Disneyland Prices - WTF

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I hate disneyword/land and every time I'm dragged there I'm in constant amazement of the families you see there who are spending way beyond their means to go there because it's what they're supposed to do. A right of passage of sorts. What Walt created is evil genius but damn. You can take a family of four to Hawaii for a week for the price of 3 days at Disneyland when you factor in admission, parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc. I'm also amazed at the local season pass holders, I'd rather go to the dentist. And only fat chicks have Disney tattoos.
THIS.

I just really don't fcking get it.

I know people who "can't afford to travel" but they're at Disneyland/world with 3 fvcking kids 5 times a year for multiple days and staying at nice resorts, eating in the park, and buying plenty of booze and souvenirs. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IMO it's practically child abuse to deprive a kid of real travel and blow it all on Disney theme parks. I know kids who go regularly and it's the only vacation they've ever been on.

Weirder is people who don't have kids but go on a regular basis as well. Adults with no kids and they're season pass holders. WTF.

As a kid I went once when I was 8, another time when I was 12. Did not see what the big deal was and the rides were lacking in intensity.

Was given free passes so went another time when I was 23 or 24 and I had horrible gas that made me gag - spent the day silently ripping the most disgusting farts in line - had people retching.:ROFLMAO: Most fun I ever had at Disney.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
And don't forget all the Aulani ads on TV. Going to Hawaii and then spending it at a Disney resort? Great God in Hell, no way will that happen. If going to spend that kind of coin, we'll buy the Volcom House and the two next to it for good measure.

Then the wife got a wild hair about going on a Disney cruise. Absolute hell no on that too. I despise the idea of cruises in the first place but a Disney cruise? Insert Goodfellas unrestrained laughter meme.

I'm with you Casa - I do not understand childless adults going to Disneyland. It is just weird. Really weird. But I never did give a rats ass about the whole Disney phenomena, even as a kid. So maybe that's part of why I don't understand it.

I went to Disneyland a couple times when I was 5 or 6. But once I discovered Magic Mountain a couple years later, Disney what?

I'd far rather take my kids camping or traveling somewhere cool.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
kids are 4 and 16 months, we'd be going mostly for the christmas stuff. theres no beer there? oh man.
We took our daughter when she was around 6. Prepare to see the entire range of human emotions pinballing amongst the various members of your family throughout the day. It was fun, I found beer somewhere and nobody ended up facing charges.

Reactions: rts265

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I'm in complete agreement, but I am also not in a position to fight this. I am going to point out how expensive it is and I'd rather spend that on some mini vacation - without the kids!

I'd rather spend twice the amount and enjoy myself than pay well over 500 for a day in hell

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
Went a few years ago, mid week during the holiday season. Bought tickets online so we were locked in. Drove down early from Ventura, got to the gate and they were at maximum capacity, not letting anyone in...yep, Disneyland max capacity...they kicked us over to the Adventure Park till enough people exited Disneyland then we were allowed to go in, although the ticket person said your probably not gonna wanna go in there anyway. It was an absolute sea of people in the park. All I could do was laugh and shake my head. Got on 4 or 5 rides the whole time we were there I believe. Still trying to recover from the happiest place in the world.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
That's the one!

Told her the only way we'd go on a "cruise" is if we chartered our own sailboat. We could make it Disney-related also by cruising around the Caribbean.

And I got the effects of that meme pretty much in response.

Reactions: keenfish

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California
For like 25 years, I had access to Club 33 whenever I wanted, which got you and all of your guests free entrance to both parks for the price of the very nice meal at 33. They have a full bar and great food. (It's all they say it is for this secret club.) Those were the Glory Days. I still can get in there, but now you have pay for park entrance and there are other changed rules. Fvck that.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
When I last worked at ABC/Disney the employee discount sucked. You could do better with promotions from a can of coke.

When I worked at Universal on the other hand they had a gate with walk-on access to the park from the lot. You could grab a free bottle of water on your way in, cut the lines with your ID, etc. On slow work days we'd smoke a joint and go ride all the rides in 2hrs and go back to work. That's how you do it.

Reactions: CutnSnip

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
I just really don't fcking get it.
The reason for your lack of appreciation is three fold:
1. You don't have kids;
2. You don't share communal experiences; and
3. You don't understand the 3 types of fun (https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/fun-scale)

Please don't take this as subjective criticism; rather, only an objective observation. Not judging, just pointing out facts.

Disneyland at its best is both type I and type II. At its worst, it's type II.

To this day, years later, our experiences still come up now & then, peppering and flavoring different conversations, either by ourselves, with families or with friends. There are photos on the wall and shared memories alike.

It's almost like GIs getting together to reminisce about war time experiences. Not particularly fun while happening, but 20 years later, the memories can still be vivid.

What's a $ thousand or more bucks when those memories are going to last a lifetime? When the kids get old and have their own kids, are you going to remember the money and crowds, or happily regale everyone with how crowded, expensive it was, but damn, Johnny really was scared on the X ride.

(For years, our son was terrified by Pirates. We once almost had him preoccupied (age 3) until we were ready to get in. He took one look at simply laid down. LOL) It was great "big boy" moment (age 4?) when he bravely stood in line, fully aware of the situation, got in the boat, and handled it like a man.

To this day, over beers and good food, I still give him sh!t about it. LOL

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I grew up on it as a kid so I'm one of those weirdos

we used to skate in for free on ex's partent's black pass (former disney employees)
with the kids when they were under 5.

