Detailed Pyzel Dims

Sep 18, 2020
The Pyzel website added some fun detail to their descriptions of the Ghost, Shadow, and Radius. The descriptions for these boards now include measurements of entry / exit rocker, widepoint location, and nose / tail width. As someone who has ridden these boards but doesn't totally trust my eyes or feet, it was interesting and reassuring to see. You'll enjoy poking around.

The deets for the Ghost are attached.

1612285036707.png

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
that's lower nose rocker than I would have expected
given what the design is for (in my head)

May 10, 2018
Why didn't they use a stock dimension board (for The Ghost) rather than a random custom dimension?

Last edited:

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
Does anybody know how much front rocker mid 90s potato chips had? I wish I still had mine to measure.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Does anybody know how much front rocker mid 90s potato chips had? I wish I still had mine to measure.
Kelly's boards were thought to be about 5 1/2". I saw a youtube vid of a CI Flyer 1 being measured - I think a big flyer 6' 6" and its nose rocker came in at 6" - that would scale down for a shorter board. HP shortboards for the average consumer have gone up in width since then too.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Tail rocker is high - 2.5" is considered high and that has gone beyond that. Boards can be made with a balanced feel by compensating for rocker at one end with a complementary rocker adjustment at the other end.

The Ghost has planing area proportionally forward to help paddle into waves, it therefore makes sense to make use of that that planing area up front by keeping it down on the water and not pushing water at a high angle of attack. I would expect Rusty's "step downs" (shorter boards with wider noses designed for bigger waves) to have low nose rocker. The corollary would be that narrow nosed boards can use more nose rocker - the McCoy nugget fits that mould.

Having said that I don't think 4.55" is exceptionally low, but that and the above is just what is going on in my head

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
I would have guessed higher nose rocker as well.

I used of have a 5'8 that I thought had pretty low nose rocker for the design at 4.75".
the 5' 7" I just built has 2.3" of tail rocker and 4.7" of nose rocker and it is looking fairly bent. I am wondering if too much rocker, but too early to tell. Nose rocker is up from the previous version's 4.4" because I thought it needed more based on riding it - although 4.4" should be enough on paper. I am wondering if there are other things going on that affected it such as fairly tall tail rails and rails up front fairly pinched.

I suppose we all have our individual preferences, so one man's low rocker might be another man's medium.

May 10, 2018
6'0 x 19 is Ghost Pro dims.
Fair enough. Still would have made more sense to use the stock Ghost dims (6'0 x 19 3/8) in the Ghost section and the Ghost pro dims in the Ghost Pro section.

Reactions: jkb

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
fairly high tail rocker though. see saw the board towards it tail into a more moderate tail rocker and the nose sits higher. it's all about the whole curve, not the end number!

Reactions: cagey

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Fair enough. Still would have made more sense to use the stock Ghost dims (6'0 x 19 3/8) in the Ghost section and the Ghost pro dims in the Ghost Pro section.
It is the same dims as the other 2 boards that we have added this image to (Shadow and Radius) for direct comparison reference, has nothing to do with stock or pro dim sizing.

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
If I put my boar down on a hard surface floor and measure from floor to tail am I essentially getting the same number as that 2.59 in OPs original post? I know there's a ton of variables, but that way I can at least compare boar roxers in my quiver ya and maybe even bring a ruler with me next time I go shop off the rack for compare ?

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
If I put my boar down on a hard surface floor and measure from floor to tail am I essentially getting the same number as that 2.59 in OPs original post? I know there's a ton of variables, but that way I can at least compare boar roxers in my quiver ya and maybe even bring a ruler with me next time I go shop off the rack for compare ?
no, that won't get you the numbers that the computer program produces, which is based on a tangent at the mid point length. Nor would it produce you something that you could usefully use to compare your quiver. How the board sits on the floor would vary according to plan shape and be dependent on things such as how much does your tail pad weigh.

Keeping track of the rockers in your quiver is a good way for understanding them though, the only way to do this at home is with a rocker stick (and knowing how to place the rocker stick).

Reactions: hotCheetos

hotCheetos

OTF status
Mar 28, 2020
no, that won't get you the numbers that the computer program produces, which is based on a tangent at the mid point length. Nor would it produce you something that you could usefully use to compare your quiver. How the board sits on the floor would vary according to plan shape and be dependent on things such as how much does your tail pad weigh.

Keeping track of the rockers in your quiver is a good way for understanding them though, the only way to do this at home is with a rocker stick (and knowing how to place the rocker stick).
Thank you for explaining. Look like ton of variables wins. Hopefully with Jon starting to put this on the site other will follow and we can all be more informed as consumers. Would be cool if there was an "industry standard" eg. everyone posted their 6'0 rocker dims

Reactions: Mr J