Different strains....

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I'm looking for illumination from the erBB botanists.
Why is the same strain of weed, grown by different growers, so different?

I had some "ice cream cake" by the Local brand. Then, the exact same strain from a different grower, and the two looked and tasted NOTHING alike. What am I missing here?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Am guessing:

1 One plant not really from same clone
2 Seeds don't grow true to parent
3 Indoor vs outdoor
4 Better lighting/soil/watering at one place than other
5 Better picking time for one v. the other
6 Better curing for one v. the other
7 User error
8 Mislabeling (accidental and purposeful) at any part of the process
9 One was exposed to hours of prog rock, the other had classical

Am sure I am missing things.

Heck, on my columnar apple tree, the apples on the sunny side of the trunk taste way better than the ones on shady side.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Easy answer? People dont know what they are growing and make sh!t up.
Or sometimes a grower gets stoned and forgets which tray of clones or seedlings is which. :foreheadslap:
or they lie for branding purposes. A few years ago everything was cookies, before that OG

Lets assume they are the same
Genetics and the environment influence how cannabis grows. With each plants there may be 4-5 different phenotypes . These manifest according to environmental influences. So the plants inherent genetic traits related to color,size, strength, bud shapes and odor can all be changed by the environment. This results in sometimes wildy different varieties(phenotypes) of the same strain.

Say you have a genotype known for purple. One grower grows his outside over a long season. The cooler late season whether brings out all the purple. You have produced the purple phenotype of that strain.
You grow the same strain indoors in warmer controlled temps and it never gets purple.
Same genetics, different phenotype.

Someone smart can probably correct all my incorrect terms above. We can go deep down a wormhole here.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
We're down to two apples trees now.

Enterprise and Tangy Green.

I miss the Queen....it died when after we replaced the fence (fence post was put in right next to it, think the curing concrete cooked the roots a little and fungus took advantage of the weakness). Produced the best tasting apples I have eaten.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
i only fuck with OG's. that said - there are a million diff ones now, and week to week at the same dispensary, the same strain from the same brand can be different.

i got brain freeze last week. it was super heavy - had some purps in it.

this week got another 8th and it was frosted light green and not nearly as heavy. still good but not knock out status like i look for.

dont really care as lo ng as someone doesnt slip me some sativa.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
What do you think about the accuracy, consistency, and potency counts on the more regulated curaleaf medical dispensary strains? Cause, I gotta tell you, I just tore into some Jedi Cush oil of theirs and that sh!t was incredible. Like so good I wanna go stock up on a bunch of them before they run out

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
What do you think about the accuracy, consistency, and potency counts on the more regulated curaleaf medical dispensary strains? Cause, I gotta tell you, I just tore into some Jedi Cush oil of theirs and that sh!t was incredible. Like so good I wanna go stock up on a bunch of them before they run out
thise big outfits have less variance in their Strains, but there are still differences. Even more so for concentrates. not a bad move to stock up. :cool:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
The variety is staggering. I feel like Im walking into an Apple store when I walk into a curaleaf

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I only smoke the hg that the guy down the street grows. His stuff is actually kine but I don't know all these different strains names so I'll just say it's pretty good. :)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
1-) OG is NOT a strain. OG, does NOT stand for Original, nor have anything to do with Gangsters.

O is for Ocean
G is for Grown.

It generally refers to flowers cultivated on the coast, or no further than the first ridge inland.

It's peculiarity comes from the Ocean air, oh so different than that inland.

2-) to the original question, I cannot tell anyone what other growers are up to, think Marvel multiverse... Times a thousand.

I can however tell you that, in one same garden, planting 100% all same seeds (Burmese origin) coming from the same parent mother plant pollinated exclusively in a protective tent by one same male parent resulted in 45 unique plants with differing characteristics in terms of appearance, smell, taste and effect... even amount of resin produced.

Parts of the garden receive more light, wind, ambient moisture, etc... this all affects outcome.

The only way to hope for some stability in strains is to go straight scientific lab environment, and have one master grower overseeing every last detail.

Even then, there'll be some nuances between the flowers.

It is what it is,
You are what you It.
There are no mistakes.

Lastly, and possibly most importantly, DRY and CURE.

If you think growing methods vary and affect final flowers, there's the whole "back end" of flower production.

Drying the plants.

Curing the flowers.

Talk about Multiverse? :socrazy:

Also, HUGE effects towards final potency, taste, appearance, etc.

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
1-) OG is NOT a strain. OG, does NOT stand for Original, nor have anything to do with Gangsters.

O is for Ocean
G is for Grown.

It generally refers to flowers cultivated on the coast, or no further than the first ridge inland.

It's peculiarity comes from the Ocean air, oh so different than that inland.
Sorry incorrect. It is a strain and it was created by Matt ”bubba” Berger josh del Rosso and one other dude.

every grower has a tall tale about OG. The real one is not as exciting.
3 growers in SoCal developed OG by crossing phenotypes from Bubba Kush, and two other strains using cuttings they transported from Florida haha!

Last edited:

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
First time ever heard the "no further than the first ridge' claim. Thought 'OG' come from the rise of LA rappers appropriating Grateful Dead Pot and going from there. More a brand thing than anything else at this point.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Just started sampling some of my first plant in over 30 years.
Gotta' say, I told the rep at the Goleta dispensary I didn't want a psycho head trip strain, just something to calm and sooth.
Got just that. Nice to come home from work and take a few rips and not be trippn', but relaxed and get a good night's sleep.
Humbolt Pound Cake, smells/taste wonderfull.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Just started sampling some of my first plant in over 30 years.
Gotta' say, I told the rep at the Goleta dispensary I didn't want a psycho head trip strain, just something to calm and sooth.
Got just that. Nice to come home from work and take a few rips and not be trippn', but relaxed and get a good night's sleep.
Humbolt Pound Cake, smells/taste wonderfull.
Pound cake is the bomb diggity

Reactions: buttholesurfer