Distant Shores

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
As a surfer on the SB Channel for nearly 40 years now I've done my share of gazing at oil rigs, islands and coastlines N and S. I used to think this kind of view indicated the earth's surface curvature...

...then I started researching these kinds of observations due to comments made in the water regarding seeing things we should not see...because they should be below the horizon. Discovered really quick that we cannot detect surface curvature anywhere. All long distance observations are "as flat". Here's a photo study showing the magnitude of the problem...the horizon is essentially in the wrong place...

These photos are in the Potpourri section...go check them out in larger format if needed.

Many will claim this is due to mirage or refraction. Although these effects do occur...especially at the horizon...they do not explain why we see landscape we should not be able to see at all. Here's a really good video on the subject...even if you don't agree with my conclusion...maybe learn something new....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isOUXNEGLcY

As stated in another thread, there's photos of landscape up to 300 miles in the distance where the objects seen should be nearly 50,000 ft below the horizon. I've yet to see long range views or images that depict the landscape as if we lived on sphere of nearly 4000 mile radius...it always appears "as flat'. I find this rather intriguing....where's the curvature? I'm still looking....

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
We could work a little trade maybe...you know...remodel my kitchen...

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
What's below the earth? And how do you explain the lack of any observable flat discs elsewhere in the universe? Are we on a one-off structure completely different from the multitude of spherical planets that have been observed orbiting stars?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Looming and refraction.

Anyway, my favorite way of knowing we live on the surface of the oblate spheroid (technically speaking), is watching the moon rise or moon set.

The simplest answer is not some great machine moving around spotlights while the surface of the earth accelerates at 9.81 m/s^2 to explain gravity (because after a few years, we'd be exceeding the speed of light). Humanity has come a long way in the last few hundred years due to rational thought, why cede those gains?

_____

Miki Dora status
Sep 17, 2012
BSshwack said:
What's below the earth? And how do you explain the lack of any observable flat discs elsewhere in the universe? Are we on a one-off structure completely different from the multitude of spherical planets that have been observed orbiting stars?
It's like getting a hardcore liberal to embrace a hardcore conservative idea and vice versa. Converting flat earth theorists isn't happening (and vice versa). There's also an underworld empire of people you'll never see. We simply refer to them as "they". "They" carry out terrorist attacks, release chemtrails, stage moon landings, are responsible for JFK, and don't want you to know the truth. "They" infiltrate universities and teach us false science.

BSshwack

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 2, 2017
LA
Flat earth and other conspiracy theories like that strike me as a dramatic response to the abject fear people have of the realization that nobody's really in control and absolutely nobody has a clue where this thing is going. So much easier to have a "they" to point to and curse.

Subway

Phil Edwards status
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
BSshwack said:
Flat earth and other conspiracy theories like that strike me as a dramatic response to the abject fear people have of the realization that nobody's really in control and absolutely nobody has a clue where this thing is going. So much easier to have a "they" to point to and curse.
word

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Here's a few more of my photos...
Bigger size of the oil rigs with missing legs...
[img:center]http://forum.surfer.com/photopost/data/505/medium/0il_Rigs.JPG[/img]
Another day looking ESE from Campus Point parking lot....rigs with legs missing and 2600' hidden height problem @ Saddle Peak in the background (can't have it curved at the rigs but not at distant peaks)...
[img:center]http://forum.surfer.com/photopost/data/505/medium/3_70_miles.JPG[/img]

And...not my photo...but it's a view from Kauai to the Big Island 300 plus miles. Big Island is on the right. Oahu Left....Maui center behind Oahu. Highest point should be like 50,000 feet below the horizon...
[img:center]http://forum.surfer.com/photopost/data/505/medium/7_Big_Island_300_miles.JPG[/img]

And, here's what is claimed to be the world record long distance landscape photo...from a website of photo enthusiasts...not interested in the shape of the earth. Why give a record for taking pictures of refractions or mirages, eh?
[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG7hBdVhFY[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QG7hBdVhFY

Link to hidden height calculator...
https://dizzib.github.io/earth/curve-calc/?d0=30&h0=10&unit=imperial

I'm looking forward to this fall when we have the best clear air viewing around here...join me for a before surf look-see at Campus one day...let your eyes see what they'll see. Always the same view with the horizon in the wrong place...

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Bohter said:
I'm looking forward to this fall when we have the best clear air viewing around here...join me for a before surf look-see at Campus one day...let your eyes see what they'll see. Always the same view with the horizon in the wrong place...
You know why you can see best in fall?

Still air refracts best, and a sharper inversion layer of warm air over cooler air (as cooled by the ocean) helps.

How about some humor?

Time for this vid

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Driftcoast said:
Bohter said:
You know why you can see best in fall?

Still air refracts best, and inversion layer of warm air over cooler air (as cooled by the ocean) helps.
The best long distance viewing correlates with clear air. Period.

We certainly see refractions and mirages at play much of the time as well....especially at the horizon and over water...but the light from objects beyond the horizon/vanishing point and generally lower in elevation is usually bent downward creating views like the missing oil rig legs...or sky on the horizon where we know land is (reference my photo study...sky where Ventura/Oxnard should be). As or mirages...like Superior or Fata Morgana...I don't recall seeing these w/o also seeing the object that being miraged....i.e. we typical see the object and an inverted distorted mirage above it....sometime we'll see a double non inverted but heavily distorted mirage above the first. These are obvious...and obviously not responsible for the position of the ridge lines and peaks in the above photos.

I've taken photos across many days...and have never seen the horizon as depicted by the Peakfinder.org view (surface of a sphere whit 3959 mile radius).

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Still air without clouds/rain/dust/particulate/haze = clear air.

Clear air with lots of wind moving through it does not provide as good a view and clear still air. Sure you agree with that.

Why do you think you can see curve in one of your photos and not another? A lumpy layer of water in front of oil platforms?

Since you like Channel Island stuff, here is floating Santa Cruz Island:

(Image link page as it it a png file not a jpg file )

Enjoy more mysteries of your neck of the waters at this link showing more Channel Island inversion layers.