with a 5 meter wing. The wind was less than 10 knots. I practiced reaching and gybing and finally pointing upwind. He said to practice on a skateboard and next time he'd break out the low-aspect >2200 foil. Using this guy's equipment, I'm going to get on foil much faster. He teaches in light winds all the time and it seems to work.

According to him, there aren't good forecasts for Mission Bay winds which have many local effects not captured in the model. There were lots of kids and adults foiling there.

My boar has too few liters for my beginner phase. I'm going to try strapping some foam rollers to it and see if that helps.

rossky

OTF status
Apr 4, 2006
Finally took a lesson and wish I had done so before buying anything. The guy stuck me on a 170 L inflatable Naish with the mast acting as a centerboard and had me stand on that first, then go back out with a 5 meter wing. The wind was less than 10 knots. I practiced reaching and gybing and finally pointing upwind. He said to practice on a skateboard and next time he'd break out the low-aspect >2200 foil. Using this guy's equipment, I'm going to get on foil much faster. He teaches in light winds all the time and it seems to work.

According to him, there aren't good forecasts for Mission Bay winds which have many local effects not captured in the model. There were lots of kids and adults foiling there.

My boar has too few liters for my beginner phase. I'm going to try strapping some foam rollers to it and see if that helps.
Who did you do the lesson with?

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009

Great to hear of your positive steps. Wind sports isn't like surfing, it's not likely you can succeed by doing it your way and just trying harder. Especially in a light wind location: success requires maximizing wind potential and having the right gear. That means following the herd, which doesn't come natural for most surfers. I have a bunch of surfer friends who tried wing and gave up, mainly because they wouldn't listen to the good advice of those who walked this road before them. And also wouldn't put in the hard work, as it's not much fun at first and sucks to be the kook for a while. Like I said earlier: big helping of humble pie is ultimately what's needed to climb that ladder. But it's a short learning curve, once you're on it. Sounds like you're on the right track. Yeww!

Reactions: Hdip and averagejoe

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Great to hear of your positive steps. Wind sports isn't like surfing, it's not likely you can succeed by doing it your way and just trying harder. Especially in a light wind location: success requires maximizing wind potential and having the right gear. That means following the herd, which doesn't come natural for most surfers. I have a bunch of surfer friends who tried wing and gave up, mainly because they wouldn't listen to the good advice of those who walked this road before them. And also wouldn't put in the hard work, as it's not much fun at first and sucks to be the kook for a while. Like I said earlier: big helping of humble pie is ultimately what's needed to climb that ladder. But it's a short learning curve, once you're on it. Sounds like you're on the right track. Yeww!
Yeah, this guy appears to have the right gear. I still intend to go to a high wind place to get better, but do I really want to drive hours without being taught the basics? That 2 hour session was worth several DIY sessions somewhere else, IMO. I'm going to take another then I'll see about driving to LA. I have a lot of commitments and need to optimize the time I spend on this.

Also, we'll all survive if I fail to learn this. It's ok to fail things.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah, this guy appears to have the right gear. I still intend to go to a high wind place to get better, but do I really want to drive hours without being taught the basics? That 2 hour session was worth several DIY sessions somewhere else, IMO. I'm going to take another then I'll see about driving to LA. I have a lot of commitments and need to optimize the time I spend on this.

Also, we'll all survive if I fail to learn this. It's ok to fail things.

I bought and sold gear twice, before learning it the third time. :)

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD