Disc surgery

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
My bro in law had the Whipple procedure done in 2008.

Ever since then he has had serious issues with digestion. He has been back to the hospital several times. He has had chemo/radio a couple times. He now has stents in his intestines and elsewhere. Has been fed intravenously for the last few years. Every now then he attempts to eat a few bites of soft food and gets sick. His bilirubin numbers periodicaly go off the charts.

Last night he experienced severe neck/back pain and was hospitalized again. They gave him Vicodin and he immediately vomited. Finally gave him a morphine drip. They said he has a "slipped disc" and even discussed surgery (I'm not sure if it was disc replacement or fusion). My sister goes into crisis mode and does not communicate, but my older sister was asking me about my back pain issues.

All the RX I know might not work for him. NSAIDs would probably irritate his GI tract. Opioids also (they cause constipation). He was a high school athlete who always continued playing pick up basketball, but since his cancer diagnosis he has stopped and I've watched him become emaciated. I always think ,"He should be doing some strength work, PT or exercise," but I don't know how that would affect him in his weakened state.

Needless to say, in his condition the family was hyper vigilant during Covid and remains so to this day.

To those who might have had disc replacement or fusion, how intense is the surgery? And how difficult is the rehab? And do you ever prescribe strength work to cancer survivors with continuing complications?

Just a really sad and difficult situation. He's been very successful and is Art Director of Sponge Bob. Luckily he has been able to work from home.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: john4surf and PRCD

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005

Ever since then he has had serious issues with digestion. He has been back to the hospital several times. He has had chemo/radio a couple times. He now has stents in his intestines and elsewhere. Has been fed intravenously for the last few years. Every now then he attempts to eat a few bites of soft food and gets sick. His bilirubin numbers periodicaly go off the charts.

Last night he experienced severe neck/back pain and was hospitalized again. They gave him Vicodin and he immediately vomited. Finally gave him a morphine drip. They said he has a "slipped disc" and even discussed surgery (I'm not sure if it was disc replacement or fusion). My sister goes into crisis mode and does not communicate, but my older sister was asking me about my back pain issues.

All the RX I know might not work for him. NSAIDs would probably irritate his GI tract. Opioids also (they cause constipation). He was a high school athlete who always continued playing pick up basketball, but since his cancer diagnosis he has stopped and I've watched him become emaciated. I always think ,"He should be doing some strength work, PT or exercise," but I don't know how that would affect him in his weakened state.

Needless to say, in his condition the family was hyper vigilant during Covid and remains so to this day.

To those who might have had disc replacement or fusion, how intense is the surgery? And how difficult is the rehab? And do you ever prescribe strength work to cancer survivors with continuing complications?

Just a really sad and difficult situation. He's been very successful and is Art Director of Sponge Bob. Luckily he has been able to work from home.
I had lumbar disc surgery 20+ years ago, and didn't find the surgery or the recovery from it bad at all. Very little pain, was released from the hospital the next day. But, there are all sorts of different back procedures, and I imagine a fusion would be more problematic. For my disc surgery they didn't do any PT. Told me to do nothing but walk, and when cleared in several months, said I could swim.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had lumbar disc surgery 20+ years ago, and didn't find the surgery or the recovery from it bad at all. Very little pain, was released from the hospital the next day. But, there are all sorts of different back procedures, and I imagine a fusion would be more problematic. For my disc surgery they didn't do any PT. Told me to do nothing but walk, and when cleared in several months, said I could swim.
Thanks for that report.

It turns out he had a spinal infection, probably caused by either his PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter, for feeding), or the stents. At first the infection was misdiagnosed as metastatic cancer. You can imagine my bro in law and sister's shock and fear. They will move his PICC from his arm to his stomach. In the meantime his bilirubin numbers shot up and he turned jaundiced and therefore is still in the hospitals. Maybe a stress reaction. It seems every time they take him to the hospital for one thing, something else comes up. Man, the guy has suffered a lot the last 15+ years...

re you surgery, how's the surfing ability afterwards?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

Spinal fusion, L5-S1, about 15 years ago, no regrets, it gave me my life back. Surgery was pretty invasive back then, but I understand they've gotten a lot better at it. There's a lot of things I'll never do again - high impact stuff like snow skiing, running, etc - but I can surf as long as I'm able :waving:

Clayster

Phil Edwards status
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for that report.

It turns out he had a spinal infection, probably caused by either his PICC (peripherally inserted central catheter, for feeding), or the stents. At first the infection was misdiagnosed as metastatic cancer. You can imagine my bro in law and sister's shock and fear. They will move his PICC from his arm to his stomach. In the meantime his bilirubin numbers shot up and he turned jaundiced and therefore is still in the hospitals. Maybe a stress reaction. It seems every time they take him to the hospital for one thing, something else comes up. Man, the guy has suffered a lot the last 15+ years...

re you surgery, how's the surfing ability afterwards?
It didn't affect it. I was back surfing five months post surgery.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I know someone who had a Pylorus Preserving Pancreatoduodectomy.
They take a raft of enzymes, pain and other meds, and have been on a reduced fat diet for more than a decade.

