Different strains....

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
for real. It’s finally fully legal in NY to grow and possess and smoke etc, I gotta grow at least one crop of a half dozen plants, if only to cross it off the anarchist’s cookbook bucket list I began 30 years ago

I grew a plant in my dorm room closet freshman year, it grew about a foot, seemed really healthy, under a small grow lamp. I transplanted it at the end of the semester in the woods behind my parents house, in a sunny clearing, and it dried out and died in less than a week. 25 years later, it’s time to give it a real shot. get me a tent and nice big lamp(s)

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
for real. It’s finally fully legal in NY to grow and possess and smoke etc, I gotta grow at least one crop of a half dozen plants, if only to cross it off the anarchist’s cookbook bucket list I began 30 years ago

I grew a plant in my dorm room closet freshman year, it grew about a foot, seemed really healthy, under a small grow lamp. I transplanted it at the end of the semester in the woods behind my parents house, in a sunny clearing, and it dried out and died in less than a week. 25 years later, it’s time to give it a real shot. get me a tent and nice big lamp(s)
I can't believe I gave away my copy of the Anarchist's Cookbook. The original edition too, not the current watered down one.

Completely legal here to grow 2 plants in the backyard and 6 indoors. Indoor is a little tricky as there isn't a quality space that is ALSO well ventilated. But outdoors... most definitely NOT lacking for sunlight. Plants almost died during heat wave but are coming back strong; every day see progress. :jamon:

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
yeah i wonder if my little plant back in college just got straight up sunburnt to death. it went from one month of infancy/toddlerhood in a closet with a modest grow light, to full summer sun, in an instant. That was probably too much for the little guy (or girl)

Also (and this is probably more likely what killed it) the plant went from a milk carton full of fancy potting soil, to an oak and laurel forest soil, which as I understand it, is usually very acidic from the oak trees

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
yeah i wonder if my little plant back in college just got straight up sunburnt to death. it went from one month of infancy/toddlerhood in a closet with a modest grow light, to full summer sun, in an instant. That was probably too much for the little guy (or girl)

Also (and this is probably more likely what killed it) the plant went from a milk carton full of fancy potting soil, to an oak and laurel forest soil, which as I understand it, is usually very acidic from the oak trees
Agreed and especially about the acidic soil. Hey, worth a shot and you live and learn. I've learned a ton about what NOT to do just based on the last couple months. Initial storage out of the way in the laundry room was bad. Even though a window, I think just too much moisture. In a small pot for too long, too. As soon as we put them in the respective grow bags, they started flourishing.

Native soil up here is a fatty clay, which I understand weed doesn't do too well with. Not to mention other plants.

Also, as far as soil/mulch, everything Home Depot has is pretty much sh!t. Tons of local places, though, to get all you want and a solid variety too. Hindsight would have us NOT getting a cubic yard worth in one shot. The suspension of the Subie was angry. Resigned to its fate but angry. :roflmao:

Good thing the place is barely a mile down the road. To keep this on topic, I did exhale a bowl into the car to give its joints some relief.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
See how can growing grass NOT be fun?! Hell the final product is just a bonus really. We have a great garden store nearby that will literally custom mix the right soil for your growing needs and I have ZERO qualms walking up to the guy we’ve been buying plants and soil from and declare “Bob I’ve decided to start growing my own dope. What’s the best soil make up to get me started? And remember Bob, I’m an Indica man”

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
See how can growing grass NOT be fun?! Hell the final product is just a bonus really. We have a great garden store nearby that will literally custom mix the right soil for your growing needs and I have ZERO qualms walking up to the guy we’ve been buying plants and soil from and declare “Bob I’ve decided to start growing my own dope. What’s the best soil make up to get me started? And remember Bob, I’m an Indica man”
I can think of one place in particular down the road from me that advertises "420 Mixx". And what you don't see on the side of the road, you see plastered up on the billboards.

It is not Irvine. :roflmao:

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Left too soon. By the late 90s NYPD just wasn’t enforcing enforcing weed laws in any meaningful way. Can’t count how many bowls I smoked with my detective drinking buddies outside our bar, and they would just laugh and laugh at the idea of busting citizens for grass. They said things like “the only cops who would cite someone for smoking a joint in public is if they were right out of the academy and/or really hungover and grumpy”

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Left too soon. By the late 90s NYPD just wasn’t enforcing enforcing weed laws in any meaningful way. Can’t count how many bowls I smoked with my detective drinking buddies outside our bar, and they would just laugh and laugh at the idea of busting citizens for grass. They said things like “the only cops who would cite someone for smoking a joint in public is if they were right out of the academy and/or really hungover and grumpy”

Me thinks of a few friends who ain't laughing at that joke as they are still in the federal penitentiary. Three strikes you're out, indeed.