I still keep the cheap season pass and take the kids some weekdays after school

if you want to know when a good time to go is...look at the days NOT blacked
out on the cheapest season pass...those are the low traffic days/periods of the
year.

the BEST time is just after labor day...summer is over and kids are back in school.

second best is buying the special Halloween Trick or Treat event tickets....all those
morons are seriously just in line for candy...the lines for the rides are EMPTY. you can
lap so many of the top tier rides while the rest of the trogs are filling their bags with
candy...it boggles the mind.

I think having the pass takes the sting off since you're not opening your wallet to get
in and you don't feel compelled to milk every last drop out of the day...it is some of the
best people watching anywhere in california.

if you've got the moxy, it's also a great place to enjoy some hallucinogenics for
the same reason stated above.

Reactions: Havoc

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
I'd far rather take my kids camping or traveling somewhere cool.
Your kids will hate camping, traveling or doing anything with you at all when they reach 12-13. Took my son up to Whitney age 14 - hated it. It wasn't until 6 years later that he willingly came along for a JMT section hike.

Attachments

Reactions: Havoc

ringer

Tom Curren status
Aug 2, 2002
Huntington Beach, California

we used to skate in for free on ex's partent's black pass (former disney employees)

year.

the BEST time is just after labor day...summer is over and kids are back in school.

second best is buying the special Halloween Trick or Treat event tickets....all those
morons are seriously just in line for candy...the lines for the rides are EMPTY. you can
lap so many of the top tier rides while the rest of the trogs are filling their bags with

I think having the pass takes the sting off since you're not opening your wallet to get
in and you don't feel compelled to milk every last drop out of the day...it is some of the

if you've got the moxy, it's also a great place to enjoy some hallucinogenics for
I know a lot of local adults (young and old) who buy the annual passes and enjoy their time at Disneyland throughout the year. I get it, and it's fine. But it's not for me, once Club 33 changed the rules.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The reason for your lack of appreciation is two fold:
1. You don't have kids;
I've heard a ton of people with kids express the same sentiment as me...

2. You don't share communal experiences; and
Depends on the experience.

3. You don't understand the 3 types of fun (https://www.rei.com/blog/climb/fun-scale)
I do. I think it would be pretty difficult being a surfer and not understanding.

Please don't take this as subjective criticism; rather, only an objective observation. Not judging, just pointing out facts.

Disneyland at its best is both type I and type II. At its worst, it's type II.
If you like that kind of stuff...

for me it's more type III

To this day, years later, our experiences still come up now & then, peppering and flavoring different conversations, either by ourselves, with families or with friends. There are photos on the wall and shared memories alike.
We have that too, but it consists of experiences spent in the outdoors or at historical sites or other countries.

What's a $ thousand or more bucks when those memories are going to last a lifetime?
In my father-in-law's case it was bankruptcy.

Constantly blowing money on trips to Disney and other stupid similar sh!t.

When the kids get old and have their own kids, are you going to remember the money and crowds, or happily regale everyone with how crowded, expensive it was, but damn, Johnny really was scared on the X ride.

(For years, our son was terrified by Pirates. We once almost had him preoccupied (age 3) until we were ready to get in. He took one look at simply laid down. LOL) It was great "big boy" moment (age 4?) when he bravely stood in line, fully aware of the situation, got in the boat, and handled it like a man.

To this day, over beers and good food, I still give him sh!t about it. LOL
I never got off on Disney as a kid. They made cartoon movies. OK. Once or twice was enough for me.

The rides there suck. What got me off as a kid was Six Flags, King's Island, etc. every couple of years.

I think I just prefer experiences that are thrills, intellectually stimulating, or require physical exertion, or are spiritually (I hate that word) stimulating.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

year.

I bet they'd love a trip to Gettysburg.

Type I and II fun.

And the ROI is better.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
Going back a ways to the E ticket days, but we had it good when mom got us in on LA County employee day. We got these passes we tied to the buttons of our shirts and got on any ride we wanted, as many times as we wanted.

Mom would make a bunch of fried chicken, and we'd meet at the main gate at specified time to go back to the car and eat. Then back in for more. We only paid for a drink or 2, and maybe a little candy and that's it on concessions. We were poor by So Cal standards.

It was a bit busy during the daylight hours with longer lines, but at night, it thinned out a lot and we were jumping right back on the Matterhorn as fast as we got off. That and the Autopia and Mr. Toads, etc;. When Pirates and Haunted Mansion opened in late 60's, we'd do that at least once or more. We were over Mansion pretty quick. We had the place so wired in the 60's/early 70's, when we'd crash cars in the back of each other on Autopia and stalled them, we didn't even wait for the attendants to re-start our cars. We just jumped out and pulled the lawn-mower type starter rope ourselves, jump back in and off again. It was a blast as a kid. Probably get kicked out for that now.

Went again in the mid-80's with the first wife and her daughter, and couldn't believe how insanely crowded it was, and we were immediately over it.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
in and you don't feel compelled to milk every last drop out of the day.
I do get that part. It's kinda the same concept as having a season pass to mammoth. At $189/day going for a weekend becomes pretty pricy, especially when taking a family. If the passes are paid in advance the sting certainly isn't there because you paid for it 6 months ago and the more you go the less each day costs. And like you said, the desire to milk every drop out of each day isn't there. But it's still Disney.