Did Jordy just jump ship from his own board company?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Haha!

That’s Nominative determinism right there for you! I.e: Name your daughter “destiny”, you shouldn’t be surprised she‘s destined for the stripper’s pole. Name your son Rupert, don’t be surprised he turns out to be an accountant or a pedo.

Name your SoCal kid “Jetttt”, don’t surprised if he’s a bit of a cnut surfer.
I have a friend from High School - Jamie Black. He named his kid Jett... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
Not sure what side of the fence you’re saying Jett falls on but I can’t stand a single thing that kid puts out.

I think some of the vloggers on the n shore have the same upbringing issues as San Clemente.

surf industry chewed them up as groms with potential and spits them out as deadbeat awkward maladjusted 20-somethings. we would call them townies if they didn’t have a major sponsor for a brief stint.
i would have agreed but i really enjoyed Jetts hawaii footage, hes still a step behind cola bros. He looks even better on sharpeye than lost. Zouvi building a team. kade looks great on rail.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Jett bugs the crap out of me. Thinks he can cuss at older guys in the lineup. Thinks he can paddle battle for waves. Thinks he's better than he is. Real attitude problem.
Lol he’s not my favorite either, but he’s going to have a good career. Probably.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Lol he’s not my favorite either, but he’s going to have a good career. Probably.
Maybe with some humbling life experience to change his attitude. He thinks he is too cool for school. Might just be his age.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Will he? Doing what?

it won’t be for being a content creator on social media/vlogging. his demographic has already been there and done that and the next batch of groms going nowhere only crowds the space he occupies.

he maybe has a shot on the tour, if there still is a tour, but compared to some of these hungry as chit guys, he’s not going to go far competitively. The california curse lives on.

I always thought it was interesting that mason ho didn’t take on major sponsors until he was much older, iirc, per guidance from his pops.

Reactions: i_ride_spinnaz

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
My guess is he's over-coached. Technically close to perfect, but so are most of the guys. He never had a stretch as a grom where he could just have fun surfing though. Colapintos have the same basic training ground, but no Dino sitting on their shoulder and you can see it when they're surfing, particularly in Hawaii (put another way, Griff killed Hawaii this winter, but I don't recall a single Kolohe clip from the same period).

You can see it in younger kids from Lowers too. So many insane surfers, but the ones who have figured out how to make it fun seem better set than the ones who just want to win contests (Jett Schilling vs. Kade Matson eg)
I remember biolos had similar criticisms of Kolohe in an interview awhile ago.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Stab in the dark made it seem like Jordy hates most surfboards, even boards that look just fine under his feet on camera.
Yes, which was why I was thinking TP was allured into an agreement that allowed him to get some honest and valuable design feedback from Jordy. However the truth seems much more mundane. Oh well, we have had fun speculating.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Maybe with some humbling life experience to change his attitude. He thinks he is too cool for school. Might just be his age.
Imagine a 16 year old being a punk lol.

I don't really care about Jett. I just used him as an example of a kid who seems to have fun surfing. I might have been mistaken to compare him to Kade Matson who, for all I know, knows how to have fun too. They both look too coached to me, but Jett less so. Kade's style is so perfect at lowers it's annoying and completely un-fun to watch.

Reactions: ReForest

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Imagine a 16 year old being a punk lol.

I don't really care about Jett. I just used him as an example of a kid who seems to have fun surfing. I might have been mistaken to compare him to Kade Matson who, for all I know, knows how to have fun too. They both look too coached to me, but Jett less so. Kade's style is so perfect at lowers it's annoying and completely un-fun to watch.
Meh not so sure about those jazz hands

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
My local shop got a couple of these Jordy/Patterson boards. One I got is one of Jordy’s actual boards sponno stickers and all. No dims other than length but I would guess 6’2-19 1/8- 2 5/8. Bigger than my usual boards by an inch and a few liters but thinking it could fill a gap in my quiver for bigger chunky waves where you need volume and rail line but don’t want to surf a step up with a round pin cause it’s still kinda fat on the face and a round pin will feel too stiff. Hoping to give it a go on that south swell due next week. Patterson is one of my favorite shapers and Jordy one of my favorite surfers so hoping it’s magic. If not maybe Aruka will buy it.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
My local shop got a couple of these Jordy/Patterson boards. One I got is one of Jordy’s actual boards sponno stickers and all. No dims other than length but I would guess 6’2-19 1/8- 2 5/8. Bigger than my usual boards by an inch and a few liters but thinking it could fill a gap in my quiver for bigger chunky waves where you need volume and rail line but don’t want to surf a step up with a round pin cause it’s still kinda fat on the face and a round pin will feel too stiff. Hoping to give it a go on that south swell due next week. Patterson is one of my favorite shapers and Jordy one of my favorite surfers so hoping it’s magic. If not maybe Aruka will buy it.
Jordy was briefly interviewed at the WSL Newcastle event about his self shaped/designed back up board. He said that he was getting some shaping help from T. Patterson. So maybe I wasn't too far off the mark when I said that it was an opportunity for Patterson to obtain some valuable rider feedback.

Reactions: jkb and Aruka

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Last edited: