Delta Air to the Islands

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Anyone flown Delta lately and how strict are they on Board 115" measurements? thanks
I think if you're on a larger plane like a 737 there's probably a little leeway especially if you're ponying up for First Class.

If you're flying economy and bringing a gun for the Eddie, I'd plan on asking someone what they have under their house when you get there.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Coach to Maui with just a couple boards but might go North of the 115" by few inches but under weight I imagine . Seems most weigh and not measure unless huge.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Coach to Maui with just a couple boards but might go North of the 115" by few inches but under weight I imagine . Seems most weigh and not measure unless huge.
Not to crawl up your ass but you're flying from California to Kahului on something pretty big, or do you connect from Honolulu or something on a crop duster? I avoid some of the Delta Connect flights where I think it'll be sketch to get the boards on.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Not to crawl up your ass but you're flying from California to Kahului on something pretty big, or do you connect from Honolulu or something on a crop duster? I avoid some of the Delta Connect flights where I think it'll be sketch to get the boards on.
Oh my sounds Dirty. First off the rules are rules per Delta and just asking if anyone has experience. Most have measurements along with weight and only been measured once flying.

Will be direct

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Oh my sounds Dirty. First off the rules are rules per Delta and just asking if anyone has experience. Most have measurements along with weight and only been measured once flying.

Will be direct
I generally fly Delta and my bags are generally close-ish and I've never been measured.

Reactions: grg

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Probably all depends on who you encounter at check in. Couple of years ago we went to PR with another family and we flew the same airline but were on different flights. I had no problem but the other family got busted for a boardbag being too big and that they had packed clothes in with the boards as padding which is apparently a nono with some airlines. It ended up costing them an extra $250 on the way down. On the way home with the same airline and packed the same way they did not get dinged. If you encounter someone at the counter who wants to bust your stones you could end up with a problem.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Oh yes I believe that 100%. They are like a Judge and DMV rolled up into one and you only hope nobody has pissed them off before you. Kill'em with kindness is my approach.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
Flew Delta to Indo via Korean Air in August and they broke out a tape measure when I checked in on a 6’10” bag.

Then my boards didn‘t make the flight. When they arrived the day after I did, all three boards in said bag had smashed tails and various other signs of mishandling. Don‘t know if that was TSA or Korean Air, but it was less than ideal.

• Sad
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Shoots

I am now prob not going to Maui since my place I usually stay at is booked along with alot of the Island.

So, now looking for somewhere else to go (warm) with 10 days off.

Open for suggestions for Dec travel

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
Barbados? Likely a north swell, island is full on party mode up til Boxing Day. Idk, a bit far from the west coast USA.

One time to hnl from ewr on delta and never again. To hnl, no issue. Coming home, wrong dialect and skin color. I knew it was over when it Started Off “how many boards?” charged per board and for the two over length was like a 3x bonus charge. (I did have 5 boards, one with glass ons in one bag that weighed total 44 lbs with a wheel less bag with bubble wrap). This was early March too, the circus had left. After I calmed down, wrote a letter highlighting the difference in approach and received a voucher for the difference where I had to physically go to the airport to redeem. Like 20 years ago. Still pist from it.
100% on the puddle jumper to other islands

Reactions: grg
Nov 30, 2022
Charleston
Anyone flown Delta lately and how strict are they on Board 115" measurements? thanks
Yes, as per delta baggage policy. Bags measuring more than 115 linear inches (292 centimeters) in length will not be accepted as checked baggage or hold luggage. You must keep it near 45 linear..