Different strains....

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Awesome advice - thanks!

Previous owners left us some PVC piping, easy enough to cut that up and configure a cage with some plastic wrap around it. Good idea. I'm a pathetic geologist - no idea where my (or any) hand lens is, gotta get a new one. Yeah, when I harvested the first one, using a camera zoom, trichromes were mostly milky but none were brown. OK, lessons learned.

We have a drip irrigation system going so can generally regulate. I think the grow bags we have are 15 gallons, maybe 20.

In meantime, here is the other plant, definitely needs more time but is looking good so far.

View attachment 138819
You don't have to harvest the whole plant at once either. I will be happy to get a 2 footer for this short season attempt.

It don't freeze at my place, so I try to always have something going.
Soak em
1664545896416.png

Sorry for fuzzy pic, shows the seed cracking open and the tongue sticking out, seeds are in pots now
1664546048147.png

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
prefer keeping an optimum root environment as much as possible. sorta feel like the flood dry cycle in small pots <30ga compacts the soil and flushes nutrients as well as subjects the root zone to unnecessary temperature swings

i like 100ga bags or raised box style beds. more mass=homeostasis=more better. water lighter (drippers/mini-sprayers) but more frequently and mulching to keep soil moisture and temperature within its happy zone. adjust water for daily weather temps/humidity as well as growth stage and feed as needed or a couple times a month.

inch or two of drain rock in the bottom of the bags so their feet dont stay wet and your good to go

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
prefer keeping an optimum root environment as much as possible. sorta feel like the flood dry cycle in small pots <30ga compacts the soil and flushes nutrients as well as subjects the root zone to unnecessary temperature swings

i like 100ga bags or raised box style beds. more mass=homeostasis=more better. water lighter (drippers/mini-sprayers) but more frequently and mulching to keep soil moisture and temperature within its happy zone. adjust water for daily weather temps/humidity as well as growth stage and feed as needed or a couple times a month.

inch or two of drain rock in the bottom of the bags so their feet dont stay wet and your good to go
This all makes sense. You are definitely more of an expert than I am. I was just relaying what has worked well for me and what I've been told by local growers around me that I look up to. Aloha.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I've been doin' this for a few years and here's what I know: Sun, food, water...start in the spring with seeds or clones (might require some extra light to keep from flowering too early plus shouldn't be planted until the first week of June). Start seeds in March, clones can be in April, up plant to bigger pots as needed, think 'breakfast, lunch, dinner' with chicken sh!t (Stutzman-the standard of the industry) or something similar added each replant. Weed can take as much water as you can give it, provided there is good drainage--remember 'Missouri ditch weed'? I have drippers on timers doing 1/2g/hr per dripper 4 times a day, 15mins each time. All.summer.long. Can add high phosphorous fertilizers late but before than a nitrogen hit ain't bad. In an 840 sq ft bed we put 20 bags of Stutzman and 2 bags of triple 4...Dr. Earth is good.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Me: all about the soil, all about water quality, NO TILL EVER!!!

Every year you grow, add soil, nutrients, etc... but never bother the soil at the end of the season, and definitely do not at the beginning of the next season either.

I use buckets with the bottoms cut out, for water retention and to avoid nutrient runoff. Place the open bottom buckets, with two rows of holes drilled at the lower end, a few inches into the soil beds from the previous year. Water, add nutrients as needed. At the end of the plants life cycle, after harvesting, simply lift the bucket and let the soil settle, covered.

Water is ubber important. Quality is my obsession. Fill 1000 liter deposits early, use fish tank bubblers connected to small solar panels to keep it aerated. Connect drip irrigation from deposits. Add nutrients to the water, not only the soil. Diluted, they are much more easy to assimilate by the plant. Be carefull to not use particle matter nutrients in the water, they only clog your drip lines, those go straight into amending the soil, preferably before the plant is placed into the soil. But teas and liquid ferts are A-OK.

So many other nuances.

One important tip, find out the classification of your grow zone, it helps immensely in terms of when to do what.

After 20+ years of this method, the cost of nutrients is practically zero as the soil is "prepped" before the seed is germinated.

The guy who showed me decades ago always stressed the following:
"A grower that knows what they are doing works the soil when the plants are not present, so they can relax and let the plant do the work while it grows".

IE: pre-prepped soil doesn't need anything but watering.

Peas,
9'4''

P.S. for those who are just starting out, try to simulate the Hugel Kultur methods as much as possible for guaranteed success.

:waving::shaka:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

• Wow
Reactions: rowjimmytour

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
@santacruzin have you ever made thai sticks? Love to try but never made hash.
I have. Fun experiment but too labor intensive for me.

‘’when I was in high school our friends older brothers drug dealer hooked us up with Thai stick dipped in opium and hash.
that sh!t was rocket fuel to la La land

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I have. Fun experiment but too labor intensive for me.

‘’when I was in high school our friends older brothers drug dealer hooked us up with Thai stick dipped in opium and hash.
that sh!t was rocket fuel to la La land
Very early teen ages would get very lost in space:socrazy:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Or if Fusarium Wilt makes an appearance, it's all over. Sigh, ask me how I know.
Cool foggy summer brought this to my tomatoes......was able to cut away most of it and get some tomatoes, but it is back as of last week. Am thinking it is just endemic in the foggy yards.

And if it isn't exactly Fusarium Wilt, presents the same:

1665772236289.png

Reactions: Aruka

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Skitz Update:

Whole plant, lots of nuggalicious stalks, love it but questions below:

1665786351028.jpeg

Top nug looking really nice, smells so good too.

1665786371801.jpeg

Looking at everything, probably still a couple weeks out from harvesting although might have to be in stages as some are more developed than others. Top nug above looking so good and better ever day.

However, looking at the far shot, the top leaves are progressively purpling every day but the bottom area is starting to turn yellowish. Is that normal/OK? Temperatures have been in high 40s at night and mid to high 70s during day with dwindling daylight every day that passes.

Using Fox Farm Bloom fertilizer and watering just a bit every 3 days or so.

Want to make sure I do this plant right. It's not that the Apple Fritter didn't turn out well and some of the nugs coming from bottom of jars as they cure/burp are crippling but I know it could have ended up even better with an even better yield. Even so, sh!t, a few ounces for less than $100 for materials without even counting Skitz above? Money saver. Should have done this years ago.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just ordered some more... hmmmmm... such a sweet out of control addiction. I'm absofuckinglitely addicted to this crap,. whoever says you can't get addicted to weed is clueless. Sure, you won't tremble and sweat life a MOFO if you're out, but it's still an addiction when you can't stop and can't control how much you smoke. Why does it have to be so fucking good?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
any recommendations for what bags/process to use for just a couple plants? I want to wash and press most of what I pull off my two outdoor plants. My Runtz got brown mold from that rain last weekend so I chopped her this afternoon. She’s a little early but i’d rather salvage what i can. The tall sativa is still doing well - I’m thinking end of october for that one.

Looked at the rooted cutting a friend gave me, and it is all brown mold/fusarium wilt. Too much fog/drizzle for last few weeks I'd guess, and I guess the brown mold/fusarium wilt spread to it from the tomato.