DHD Skeleton Key vs JS Blak Box 2?

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I'm looking at getting one of these as a DD, and while they sound very similar, it's hard to know. Any comparisons would be greatly appreciated; first hand (surfed/fondled), rumours, wild guesses.

The board would have to do long paddles, connect across flat parts between pockets of solid power, and handle take offs in lumpy/choppy conditions. My local is a half mile paddle offshore, sees lots of water moving around, but every now and then is a very pleasant place to be.

[img:center][/img]

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
Since they sound similar, get the cheapest one. Even if someone has ridden both and hates/loves one or the other, you might end up the complete opposite, so if you want some peace in your head, try to save some cash if that's an option.

DHD seems to offer more stock dims than JS tho, so that could be a plus if you're looking into getting one soon.

Aug 21, 2013
Australia NSW

HI,..... iv had both in a 5,10 stock dims, (170 lbs) preferred the BB2. I found the SK had a lot more foam in the bottom half of the board than the BB which sometimes made it feel a bit weird and "blocky" The BB just feels more "normal" if that makes sense. I usually put K2.1 honeycombs in most of my boards, but in the BB2 they felt a little small and lacked drive. Tried some Parko Kinetics but they felt too big. Ended up with standard G5 fcs honeycomb which was a good match. Both boards need a bit of push in the wave to get them going. They aren't Grovellers. I found that their sweet spot wasn't far off my Beach Buggy, and my SS2 performed a lot better in the weaker stuff so i sold them off. Hope that helps

Aug 21, 2013
Australia NSW
[/quote]Rocker is pretty flat throughout. The nose has a decent point and flip so you can get down a steeper face with some angle, but the tail isn't going to get out of the way for you. Paddles very easily into the mushy/roller/burger waves, which it was designed for, and can get you up and in the wave early for when there is a crowd.

I agree it's not much a groveler. You'll get into the wave, but without the initial speed carried through, things die out pretty quickly, especially on fast/slow/fast type of waves. I found it can lack drive. Most fun I've had has been in the 3ft-5ft range.

Overall, I'd say I have a love hate with the board. Going to stick with it through the summer before I give up on it. Some sessions are magic, others are just frustrating. I sized mine on the foamier side OTR, as I'm a tall skinny guy, and didn't want it too short. Short chubby guys will probably love the OTR dims. These have very full rails. [/quote]

This exactly... especially the fast/slow/fast wave bit, which is my local wave . if the wave putts out, you stop pretty quick.

Jun 28, 2010
hey guys,

has anybody tried the bb2 round tail? im 6'2 185lbs and was thinking about the 5'11 30.8 L bb2 . i have the original bbox (pretty beat up) in 5'11 29 litres but am thinking the extra 1.8 litres would be nice in smaller waves.

also how would this compare to the new flyer rocker wise etc in similar dims.