Ding Repair kits

Waldo

Duke status
Jan 24, 2002
Shangri-La
I have to confess: I'm a total goof when it comes to repairing dings. I'm very careful not to get them to begin with, but once I do, I usually end up paying somebody to fix them.

But since I'll be travelling next month, I want to get a ding repair kit to take along. I'll be in Costa Rica, and I know there are people there who can help me with anything major, so I just want a way to deal with little rock impacts, etc.

What do you all recommend?

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
For a temporary fix on small dings I've used clear packing tape before, but it has to be on a relatively flat area (like the bottom, deck, or rounded rails towards the center of the board). You have to be sure there aren't any wrinkles or it will leak water. Duct tape usually leaks water.

I always see small ding repair kits in surfshops so that is an option, but probably a messy one.

You could also use that sun cure resin (Solarez?) just to keep it watertight until you can get someone to fix it back home. Just be sure to sand down the sharp edges.

I've fixed my share of dings with fairly good results, but it's usually more of a hassle for me than it's worth, IMO. Most of the time I'd rather pay someone to do it.

diroberts

Miki Dora status
Apr 14, 2003
ProHoVille
waldo -
in all the research i've been doing for the last month, most travel operators suggest bringing along a small ding repair kit that has *UV-curing* resin. This way, you can leave your board in the sun and the UV rays will aid in the resin's ability to harden up quickly.

i don't know if Quick Fix from Surf Co. Hawaii fits that description and i don't know any specific brands. for more on UV repair kits see:

http://forum.surfermag.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000016

[ June 07, 2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: diroberts ]

yeahdanny

Michael Peterson status
Oct 27, 2002
port angeles, wa
the quick fix kit is your best bet
includes uv resin, fiberglass cloth, sandpaper, dragonsskin, foam, scissors, etc etc. all you need is some saran wrap, and you're good to go. just sand down the area to rough it up, clear out all debris, pour on some uv resin, tape a piece of saran wrap overtop to make it nice and smooth to begin with, let it cure, take off saran wrap, sand down to your desire, and ride. it takes a lotta dings before you get really proficient at it, but once you do, then start using real resin and filler and stuff. its great knowledge to have, just in case.