Detached hoods - how do you comfortably wear one of these?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
With the colder air temps and cloudy skies last week I bought a 1.5mm detached hood to wear at a spot where I expected to be sitting a while.

I was mostly curious to see how much additional warmth a hood would produce.

I wore a 3/2 going on it's 3rd season. Water was 57, air was 50s, wind was 5-7 knots.

Pros - I was burning warm.
Cons - Movement was insanely constricted. I lasted 10 mins before paddling in and tossing it on the beach.

The neck on my suit fits properly. I think this is part of the problem. lol.

Now I understand the squid lid, as dumb as it looks.

Reactions: MathDebater

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Maybe just a matter of getting used to it and compromising a little bit, although mine does not feel "insanely constricted."

57 degree water with 50 degree air and I personally would not be wearing a hood.

But......when the water's cold enough, I'm getting flogged by a 15 wave set, my head feels like it's going to pop off and I feel like I'm about to puke, I'll gladly put up with a little less range in motion with my hood on.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
not all hoods are created equal.

had an xcel I hated.

got the $38 needessentials hood/vest combo and it’s way better, closer to a built in hood feeling. now I’m all about no bootie with hood.

maybe need to size up. I’m medium tall wetsuit but large hood.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
With the colder air temps and cloudy skies last week I bought a 1.5mm detached hood to wear at a spot where I expected to be sitting a while.

I was mostly curious to see how much additional warmth a hood would produce.

I wore a 3/2 going on it's 3rd season. Water was 57, air was 50s, wind was 5-7 knots.

Pros - I was burning warm.
Cons - Movement was insanely constricted. I lasted 10 mins before paddling in and tossing it on the beach.

The neck on my suit fits properly. I think this is part of the problem. lol.

Now I understand the squid lid, as dumb as it looks.
Are you tucking the flap in to the neck? I tried a squid lid and did not like at all. Moved around when duck diving , doesnt keep the neck or ear warm either.

Reactions: jkb

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I have had a Patagucci and liked it but lost it. Been in the mood to buy one because my melon is cold lately. Went to Rip Curl and they didnt have stock but tried on a lid with neck and felt good but neck not long enough. Was checking out xcel and Vissla. Went to my local and they had a vissla and bought it.

havent worn yet but seems well made

Reactions: ChaseTMP

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Never tried detached hoods. In fact, I’ve only had 2 hooded suits and those were in the last 3yrs, must be part of getting old! A good buddy of mine warned against it after a heavy wipeout wearing one with the collar that tucked under the suit. While getting dragged under, the hood shifted and completely covered his face. He made it to the surface but still couldn’t get a breath. The next wave held him under again and only after the 3rd wave had passed was there a break in the action for him to get his face free for much needed air

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
squid lids suck. i wear the one with the neck that goes over the suit. it flushes adn i have to fix the neck often but it is way warmer than the squid lid. i may just go full hooded suit next time.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a rip curl hood with attached vest that was great, like sdsrfr said about the need one. When it fell apart after many years I could not find one in the shops and so bought the same hood sans vest. Not nearly as good. I tried the "bib" outside and would get water flush. Now I wear the bib inside and hope it doesn't stretch the neck. Some one on here said it doesn't.

I wear the hood not so much for the cold but because my right ear is 80% obstructed. The left one was already drilled as is now 20% obstructed after 15 years.I want to delay or avoid the drill.

I tried a squid lid once that I got online. The shape did not fit my head. I looked like a conehead or like I had a black condom on my head. It also flushed water and was functionally useless. Wore it a couple times, then left it on the beach for the next squid to come along.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Im not a fan of detatched hoods but the best one I ever had was one of those rash vests with a neoprene hood. I think it was an xcel but just get whichever one fits your fat head the best.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I had a rip curl hood with attached vest that was great, like sdsrfr said about the need one. When it fell apart after many years I could not find one in the shops and so bought the same hood sans vest. Not nearly as good. I tried the "bib" outside and would get water flush. Now I wear the bib inside and hope it doesn't stretch the neck. Some one on here said it doesn't.

I wear the hood not so much for the cold but because my right ear is 80% obstructed. The left one was already drilled as is now 20% obstructed after 15 years.I want to delay or avoid the drill.

I tried a squid lid once that I got online. The shape did not fit my head. I looked like a conehead or like I had a black condom on my head. It also flushed water and was functionally useless. Wore it a couple times, then left it on the beach for the next squid to come along.
do you wear plugs?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
do you wear plugs?
I didn't. I used to find them annoying. Much more so than a hood. A month ago I got water in my ear that I couldn't get out, so now I do, in the bad ear. I also rinse my ears with alcohol/vinegar after every surf.

The other day in relatively large surf, after getting rolled caught inside, the ear plug felt like it got jammed down into my ear and I couldn't pull it out. It felt slippery. I had to wait until after the session to get it out.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Might be worth experimenting and trying to find some ear plugs that work for you rather than dealing with hoods that don’t full do the same job (if cold water can still get in).

Reactions: SurfMission

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Might be worth experimenting and trying to find some ear plugs that work for you rather than dealing with hoods that don’t full do the same job (if cold water can still get in).
High end ear plugs are more expensive than hoods. I tried most of them over the last few years as my right ear is around 80% shut. Stupid things never stay put so I would spend most of my sessions constantly fiddling with them trying to get them to stay. Finally switched to the hood and never looked back.

I think keeping the wind out is more important than keeping cold water out. :shrug:

surfwhere

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 5, 2008
Norf Cackalacka
Visit site

If I need a hood while worrying about flushes then attached only, air low 50s to below freezing with water temp below 52. I've got a hood with the neck that I've used a couple times with 4/3s but it sucks. I'd rather have built in. Attached hood 4/3s are killer but water gets colder here so mine is 5/4. If the waters not cold enough for the 5/4 then I wear a thin chinner like the link above. The last one I got was "borrowed" from Rob, he's sponsored so ...

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and Mr J

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Blows my mind that the water is warm enough for a 3/2 and you want to wear a hood! (& honestly it’s not that cold in Ca ever is it?)

Anyway, hood attached to a poly pro vest Has worked well for me. Never noticed it affect the neck seal of my suit when it’s warmed up enough to ditch it. I have an xcel one but it’s a good few years old

Ear plug wise, custom moulded plugs are the best way to go. Stay in, comfortable, easy enough to remove and not that costly, at least over here. Worth the investment.
Like these

Also if it’s REALLY cold enough to NEED a hood, worrying about not having ice cream headaches outweighs any kind of worry about mobility.

YMMV obvs