I don't know if I would put up with it all, but they do. That they're still alive after all this time is due to force of will more than anything else.

And now nerve/spine issues...

I don't have much to offer other than am sorry to hear of the family involvement with all this.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I know someone who had a Pylorus Preserving Pancreatoduodectomy.
They take a raft of enzymes, pain and other meds, and have been on a reduced fat diet for more than a decade.

I don't know if I would put up with it all, but they do. That they're still alive after all this time is due to force of will more than anything else.

And now nerve/spine issues...

I don't have much to offer other than am sorry to hear of the family involvement with all this.
Thanks. My sister closes communication when things get bad. We haven't had a an update in over a week. He's still in the hospital...:cry:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Thanks. My sister closes communication when things get bad. We haven't had a an update in over a week. He's still in the hospital...:cry:
Though it's hard on those around you, sometimes your energy levels only allow you to fo so much, basically care for yourselves.

Maybe reach out by text, non-invasive, just letting them know you are there for them should they need you for anything at all.

:shrug:

These situations are tough to navigate. Use your surfing skills though, they always help a bunch.... IE: when the current gets worst, put your head down paddle sideways and know that you will be out of the thought spot sooner or later, for example.

Best of luck.... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Though it's hard on those around you, sometimes your energy levels only allow you to fo so much, basically care for yourselves.

Maybe reach out by text, non-invasive, just letting them know you are there for them should they need you for anything at all.

:shrug:

These situations are tough to navigate. Use your surfing skills though, they always help a bunch.... IE: when the current gets worst, put your head down paddle sideways and know that you will be out of the thought spot sooner or later, for example.

Best of luck.... :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
Thanks.

They're sending him home for hospice care...54 years old... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I have severe arthritis in the L5 - wonder what kinds of other problems it's causing. I'm 53, 6'4" and pretty creaky. Chiro helps, but man, I miss my 20 year old body.

• Love
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
A big question is why did he have a Whipple in 2008? And that's pretty much a miracle to be alive here 15 yrs after a Whipple! Generally speaking, Whipple's are mostly done for Pancreatic Cancer and other nearby tumors or severe pancreatitis.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A big question is why did he have a Whipple in 2008? And that's pretty much a miracle to be alive here 15 yrs after a Whipple! Generally speaking, Whipple's are mostly done for Pancreatic Cancer and other nearby tumors or severe pancreatitis.
He had cancer. He had had cancer as a young man, testicular, but recovered well and has two daughters. Then cancer returned. I'm not sure where , I thought it was the intestines or stomach. t has affected his ability to digest ever since. He feeds with a PICC. He has preiodically been in the hospital for complications. This most recent episode is the worst. I wrote above that he was sent home for hospice. Again , now I'm not sure that's accurate. One MD said the cancer metastasized, but another said it hadn't. He was initially admitted for neck pain. The final diagnosis was nerve infection, possibley caused by the PICC, which they havenow moved so that it goes directly to his stomach. The probelm is with his conidtion he cannot take opioids, steroids or even NSAIDS for pain as it messes with his liver. Half his liver is non functioning, the other half has undergone some strange adaptation. I was told his bilirubin numbers have repeatedly gone throught the charts.

He has been/is treated at Cedars Sinai so I imagine that's about as good as it gets.

• Wow
Reactions: john4surf

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
He had cancer. He had had cancer as a young man, testicular, but recovered well and has two daughters. Then cancer returned. I'm not sure where , I thought it was the intestines or stomach. t has affected his ability to digest ever since. He feeds with a PICC. He has preiodically been in the hospital for complications. This most recent episode is the worst. I wrote above that he was sent home for hospice. Again , now I'm not sure that's accurate. One MD said the cancer metastasized, but another said it hadn't. He was initially admitted for neck pain. The final diagnosis was nerve infection, possibley caused by the PICC, which they havenow moved so that it goes directly to his stomach. The probelm is with his conidtion he cannot take opioids, steroids or even NSAIDS for pain as it messes with his liver. Half his liver is non functioning, the other half has undergone some strange adaptation. I was told his bilirubin numbers have repeatedly gone throught the charts.

He has been/is treated at Cedars Sinai so I imagine that's about as good as it gets.

Mainstream oncologists will tell you that cancer is a disease of genetic mutation. If that were true then you would not hear so many of these cases of people who go through different types of cancer ......while other people don't get cancer at all.

Cancer is a disease of cellular energy loss. Random gene mutation is an effect of the energy loss.

The reason why mainstream oncology blames gene mutation is that cancer patients get cancer via lifestyles which they will refuse to change even if it means death. Telling them to change what they are doing only has one effect. They walk out the door.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Mainstream oncologists will tell you that cancer is a disease of genetic mutation. If that were true then you would not hear so many of these cases of people who go through different types of cancer ......while other people don't get cancer at all.

Cancer is a disease of cellular energy loss. Random gene mutation is an effect of the energy loss.

The reason why mainstream oncology blames gene mutation is that cancer patients get cancer via lifestyles which they will refuse to change even if it means death. Telling them to change what they are doing only has one effect. They walk out the door.
His dad and brother both had cancer.