:foreheadslap::shameonyou:

Just imagine getting a daily butt rape just cause you were in the wrong place at the right time?

:socrazy:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I think you can get fox farm ocean forest from amazon for pretty reasonable prices

I‘m doing my first crack at outdoor right now. I’ve dialed in a few indoor grows but we don’t have space at our current crib. Back deck faces south, so why not. The clones I got from the dispo weren’t very happy getting put straight outside and stalled for a week but they’re looking pretty happy now.

For all my indoor grows I’ve gone OCD making R/O water, closely monitoring pH… These girls are getting tap water straight from the garden hose. We’ll see…

Icu812

Nep status
Jun 23, 2013
WEST of 101
I think you can get fox farm ocean forest from amazon for pretty reasonable prices

I‘m doing my first crack at outdoor right now. I’ve dialed in a few indoor grows but we don’t have space at our current crib. Back deck faces south, so why not. The clones I got from the dispo weren’t very happy getting put straight outside and stalled for a week but they’re looking pretty happy now.

For all my indoor grows I’ve gone OCD making R/O water, closely monitoring pH… These girls are getting tap water straight from the garden hose. We’ll see…
You can also get the aforementioned 707 Blend on Amazon as well--ain't cheap though but works good right out of or in the bag. The Ocean Forest is made here in Humboldt and I see semis full of it going down the freeway all the time. And instead of flooding your pots consider some kind of dripper set up...flooding pushes the oxygen out of the soil and compacts it. Good luck and have fun!

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I think sungrown outdoor is the way to go. If someone only cares about just getting stoned, they should stick to vape, edibles or tincutures. Smoking flower is for the connoisseur. It's like cigars or coffee, different soil locations give you flavor of the land. OG used to mean ocean grown california, Anything with Tahoe in the name should be grown in Tahoe soil etc... Getting a hydro OG Kush is not the same as OG Kush sungrown in Santa Cruz. I think as it becomes more regulated, the naming will stabilize. Like bourburn is only used for whiskey made in Kentucky.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Officially speaking, the requirements for what it is that makes up bourbon bourbon:

1 51% of fermentables from corn
2 distilled to no more than 160 proof
3 stored in never been used charred USA grown oak (forget which type of oak species) at no more than 125 proof, bottled no less than 80 proof
4 aged for at least 2 yrs
5 can only be made in the US of goldurned A

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I think sungrown outdoor is the way to go. If someone only cares about just getting stoned, they should stick to vape, edibles or tincutures. Smoking flower is for the connoisseur. It's like cigars or coffee, different soil locations give you flavor of the land. OG used to mean ocean grown california, Anything with Tahoe in the name should be grown in Tahoe soil etc... Getting a hydro OG Kush is not the same as OG Kush sungrown in Santa Cruz. I think as it becomes more regulated, the naming will stabilize. Like bourburn is only used for whiskey made in Kentucky.
There’s all that and then there’s genetics.
Like The Highlander, there can be only one.
For example https://www.seriousseeds.com/cannabis-seeds/ak-47

As for store bought dirt I ain’t particular tbh. All the main ingredients are the same. Coco, perlite, worm poo, guanos, forest product/moss, etc.

Soil Balance Pro?

8C4D4D8F-CCF7-4411-8E88-0D2B232FC53E.jpeg

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
The following post is not intended to offend anyone, but rather just an observation about how far things have come and just how much times have changed. If you still feel offended, check that out because you have some rampant insecurity issues. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

1-) @Chocki too much space between the dirt and grow bag? :shrug:
2-) firmly with you on store bought dirt.
3-) no comparison to the microbial content of actual free dirt.
4-) why has the modern marijuana grower grown to become so lazy?
5-) growing your weed used to be punk, like making your own clothes, or growing your own food.
6-) since when is buying a corporate T shirt of your favorite punk band at Walmart and a corporate sack of dirt to grow your own weed in as a medium been anything but suckling at THE MAN'S teet?
7-) store bought dirt, store bought seeds, store bought ferts....

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

Long live Homegrown, Homegrown is dead.

From when I popped my first seed obtained from a baggie back in San Juan Puerto Rico in high school, to today, where you can go out, buy a seed with a harvest date printed on the package, with all that that entails. To buying a sack of dirt with all the necessary nutrients already infused and just add water basically. How far things have come, how much they've changed.... it will never cease to amaze me, as I still have friends in jail for doing what is now openly encouraged.

:socrazy::socrazy::socrazy::shrug:

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Can’t we do ANYTHING without it having to be some BS slack-tivist lifestyle statement? So you can grow grass but by gawd you better not participate in modern capitalism whilst doing so

• Haha
Reactions: SurfFuerteventura